Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Changes to the PK system. Yes or no?

I agree with CK. Thats a little much of a jump. Lets try something basic before we try that :medieval: (Good overall idea though)

I think it's a good idea! :medieval:

And i'm sure that there will be a replacement for the diss ring if this system starts 2 be used in the game, i belive that they thought of this b4 they put it on the forums and hwo knows the replacement might be a much cooler thing then the diss ring.

what i would like is a more strict rpg system:

Each client has a queue of actions, that take a turn to complete where each turn could take a second to complete with each member of the fight would carry out what ever action was in the queue in turn. By useing a queue of actions it allows the fights to be a bit more automated and fair to people with a high ping.

The order in who gets thair actions carried out would be random for most actions but some have a higher chance, so a 'fast attack' has a higher chance of happening earlyer in the round and power attacks would have a lower priority and would happen towards the end of the round. Some actions would be garenteed like useing dis rings, if you use one you will flee the combat before the attack, and this could have an extra bonus of not being attackable for a limited period of time say 5 seconds.

Something more structured would allow for better tactics ie if you think the other player is going to use a powerful attack you could prepare for it and use a defensive move and block that attack. Some attack moves have a higher priority but lower damage so fast attacks are more likely to do some low damage where bigger attacks will do more damage but have a higher failure rate.

Possible actions are: Flee,fast attack (higher proiority so more likely to be carried out fefore other actions), attack(normal attack), power attack (more risky but possibly more damage), defence, use item, use magic, summon.

There could also be wepon specific actions and possibly more fighting style based actions like thrusting swords downwards, from the side etc. you could expand it even more so some actions are easyer to block than others.

Combat would not start instantly with a second (or two) passing while the client is put into 'combat mode' this could be a slightly modified interface or a new window apearing to allow the client to select the action to be taken for the first move so the person could try and run before combat starts.

This would make combat more interesting and not totally bound to skill levels, it would be possible for someone with far lower attack level to kill someone with a higher attack level if they use better tactics.

Another side effect of a design like this is that it could allow for better multi combat playing, it would be possible for 2 people to fight 2 different people more effectively and could be possible for far more people and possibly entire guilds to be involved in a single fight.

implementing this would require some protacol changes but may be a little cleaner, the server sends a 'start combat' packet, the client then sends a series of packets to put actions into the queue.

the server then takes the action for this turn for each member of the fight, checks thair priority chance to determine the order of what move goes first, then it processes each move and sends this to all clients.

The client would then animate the action and possibly have a log of actions:

start of combat round:

player1 cated restore and restore and recovered 50 helth

player1 used a fast attack and did 10 damage to player2

player3 failed to flee

end of combat round!

sorry for the length, i just kept writing there

1. How would this new combat system affect the server combat formulae ?

2. Will the [if (exp < 0)exp=rationality/2] but also change (I get more exp from a rabbit than a garg)

3. Radu : you should try playing project entropia for a while, and you can get good ideas for EL for both combat, mining and economy (without the need of depositing money)

I suggested we could have skills, and attack speeds, I'll dig up the links. What i suggest now is a completely non turnbased system, with different attacks bound to several keys IE : key 1 - pierce;

key 2 - block, etc etc etc. So there wont be any automatic fighting anymore, itll be all real skill, tactics will matter, not the hours of your life, wasted while lvling.

hmm, i kinda like dns_server's idea.

like say you can set up this chain of fight commands beforehand but you can allso change them in the middle of the fight.

like say this:

you have 6 slots, each can hold one command. each command will be carryed out in order from 1 to 6.

time taken between each action can be based on the speed of the character/monster.

set up a nice chain and the character will go thru that chain over and over.

like say you set up a pattern of attack, defend, attack, defend, attack, potion. at each point you and the monster trades blows, with the quickest going first.

if both attack then both have a nice chance of hiting (faster attack, bonus on quickness but less damage. slower attack, penalty on quickness but stronger attack).

if one defends then he have a bigger change of dodging the opponents attack but he does no damage to the opponent for that move.

