Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

More skills?

We are going to be revising the skills soon(don't worry there won't be any exp or item wipes), these are a list of the skills there will be:

-Alchemy

-Potion

-Harvesting

-Magic

-Blacksmithing (only metal items)

-Crafting (wood/leather/bone item manufacturing)

-Jewelry

-Summoning

-Shapeshifting

-Attack*

-Defense

*we are planning on making sub-skills for each weapon class that you will have to lvl up in.

My question for everyone is, are there any other new skills that you think would be good in EL? We don't have to limit ourselves to just these skills, there can be more. Please give detailed explainations on the new skill and how it would work.

Please read my entire post before you post here! Do not post things such as "i want more spells, i want 2 ride horses" or anything i already stated in my first post here! Any irrelevant or redundant posts will be deleted!

--Magic

What about alignments? A player can choose black-magic or holy-magic having a different set of spells for the alignment they choose. Both with advantages/disadvantages.

[EDIT, more detail :-)]

So if a player were to choose blackmagic, they could cast spells such as harm or life drain. Yet they could not cast 'nice' spells such as remote heal or restoration.

A holymage could have spells such as remote heal and restoration, whereas, they couldnt use harmful spells like drain etc

A Mage's alignment would be chosen by perhaps the type of school he/she goes to. Go to map 1 for blackmage school, or school on map 2 for holymage school etc.

Is that enough detail?

More and new skills give the players new opportunities and can make more fun. But it will be harder to level them. If we split existing skills, then we will have to lower the requirements for certain items.

It would be interesting to have a "weaving" skill just for clothes (dresses, coats, pants, swim suits :brooding: ) and the "crafting" skill for other leather/wood/bone items such as armours or wooden weapons (staffs, bows, arrows,..) and maybe even new items (e.g. bony amulets, decorations, quest items, bags/belts..)

We could have a lot of little less important skills like this - a "cooking" skill for example. The higher your cooking level get's - the more different combinations of the available food items are available. Nothing too important, but things that make fun and add to the atmosphere of the game.

Edited by kl4Uz

--Magic

What about alignments? A player can choose black-magic or holy-magic having a different set of spells for the alignment they choose.

199459[/snapback]

Why not simply have a black magic and a white magic skill and you must train both of them?

And i would suggest to split Harvesting skill into

o plant harvesting

o gem harvesting

o ore harvesting.

If you want to harvest ore, picking veggies wont help you a lot. Thats the idea, if you want to do something, then train it (ore mining), not something else (veggie picking).

Piper

Ok guys please don't comment on existing skills or the skills i have in the list there,...just make comments on completely NEW skill ideas. Because there are details in the skills listed that i did not fully explain, nor can i atm because they are still being worked out.

Thief

Abilities would include

Stealth

- Bonus to initial attack (surprise)

- Percentage based Monster Magnetism (i.e. stealth) - Be able to avoid monsters (as levels increase, the ability to get past higher and higher monster increases - never 100%)

Lock Picking

- Locked houses, once unlocked stays unlocked for 5 minutes (good to have a thief in your party or guild)

- Treasure chests?

Acrobatics

A subskill in fighting. Unarmed fighting bonuses?

the bargain skill for example maybe :) it could be great :P

or the "stealing skill" u steall some stuff from npc vendors.

(but we could also add: dwarf throwing skill at KF :brooding:)

edit: detection skill... like 5 mana/min and when you find something u get a bit of XP and higher lvl u are, the better you find. Coz its not always fun to trade trade kill kill... a bit of treasur hunt could be coool :)

Edited by Michic0_oL

Why not simply have a black magic and a white magic skill and you must train both of them?

199470[/snapback]

well, that's still kinda limited. what about elemental magics? in fact, you could even mix them up a bit. heal will give XP in body magic and light magic. a fireball could give fire and dark magic XP (this is assuming light = heal and dark = damage. simplistic but workable). or light and spirit for destroying undead (skeleton invasion? no problem!)

the more you split things up, the more complicated it gets, though

if attack is being split by weapon (and possibly unarmed), how about defence? (skill with no armour, sheild, leather, chain, plate)

edit: okay, ignore the above. the new skill ideas are below

it'd be nice, too, to have a skill like enchanting. now, I'm not talking one in a thousand swords might be able to be enchanted (though only the moddables would be up for the best enchantments), but you could have a temporary +5 fire damage, or repair used items, things like that

edit: and what about transport-type stuff? once we can ride horses and swim and climb(go scale that lamppost and see what you can see) and whatever else, there could be some skill involved in that (and if you try to push beyond you skill, you're putting life and limb in danger)

if fletching isn't included in crafting, then that too (arrow/bolt making). if it's in crafting, then ignore

maybe a healing skill, that doesn't require magic? higher skill = better healing, for self, other individuals, freindly animals, and groups (in roughly that order?)

