Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Changes to the PK system. Yes or no?

hehehe all high lvls or something like 70% of em are against that coz it would be much harder to kill someone. i think you should be happy... its a chalenge, if u manage to kill someone, ur good. not just high a/d. but i think we need to put a counterpart to the fact that fleeing is easy. (didn't think of something yet but it will come.)

Most non fighters or noobs think , PK now needs no skill only high a/d

thats not true, u do need skill..

Most non fighters or noobs think , PK now needs no skill only high a/d

thats not true, u do need skill..

199617[/snapback]

I agree - A fight between equal enemies or a against a harder enemy is very challenging. You have to time your spell casting, drink pots, use rings - etc.

I think the fighting system needs a rework... Lets try it out on the test server and see how it flies. It cannot hurt trying. We could balance it so it will still be possible to kill people, but fleeing will be possible with additional tactics. Speed being a big part of this. BIG PKer with High Phy and lots of armor/weapon would be slow and do a lot of damage, while a person with high Cood/Dex/Instinct and light armour and say a dagger, would be fast, but only light damage. Ive used a system like this and the fights are MUCH more interesting.

The biggest counter to the flee is the first hit and the last hit do the most damage. That way a hit while they are fleeing will be crippling. (It will take a LOT of balancing)

Edited by Brom

I was wondering, what would you think about changing the fighting system (both PvP and player v monsters/animals) so instead of having 'combat turns' as we have now, and being locked in combat, have a system similar to RTS games, where you can attack only those next to you, but you or they can flee at any time, without "you failed to flee" messages.

This, IMHO, will add a lot of strategy to the game, enabling much better guild wars and such. Most of the MMORPGs have the system I described, so what do you think?

199167[/snapback]

This will make wars harder

Even pk contests and events!

I love it!

btw it will also make training better !

After reaching the 15 hits/misses limit u can easly flee and att again !

U wont have to use 1 more restore trying to flee

But!

Keep in mind Entropy this will lead at ruining most of crafting economy!

Crafters win a lot of money from diss rings!

so implementing this sistem 1 home press and u exit combat will lead the extinction of diss rings!

i think i covered all ^_^

Brom, I love that idea.. but only for PVP. Training on monsters/animals should be the same, but.. How would that even make sense? It would be hard to program it that way, right? :)

I was wondering, what would you think about changing the fighting system (both PvP and player v monsters/animals) so instead of having 'combat turns' as we have now, and being locked in combat, have a system similar to RTS games, where you can attack only those next to you, but you or they can flee at any time, without "you failed to flee" messages.

This, IMHO, will add a lot of strategy to the game, enabling much better guild wars and such. Most of the MMORPGs have the system I described, so what do you think?

199167[/snapback]

I think that would be great and would make this game a lot better

for fighting... my other MMORPG's i play do it that way and it works

great and is fun.

Greg

Guest Will

The auto run away kinda defeats the purpose of even having disengage rings...the dis rings are helpful in a.running away,and b. crafters getting another way to make exp.if people are too lazy to make money for a dis ring,then whether they die is thier own fault.they were the ones who didnt feel like going to make some simple gcs

The dissengage rings will just dissapear if we implement this.

But now I can hear people: "Oh my fucking gosh, removing the diss rings will ruin teh game and all my work is for nothing! Omg Omg!!!"

Guest Enyo
The auto run away kinda defeats the purpose of even having disengage rings...the dis rings are helpful in a.running away,and b. crafters getting another way to make exp.if people are too lazy to make money for a dis ring,then whether they die is thier own fault.they were the ones who didnt feel like going to make some simple gcs

199838[/snapback]

anyway, the crafting system will change and there are MANY other rings and medallions to craft. i think this new system of flee is great and i hope that it's implimented. i never did like flee/attack. and as someone else said, will save a fortune on diss rings. people just resists change until it hits them in the head and then eventually they see it was for the best and they love it.

