Eternal Lands Official Forums
Gryflet

Can't connect to server, Please try again?

Back... But seems to be rolled back a little...

EDIT: Seems to be only few minutes.

Edited by Choris

dammit i lose 800-1mil oa exp, and wasted 7 hours training , bah i go play something else lol

dammit i lose 800-1mil oa exp, and wasted 7 hours training , bah i go play something else lol

197772[/snapback]

While, that wasn't caused by a bug in EL, you were warned that crashes might happen because of the major update or that rollbacks might happen (as one has). You dhould have either saved more often or accepted what happened.

Lol, i know i had to save more, but no mod said u should in a Message :|

i just tought a rol back to start of update for evry1, so no point in saving

it does suck, but i accept it ye

While, that wasn't caused by a bug in EL, you were warned that crashes might happen because of the major update or that rollbacks might happen (as one has). You dhould have either saved more often or accepted what happened.

197780[/snapback]

These answers will start to loose you users very soon... (probably already are)

Sure you can tell people to save often... but how do you save ? It takes way too long to restart the client every *** time I have done something... Guess i could hack up the client to relogin every 30 seconds when i'm idle... should give a nice serverload....

The only solution is a server-side autosave function, that should have gone in before any other enhancements...

Another problem since you don't have server-side autosave is that everytime there is a crash everything gets out of sync... If I have sold something and then logged of, but the buyer didn't log off the goods are gone forever...

Nothing would ever really be lost (exept a few monsterdrops, but you don't fight that many monsters per minitue...)

Come on , this has only happened a couple of times and i think they have done a fine job so far . No one can help it if the server crashes

edit:spelling errors

Edited by sparhawk

Understand what the words "performance issue" mean and you'll understand why a serverside periodic autosave can't really be implemented.

Saving stuff (yeah, "stuff") on disk is by essence the slowest operation that can take place in a computer (beside technical transformations). Now imagine the amount of data generated per one unit of time, then multiply by the disk-output rate, and you have an idea of the drawback such an operation would generate.

As far as I know, there's already a backup-restore mechanism that triggers once in a while. Making it a systematic autosave would allow at most a few dozens players to actually play the game.

On another topic, I can't help but feel indignant when some people complain about things they don't get or things they lose... When those things are graciously provided for free...

My two (Euro)cents.

Many muds have autosave functioning and items can have pretty many attributes. Player amount can top a few hundred.

Maybe different server or hd for saving backup chars would help?

- Cedox

Understand what the words "performance issue" mean and you'll understand why a serverside periodic autosave can't really be implemented.

Saving stuff (yeah, "stuff") on disk is by essence the slowest operation that can take place in a computer (beside technical transformations). Now imagine the amount of data generated per one unit of time, then multiply by the disk-output rate, and you have an idea of the drawback such an operation would generate.

As far as I know, there's already a backup-restore mechanism that triggers once in a while. Making it a systematic autosave would allow at most a few dozens players to actually play the game.

On another topic, I can't help but feel indignant when some people complain about things they don't get or things they lose... When those things are graciously provided for free...

My two (Euro)cents.

197804[/snapback]

Yes... I know alot about performance :) And I can't see any real problem here... First of all... saving say 10 or 1 user probably takes the same time... and a 100 not much longer...

I'm not saying that every single change should be saved... but a full save every 5 minititues should be possible... (the writing to disk should be done by a seperate thread)

Any backup-mechanizm doesn't seem to be active, since people still can loose day's of work...

And the fact that it's free (or is it ? isn't it just an open beta ? :) ) doesn't matter when talking about relaiability... I'm just as mad if I loose a days worth of work here as if I had played a pay game...

Thanks everyone, It was just a server crash for like 2 seconds.It just really worried me! :)

EDIT:Spelling correction.

Edited by Gryflet

These answers will start to loose you users very soon... (probably already are)

So fucking what? It's a free game, and most of those who would quit because of such reasons were not supposed to play the game anyway. Nor are those who bitch about it.

This is the broadcast that went out in the game shortly after the restart:

#Message from Wytter: We are very sorry to inform you that the server that EL is running on has been restarted without informing us prior to the restart. You have lost all exp. and items since your last log out.

Ent exploded O_O eek *walks away slowly*

197894[/snapback]

Wel, yeah, it pisses me off when people bitch about something even though they were warned that such things WILL happen this week.

WoW had a lot of crashes and stuff when they went life, and people are still playing. And it's 50 USD to buy the game, and like.. 15(?) USD/month to play.

So we don't really need those who can't appreciate a free game that is pretty stable and rarely crashes. On average, I don't think the El server crashes more than once/month. That's a pretty good ratio, no?

heh im glad i logged out in the time i did...and some people should stop teaching creators of EL what to do, if theyre so smart why dont they create theyre own free, no bug game.and btw wow costs 25usd per month here.