a successfull flee would leave the opponent unable to re-attack the opponent of x amount of time after the flee. this to give the fleeing person time to get away. sure, he can allways be followed or similar.

one can even put in a move that gives the user a bigger change of hitting on his next attack.

one can even slot magic into this. just set up a pattern of offensive and defensive spells.

maybe one can have 2-3 chains thats preset by the player that he can change between in combat.

dimov's idea is a no-go however. it will basicly turn the game in to a fighting game :blink: only way i can see it be done is if the buttons chain up moves for the character to use. like say pushing a heal spell and it will be put into the chain. if one require to time block and so on as a player then one isnt using the characters stats and skills, and those are a very important part of a rpg. want the skills and reflexes of the player to matter, realy matter? go play half-life or something like that...

sorry if im reawakening a old thread...

I was wondering, what would you think about changing the fighting system (both PvP and player v monsters/animals) so instead of having 'combat turns' as we have now, and being locked in combat, have a system similar to RTS games, where you can attack only those next to you, but you or they can flee at any time, without "you failed to flee" messages.

This, IMHO, will add a lot of strategy to the game, enabling much better guild wars and such. Most of the MMORPGs have the system I described, so what do you think?

That would be great. :blink:

ok quick flee yes thats cool if you need to run but it works both ways lets say you want to kill

thats gonna suck as there gone before you get to land a blow the idea thats going around about armor class dropping or something in this game i cant see it making much of a differnece as every1's lvl's are so different.

as i was reading through this topic some1 said about diss rings stopping the fight for 5 seconds thats cool to flee atm but pointless in wasting gc on them if ya can just flee over and over

maybe bring a ring in that stops the opponient from fleeing for so long something that would give you a chance to kill your opponient and they would have to use diss to flee that.

your saying about a big change to the system? maybe some fighting skills or styles of fighting that you could train you character in.

the sound of the rts system would be good if there was a system for mages aswell but there attacks would have to be long range like harm and new spells would be needed that you didnt have to sit for hours making essence maybe?!?

there just some ideas L8a's Macca

I want to say something. Fleeing at anytime in PK would be great. but... This will suck at training withm mosters. Coz some peole use flee to get more def exp. U wouldnt get exp without hitting ur partner/monster. Just image that. Thanks

1. How would this new combat system affect the server combat formulae ?

2. Will the [if (exp < 0)exp=rationality/2] but also change (I get more exp from a rabbit than a garg)

3. Radu : you should try playing project entropia for a while, and you can get good ideas for EL for both combat, mining and economy (without the need of depositing money)

>.< can't you see that there is a conspiracy??!?!?!?!?

Entropy = project Entropia

they work together and try to make alot of people addicted so they can rule the gameworld D:

but anyway the flee at anytime is good so you can flee and help a guildie or friend at anytime when you are fighting multiple opponents, instead of dissing going out pk so dis can cooldown and then head back again.

but the other thing (only attacking those next to you) would be less good since players/monsters/animals can run so it's impossible to catch them unless they wait for you to get them.

This idea would be good for wars, but just Pking will be boring, people will run even easyer now.. no fun i voted a big NO!

yeah i agree

The dissengage rings will just dissapear if we implement this.

But now I can hear people: "Oh my fucking gosh, removing the diss rings will ruin teh game and all my work is for nothing! Omg Omg!!!"

why not change disengage rings to something like combat lock rings, no fleeing for 5 seconds?

Edited by Ice

Alternatively have dis rings for use on monsters and not players?

And that would of course mean that fleeing monsters be slightly harder, where as fleeing players easier...but then pkers wont like that and...ok so the other way around? ah but then the n00bs wont liek that and then...

man i would hate to have to decide things for a living...I'd end up saying sod em all and stop flees entirely. "Just to hear you all bitching" I believe is teh exact reasons I'd give for it too! :)

New fighting system = ok

Flee at any time: never...

Im working on 1k diss rings, so I can throw them away when im done?

Plz dont make this game too ez