how about artistry type skills? pottery, painting, etc... though perhaps sewing clothing comes close to this already

this kind of thing could extend to bards, with instruments and song... granted, these skills may not draw a lot of cash, but I think it would add a fair bit to the atmosphere of the game(plus there'd probably be NPCs and some players who would pay. or even quests involving this stuff)

more to come as it comes to me

Edited by ttlanhil

I'm trying to keep this thread clean guys, so if your post has been deleted it is because it was only irrelevant or complain type info.

How about these?

Farming or gardening: ability to produce rare herbs or other products needed for potions or essences. I'm not sure how one would stake out a garden plot that wouldn't be open for harvesting to anybody that walked by (like today's gardens),

Fishing: similar to harvesting, obviously, but there would need to be a demand for fish somewhere. (Eelskin wallets for everyone!)

Writing, scribing, or printing: create (or perhaps copy) books. Reading a book scribed by a character should have some probability of failure - no knowledge is gained because the book was wrong, incomplete, or damaged. Higher skill gives higher probablity that the book is right.

Item repair: give Tankel some competition.

Gambling: institute games of chance among players or between players and NPCs. Higher skill bends the odds in the character's favor.

Teaching: someone with a sufficiently high skill can Teach that skill. Teaching itself becomes a skill that can be improved with practice. Another player studying a skill (for example, Defense) with a Teacher gains experience in that skill faster, or gains some set number of xp in that skill. The actual amount of gain should depend on the student and teacher's relative level in the skill and the teacher's Teaching level. (For example, a student with Def. 4 learning from a teach with Def. 30 should gain more than a student with Def. 25. at the same teacher.)

Also, somebody mentioned Thief skills - I think picking pockets should be an ability that goes along with that. That should help disperse the crowds around the storages if people think they might have something lifted by someone nearby. (I read somewhere that a few hundred years ago England sentenced pickpockets to death by public hanging because there were so many of them. They had to stop because pickpockets were robbing the people that came to watch the hangings.)

Dave

Writing, scribing, or printing: create (or perhaps copy) books. Reading a book scribed by a character should have some probability of failure - no knowledge is gained because the book was wrong, incomplete, or damaged. Higher skill gives higher probablity that the book is right.

199531[/snapback]

how about a reading skill which could help you read books faster. add some silly books like `the life of a rabbit` `The quest of the elfs` or something like that each book you read gains a few lvl (low lvls)

Taming - You would be able to control animals and monsters just like summons however they would not have the effects of a summon (Ie. They wont decrease in health, they will have the same stats as a regular monster)

Could even be called mind control and someone advanced can use it on players in a PK map :evil: :unsure:

On a side note of what Piper said about the Theifing system, maybe you could rob players of small amounts, i.e. pickpocket

If you pickpocket someone you take say 10 gc or something from them, if they have it in their invetory

Someone level like 100 theifing might be able to pickpocket higher level stuff?

Erm sorry found out it was in Runescape, and I know we try not to copy them as much as possible. It could still be an idea though. And NO I do not play Runescape. I tried it out for around 5 minutes, after already playing EL, and realized how much worse it was.

Edited by Benvolio

Soul Stealing (couldnt think of a better name)

If some one gets pked, the person would gain a bonus of exp (based on a/d lvls).

The person who died would not lose any exp, or maybe they would gain less exp for about 5 mins or so. The higher the level the bigger the exp bonus (no clue on how you would train it)

Edited by gilthanas

I have been thinking about this Sub-skill idea. I have a few sub-skills to recommend.

I got kind of carried away and put others ideas in here too. Most of these are not mine.

-Potions

-- Poisons - though how to use them I am not yet sure.

-- Elixirs - Current system of potions

-Summoning

--Animal Control - LV's idea above (Excellent use of Charm attribute)

--Animal Summoning - Current system

-Magic (Elemental based)

--Fire -

--Water/Ice -

--Earth

--Air

-Manufacture

--Armors - Blacksmithing, metal

--Crafting - Wood/Bone/Fur

--Jewlery - Current crafting system

--Clothing - Possibly to be included in crafting above

--Alchemy - Current System

-Combat

--Attack

---Different weapon types

--Defense

---Different armours - Better response and longativity from them.