If this is implemented, why not make a ring that has the opposite effect of a diss ring? A "Lock" Ring, which will lock the other person into combat, no matter what?

Guest Enyo
If this is implemented, why not make a ring that has the opposite effect of a diss ring? A "Lock" Ring, which will lock the other person into combat, no matter what?

199858[/snapback]

eww NO!!! <_<

eww NO!!! <_<

199859[/snapback]

If this were to be implemented that'd be the only way you'd be able to kill someone :P (unless it was a huge guild war or something along those lines)

Guest Enyo
If this were to be implemented that'd be the only way you'd be able to kill someone :P (unless it was a huge guild war or something along those lines)

199864[/snapback]

well, i've tried a combat system similar to what entropy is suggesting on another game that i play occasionally and there is no problem with pk or killing monsters.. of course when you flee the other person can still attack you.. arrows, etc. whatever means. i really do believe entropy is right that it will bring more game strategy. but.. hey.. i'm not a game expert so my opinion is not expertise.

The dissengage rings will just dissapear if we implement this.

But now I can hear people: "Oh my fucking gosh, removing the diss rings will ruin teh game and all my work is for nothing! Omg Omg!!!"

199847[/snapback]

Well, at least the crafters with loads of them in storage will hate you then.

Why not change the diss ring into a freeze ring which freezes the enemy for a few seconds, so he cant physically attack you but still can cast spells?

And for the fighting system, give it a try, it sounds interesting.

Piper

Edit: typo

Edited by The_Piper

opsy I got blabbering and tried to find solutions for everything people are complaining will be wrong with the suggested system

I think this only works out if you read it all.

Well if the system changes this way, why not lose the turn system, but have 1 turn for combat initiation(sizing up the oponent), so a small(all in one)combat window would open with spells, rings, pots, summon etc attack and FLEE, but you have to decide within 2-3 seconds.

If the other player has clicked 'fight' then combat will start after this time wether or not you have decided. Flee could be a button in the window aswell as the Home key or clicking to move?

(the window could list ALL the players attacking you so that could open up options for specific targetting?)

-if your attacking an animal then you wouldnt have to wait for the initiation seconds to pass

-dissring would dissengage ALL oponents

-combat window eliminates the need for inventory and spell window open at once, and to keep it small it would probably need tabs. Inv/Magic/Summon (maybe it could be shaped like _| so it would fit inside the client without blocking our view)

-We should keep the attack lock ("you are being attacked + cant move") part of combat because it makes chasing animals/monsters possible without going mad with frustration

As for the actual mechanics of the system, it would be fine if being fled from meant the player left standing was able re-lock on the fleeing target easily(maybe skip the first turn initiating combat pause of 2-3 seconds this time)

Then actually fleeing again for the other player would still be possible but now would result in EXTRA consequences e.g. serious amounts of damage.

The penalty for initial fleeing should just be a critical hit? Then, if you are caught

immediately after you run, the new flee penalty could be 2-3 critical hits.

Id say if you left it for over 3~ seconds before attacking the fleeing player again then you shouldnt get the extra critical hit bonuses against them.

So 3~ seconds representing time for the fleeing player to gather their senses.

(meaning ppl training would want to wait that 2 seconds)

-This means that dissrings = safe fleeing and no damage

-For single combat it would mean smaller players still get crushed

-Multicombat = only the players that get re-attacked will get the extra punishment for their cowardice

In order to make mobbing a single high level player possible, then multicombat penalties should be increased, seen as fighting 5 people with swords at once has got to be seriously difficult.

But it should not be increased beyond the point where the high level player has no chance against lots of smaller players. (it would be fun to see one high leveller destroy an entire guild)

So in theory: a group of lower chars attack a well sized player, they initiate combat, (all get the window and a choice of actions) the well sized player decides to just attack before the initial turn time finishes, and they exchange a few hits, the mobbers flee and hope the critical penalty doesnt kill them, then heal and hope they are not the one being chased and initiated within 3~ seconds. (fleeing would have to mean that you just disengage but dont move tiles or the player getting multied wouldnt be able to get to you - needs to be thought about)

If this happens, then people will start planning group/guild invasions of pk maps, so then whats the problem for you high level pkers? There isnt one because there will be more for you to kill! Fresh meat!

