Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Opera is free!

Go for it: http://opera.com/free/

I find it to be a superior to FF, not to mention IE.

Has a lot of REALLY cool features, nice GUI, and many other things, now all free.

I never used it before (well, I did for a few hours with version 6.x something) but I am in love with it.

Give it a try.

I've been giving it a try and i have to agree that its better than ff, but for some reason ie loads pages much faster for me than ff and opera.

everyone should give this one a try ;)

I changed to Opera a few months ago because FF crashed my computer, and then refused to run. I like it more than any other browser I've used, except the annoying banner at the top, but I hardly notice it.

my favourite web browser is Konqueror (and since it shares a lot of code with Safari, I'd probably like that too). Pity I can't use that on Windows (which I have to use for a lot of stuff at university... plus the graphics drivers are better in windows so I can play EL smoother)

Haven't used opera for a while, but when I did I prefered firefox

Opera saying it's the fastest browser turns me off though... don't like things that lie to me (ever used lynx or links? or even GET? doubt any graphical browser can be as fast ;) )

I changed to Opera a few months ago because FF crashed my computer, and then refused to run. I like it more than any other browser I've used, except the annoying banner at the top, but I hardly notice it.

199223[/snapback]

Download the newest version then, no banners.

Opera saying it's the fastest browser turns me off though... don't like things that lie to me (ever used lynx or links? or even GET? doubt any graphical browser can be as fast :P )

199231[/snapback]

Umm, since when is Lynx a browser? :D

It's just a web client that has some limited html parsing ability.

Umm, since when is Lynx a browser? :D

It's just a web client that has some limited html parsing ability.

199236[/snapback]

once upon a time, all browsers were like that. back in the days when teh intarweb was used mostly by academics for sharing quality information. I'd rather use links than lynx, but they're still useful (especially for development work, since how it shows up in a text-mode browse is similar to how a text-to-speech bowser would see it)

I coulda said `telnet www.somehost.net 80` and render mentally... but not that many people could do that :P

I coulda said `telnet www.somehost.net 80` and render mentally... but not that many people could do that  :P

199248[/snapback]

Actually, I was just thinking of that :D

Of course, you should pass a request string too :)

Actually, I was just thinking of that :P

Of course, you should pass a request string too :D

199255[/snapback]

well, yeah, but that comes after you (try to) connect though

yay for personal networking! *snort-chuckle*

my favourite web browser is Konqueror (and since it shares a lot of code with Safari, I'd probably like that too). Pity I can't use that on Windows (which I have to use for a lot of stuff at university... plus the graphics drivers are better in windows so I can play EL smoother)

Clicky :)

i think ill stick with FF for now (alltho i have installed the latest opera allso) as i have installed a set of extensions that allow me to use FF the way i want to use it :)

if one is happy with what one have, there is no reason to switch, right?

Clicky :)

199290[/snapback]

looks like just another frontend to a *nix machine... which won't work too well if my laptop is the one with both windows and linux installed

I'd use cygwin for it, and I know it work, except that takes a lot of space

Think I'll stick to FF 1.5. Either way, is it just me, or did you get this off GD.net? :D

Opera is a very nice browser. And I think it does load flash pages faster, at least it seems like it.

EDit: WEEE 700 posts. :P

Edited by scarab2k

Think I'll stick to FF 1.5. Either way, is it just me, or did you get this off GD.net? :)

199384[/snapback]

Yeah, from our beloved lounge nazi staff :)

J/K about the nazi thing.

I was Opera's User, but I prefer Firefox now. Both are better than IE.

Edited by vanyel

Guest funakoshi

no way. lynx and a tty. textmode browsing heaven.

Go for it: http://opera.com/free/

I find it to be a superior to FF, not to mention IE.

Has a lot of REALLY cool features, nice GUI, and many other things, now all free.

I never used it before (well, I did for a few hours with version 6.x something) but I am in love with it.

Give it a try.

199194[/snapback]

lynx rules especially because you can use it through ssh.

yes you can X tunnel with the others but that is just cheating.

anyway i prefer firefox over opera. they both have simular features Opera has thair features build in where firefox allows for extensions where other people extend the platform as a result firefox has more features that i love like addblock and wetherfox.

Here's a weird fact for you: the only Browser Speed Comparison on Google was published on an Opera Advocacy Site, which shows Opera to be about 8x superior in speed in some features. I guess it must be right though, since no other comparison has ever been published to refute it (that I can locate).

Edited by crusadingknight

What makes Opera better? I downloaded it at work and noticed that the normal interface isn't bad. But it seems to have MUCH less configuration that FireFox. I have about 10 different plug-ins for FireFox for additional functionality, something, that (at a glance) I did not see with Opera.

Am I missing something? Why do you all like it better?

What makes Opera better?  I downloaded it at work and noticed that the normal interface isn't bad.  But it seems to have MUCH less configuration that FireFox.  I have about 10 different plug-ins for FireFox for additional functionality, something, that (at a glance) I did not see with Opera.

Am I missing something?  Why do you all like it better?

200892[/snapback]

Didn't most of the people in this thread say they were sticking with FF? :) Opera is more of a clean interface vs. many-functionality.