-Agility - Fleeing/speed ability

--Lock picking

--Thieving

--Blending - Hiding/Camofloage/Blend in with Environment

-Harvest

--Herb

--Ore

--Gem

--Fish/Animal -Perhaps shearing sheep for wool for clothing? (Im not so excited about fishing, but people like it :))

-Teaching - I like the idea, but a little different way. It would require a group system. So that a young new player while grouped with a more advanced player could gain a precentage more than normal. Nothing TOO great, that precentage would change depending on the skill defrence. A brand new player killing rabbits while Soldus is in the group (and nearby) would receive say 10-20% increase in experience. It would need balancing, and precentage would also depend on the skill.

In return for helping out the younger player, the older one would get a very small amount of experience in "Teaching." Ohh! I like the idea. Major downside with this idea is that the Gods would be less popular.

Edited by Brom

*Post Edited - point made was moot after Roja posted.*

I for one would like to see how the 4-element system can work; I've had a few ideas myself (not directly related to this game, tho.)

EDIT AGAIN: yeah, those look like the main elements, just thinking how each could relate:

FIRE - could also relate to passion (purpose)?

WATER - also figurative as life (healing)?

AIR - figurative as breath (spirit)?

EARTH - figurative for strength (foundation)?

just a few thoughts.

Edited by Arnieman

Guest Enyo
about the magic, we are heading more towards the 4 elemental divisions

199671[/snapback]

sounds interesting and so does the sub categories for weapons..

about the magic, we are heading more towards the 4 elemental divisions

199671[/snapback]

Nuff said, editing my post. Removing the one above.

Necromancy:

Related to either Summoning, Magic, or both.

This could make use of the corpses left on the ground (before respawn). I picture it not for animals, but for humanoid/bipedal monsters (the currently non-summonable ones, such as goblins). Not quite sure it can be done though, no idea how the corpses are tagged, other than they dissapear when the mob has respawned.

Acolyte:

I know the Gods and quests are being re-worked, so I don't know if this could be done either.. just thought it would be a neat skill. Start worshiping through normal questing, and have a couple of options open up to you once you've advanced far enough. Prayer, sacrifices, creating 'holy' objects.. and perhaps, converting other players to your god (via them redeeming your hand made objects, or some kind of 'enlighten heathens' spell?). Rewards for this skill could be the old fashioned blessings, maybe some divine magical spells (destructive, healing, depends on the god/ess really), or a physical character change (I was thinking a heavenly aura after level 50... or something).

Enchanting could go very well with blacksmithing and alchemy!

Leatherworking (let's say 3 dear furs/skins mixed into 1 leather)

P.s.

Roja can u give a little more details about blacksmithing? i'm slow minded as some1 said in a post :)

Thank you !

Edited by N1k0n

Trading:

Gained by selling or buying things to NPCS (the market wouldn't be flooded with so many items and/or gc). Benefits for player: higher skill = better plat coins exchange rate. ^_^

Edit2 - to MindFreak -

It is just an idea. Experience could be gained only with transactions over some amount of money, or only for certain items (but not only for one item of course) - maybe weapons, potions, anything. There could be also only a slight change in the exchange rate. Note that the current exchange rate is very unprofitable.

Edit - another idea

Luck??? probably similar to Gambling

Edited by Catz

Only problem with trading. The things that only really sell at NPCs (leather gloves, earth essence are some) would be abused, and people would raise that skill really fast. Same with if they bought like 10000 thread or something. Only 1 gc, and they can use for a long time.

Edited by MindFreak

What about a Cleric skill, in which a char could train to heal other's and themself, only slightly more elaborate then current healing spells.

You could perhaps reduce/limit the current effects of Magic's healing and restore spells, and give the more powerful healing and resoration spells/abilities to the cleric...

Cleric skill could also have a replenish ethereal points ability, an increase food level ability...

Perhaps they could even offer blessings, like the gods, but lower scale, like most potion effects. Maybe the higher lvl the cleric skill... the higher the blessing increase, or even the longer it lasts.

Cleric skill could also use the same, if not some new, sigils as magic currently does, along with the various essences ofcourse. Maybe they would even require a few animal items in their recipes as well.

*Also if creating more items in game was a possiblity, then something along the lines of a tailoring or stoneworking skill could be introduced to craft such items. Pretty self-explanitory skills, so I won't elaborate.

Edited by TisiT