BTW, any game will be hard for players with slower connections etc, thats how it works isnt it? I dont think this will make it any more difficult.

so your saying that when combat is initiated then both sides are given a list of actions available to them, and a set time for them to select a action?

then time counts down all selected actions are played out either all at the same time or in some sequence?

and if you flee them any attack againt you is doubled in effect or something but if you survive your not on the list of targets any more?

hmm, sounds interesting in that it becomes more of a chess game where you have x amount of time to select your move.

maybe make it a menu with say 6-8 slots, and two permanent buttons: fight and flee. the slots can be filled with spells and items.

have a weapon on the list? click it and your move for that "turn" will be to change weapon.

a spell? it will be cast. problem can be targeting tho.

potions, rings and similar? you will use it.

default action if nothing else is selected, fight.

targeting should be done by clicking the people in the fight, rather then a list of names, as they are standing right next to you anyways.

ok, this is starting to sound maybe a bit to much like say guild wars :P

and would probably require a near total rewrite of the interface...

it would make the quickbars more or less obselete...

Guys stop worrying so much about the dissengagment rings. We plan on making a ton of items for crafters and will of course do our best to balance items and things.

so your saying that when combat is initiated then both sides are given a list of actions available to them, and a set time for them to select a action?

then time counts down all selected actions are played out either all at the same time or in some sequence?

and if you flee them any attack againt you is doubled in effect or something but if you survive your not on the list of targets any more?

hmm, sounds interesting in that it becomes more of a chess game where you have x amount of time to select your move.

maybe make it a menu with say 6-8 slots, and two permanent buttons: fight and flee. the slots can be filled with spells and items.

have a weapon on the list? click it and your move for that "turn" will be to change weapon.

a spell? it will be cast. problem can be targeting tho.

potions, rings and similar? you will use it.

default action if nothing else is selected, fight.

targeting should be done by clicking the people in the fight, rather then a list of names, as they are standing right next to you anyways.

ok, this is starting to sound maybe a bit to much like say guild wars :P

and would probably require a near total rewrite of the interface...

it would make the quickbars more or less obselete...

199986[/snapback]

ummm no, i mean that combat does not start for 3~ seconds unless one player has chosen to attack, then it starts. The combat window would open at the moment a player clicks to 'attack' something(player/animal, which means that you can heal/diss/flee/summon/pot in that small window of time before exchanging blows, but the combat window would remain open throughout.

So combat does not start for 3~ seconds unless one player has chosen to attack, which means the other player has to exchange blows, but can still use all those options

Edited by Asmodai

so between me being attacked and the actual fighting begins there should be a 3 sec window where people can prepare or try to get away?

and when you way combat window, are you talking a kind of gui window or a segment of time?

so between me being attacked and the actual fighting begins there should be a 3 sec window where people can prepare or try to get away?

and when you way combat window, are you talking a kind of gui window or a segment of time?

199993[/snapback]

The first sentence yes.

The second (im assuming you meant 'say' instead of 'way'): The 3~second segment of time is only associated with the initial click that a player makes to attack something/someone. Once the time is up combat starts, or it gets cut off and starts immediately if the other player clicks attack.

So its both a combat window, and a segment of time

ummm no, i mean that combat does not start for 3~ seconds unless one player has chosen to attack, then it starts. The combat window would open at the moment a player clicks to 'attack' something(player/animal, which means that you can heal/diss/flee/summon/pot in that small window of time before exchanging blows, but the combat window would remain open throughout.

So combat does not start for 3~ seconds unless one player has chosen to attack, which means the other player has to exchange blows, but can still use all those options

199992[/snapback]

Wow, that'll really overcomplicate the interface... :medieval: