Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mihaim

Modified clients

Hi,

First of all, thank you very much for your efforts, the new version is much better!

Now my question:

May I replace 3 maps by maps which were already tested and proved to work perfectly and NOT report bugs? Actually, if the game bugs after replacing the original maps, I'd just install the original maps again and test if it bugs again, and only report in this case.

Is it OK like this?

Grossbouff

197935[/snapback]

Are we talking about the player minimaps? The BMP-files.

If so, you should realize that most maps have changed significantly, so you should not use this maps, until the client is bug free.

NO!

And for those of you who do anyway, don't bother reporting in your "bugs".  Because if we find out you did this anyway, and the bug is because of your map replacing, your account will get locked/banned/whichever.  It is just wasting our time when there are so many real problems to find and fix.

197905[/snapback]

*slowly backs away from over worked and over stressed dev* Sorry :bow_arrow:

I will be a good girl and not touch nothing!! I swear!! Hench teh Halo 0:)

*being good now*

JaneMuffin

Busy Busy. Let me confirm what I am doing is correct and ask one question. I have been using the clean CVS for a while now. Helping hunt down bugs. I do not apply patches, rather wait for them to be commited to the CVS client.

Straight and clean CVS clients are ok?

The other things reguarding maps. I will not ever add different maps and I will keep the .bmp's that came with the download. But I will ask about the .bmps that were not included in the client. Such as some of the caves which are convient to mapwalk accross. If you would rather I will delete all my extra .bmp files and just take what was given to me.

May I add .bmp's to maps that have none?

Brom the Storyteller - Bug-Hunt-Search-And-Destroy-Team

Extra note: Should I be compling with an option -ggdb? I do run the client with gdb in case it crashes, but should I complie with an option for it? I do not know what that option does.

Extra Extra note: Please let us know if I should no longer complie with the -DNEWClient option. I was usure if to use it after we released the client.

Busy Busy. Let me confirm what I am doing is correct and ask one question.  I have been using the clean CVS for a while now. Helping hunt down bugs. I do not apply patches, rather wait for them to be commited to the CVS client. 

Straight and clean CVS clients are ok?

Yes, but when you post a bug report, please state clearly that you're using CVS, at what date/time

you last updated, and which compiler and OS you're using.

Extra note: Should I be compling with an option -ggdb? I do run the client with gdb in case it crashes, but should I complie with an option for it? I do not know what that option does.

The option adds debugging information to the client. Keep it in your compile flags, it provides information on function and variable names, source code line numbers, etc. that are all very useful when debugging.

Extra Extra note: Please let us know if I should no longer complie with the -DNEWClient option. I was usure if to use it after we released the client.

198539[/snapback]

The option is no longer used (until we start the new cycle perhaps :) ), so you can remove it from your compile flags if you want.

Edited by Grum

i lost the net about a month back so im so confused at wats been going on, does this mean i can no longer use the client i got when i was in w&w and also the maps i saved from looking through this forum, im sorry if uve already answered questions like this i just want 2 b certain so when i get the net back i wont b doing anything against the rules. if im not allowed can i please get a link to where i can download the new el client from or is this on the main el website under download?

btw gr8 work 2 all who took part, saw screen shots and it looks so kool, cant wait 2 check it out :P

i lost the net about a month back so im so confused at wats been going on, does this mean i can no longer use the client i got when i was in w&w and also the maps i saved from looking through this forum, im sorry if uve already answered questions like this i just want 2 b certain so when i get the net back i wont b doing anything against the rules. if im not allowed can i please get a link to where i can download the new el client from or is this on the main el website under download?

btw gr8 work 2 all who took part, saw screen shots and it looks so kool, cant wait 2 check it out  :P

199906[/snapback]

That would be NO and NO you cannot use those.

Here is a thread about the latest official client:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18140

when are we alowed to use Maps and clients again? in how many day

199975[/snapback]

When bugs have been ironed out and Mihaim/Entropy or any other Server devs say so :-)

Ok i have read everything posted as of now, this is what i want to know.

I am useing a WindowsXP os and i have the regular el client installed (off of www.eternal-lands.com)

what i want to know is if we are allowed to use this type of client, BUT have all the map's .bmp files installed into c:\program files\eternal lands\maps so that it shows a map for the extra places (like caves)

Ok i have read everything posted as of now, this is what i want to know.

I am useing a WindowsXP os and i have the regular el client installed (off of www.eternal-lands.com)

what i want to know is if we are allowed to use this type of client, BUT have all the map's .bmp files installed into c:\program files\eternal lands\maps so that it shows a map for the extra places (like caves)

Yes, you can have additional maps as bmps, as far as i know.

Yes, you can have additional maps as bmps, as far as i know.

IF you don't report bugs about (or caused by) these, as far as i understood. B)

Edited by cayuga

wasn't that for changing the actual 3d maps? I can't image bmps giving a lot of bugs.

We've had people file bug reports on their custom 2D maps. Any bug report filed on anything custom is a high risk of getting banned for wasting our time.

But we are allowed to change the 3d maps right? For example to chop down some nasty trees that block my view when walking?

And somewhat related: Are we allowed to change the textures or models of the monsters? Like making those pesky little rabbits a bit larger, or painting them red to see them better on snow covered maps?

(I tried that last option once, but it turned out so ugly that i quickly changed it back :))

But we are allowed to change the 3d maps right? For example to chop down some nasty trees that block my view when walking?

And somewhat related: Are we allowed to change the textures or models of the monsters? Like making those pesky little rabbits a bit larger, or painting them red to see them better on snow covered maps?

(I tried that last option once, but it turned out so ugly that i quickly changed it back :ph34r:)

well, of course if you want to get a ban-0-matic that's the perfect way

(I tried that last option once, but it turned out so ugly that i quickly changed it back :D)

No, you're not allowed to do that since it would give you an unfair advantage over other players. Meaning you'd be cheating. It's like hacking the client code basically.

Due to the large number of problems we have with modified clients that have modified maps and such ,

during the testing period after the update you are NOT authorised to use any other clients than official released ones.

Only during the testing period.

OK.

I have used modified (bugfixed) bitmaps in the past, but with every client update I overwrite them with the official ones, in the hope that long time bugs are solved. And sometimes they are.

I'm not a developer, but I'm not stupid either. Using modified bitmaps means a lot of overhead for me when I (re)install the game, so I want to use as few as possible.

Only when testing is over, I will examine all bitmaps, and replace only those that are not yet bugfixed. Is the white stone storage dot in the right place now?

I obey, I OK.