Eternal Lands Official Forums
sparhawk

Favourite acient empires

wich empire would you have have wanted to live in?(btw from a commeners veiw)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. wich empire would you have have wanted to live in?(btw from a commeners veiw)

• 1Roman Empire
    • 2Greek Empire
    • 3Egyptian Empire
    • 4Dynasty of Han
    • 5Bynzatyn Empire
    • 6Japanese Empire
    • 7Charlemanes Empire(Frank)
    • 8Persian Empire
    • 9Otoman Empire
    • 10English Empire
    • 11German Empire
    • 12Spanish empire
    • 13 Nordic
    • 14Celtic
    • 15Vandal
    • 16 Goth(all kinds)
    • 17 other

I CANNOT believe you forgot French!

I so voted "other"...

A psychic told me my dreams of medieval times are from France and it was my past life.. I got really into it, learned alot and I love medieval french culture.

**is a history major**

Mmm... all of them have their fine points. But from a commoner's view? Eh... American. lol :icon13:

It also depends on whether you're a male or female commoner too ^_^ In which case, I'd still pick American :cry:

There was no such thing as a Celtic or Gothic or Vandal empire. True, those peoples spread across Europe, but they did not create a single, unified state. For example, Celts in Scotland broke their ties very quickly with their maternal Ireland. Same thing concerns other peoples. And there was also no Anglo-Saxon and no Nordic empire, even after the Kalmar Union.

One of the reasons to be an empire is to be CALLED an empire.

Edited by Mireille

Voted Celts because, aside from being one, ya have to respect any culture that as a 'by the way' sacks the Roman Empire whilst migrating to find somewhere colder and wetter :D (the migration finally finished in Canada :P )

My opinions:

1. Roman Empire

The successors of Greece weren't stupid, and quite a great Empire in themselves. Internal corruption and advancing "barbarians" finally were their undoing... though arguably, by changing state religion, they've managed to keep a major hold in world politics to this day.

2. Greek Empire

Never quite unified until late, and barely lasting the lifetimes of Philip and his son Alexander, both from Macedon. While one of the first wide-ranging empires, it wasn't without its shortcomings.

3. Egyptian Empire

Not too shabby, but one of it's major downfalls was the very thing that made it last so long - its isolation didn't give it much chance for military advance.

4. Dynasty of Han

Not too familiar with the different Chinese Empires, but they were quite brilliant - for some reason, every invading culture got assymilated(sp?). That, and being rather innovative - it took a long time to finally end the Chinese Imperial dynasties.

5. Bynzantine Empire

The continuation of the Roman Empire at Byzantium/Constantinople/now Istanbul. While a remarkable feat at keeping Rome alive separate of Rome, it too was quite corrupt. In the end, the same problems that plagued the Empire as a whole plagued both East and West. That, and the religious strife between Catholocism and Ortodoxy, and the qrowing Arab/Turk threat, it's a wonder it held on so long as it did.

6. Japanese Empire

What to say? The Emperor was not the one in charge for much of the Empire's reign. They had a great sense of honor, and it showed. Still existing (though more or less in name than true Imperial rule) to this day.

7. Charlemanes Empire (Franks)

Not exactly the strongest empire, to be said. Largely more Germanic at this point than French. The empire held much of France, Germany, and Italy at this point - shame Charles the Great's sons could never do what he did... Several dynasties interspersed with "interregnum" for the "Holy Roman Empire" (which was neither holy nor Roman). France itself spent most of its history after engaged in battles versus the British and the Germans, and finally after kicking them out, they slew themselves for a few years...

8. Persian Empire

Hmm, the earlier Persia was able to throw off the Babylonians, and lost big time to the Greeks. The later developed... not sure how, or how they are connected to Iran today.

9. Ottoman Empire

"The sick man of Europe". While they were the final downfall of the Byzantines, they weren't that great themselves - Islamic infighting and being not exceptionally regarded by European society, as well as a bit of internal problems... Literally falling apart bit-by-bit even before WWI, their downfall was only hastened by involvement in that war.

10. English Empire

"The sun never sets on the British Empire". Even now, the Commonwealth is quite far-reaching. Quite possibly, the most interesting Empire, in how it started falling apart - and didn't.

11. German Empire

The work of one man - Otto von Bismarck - to finally forge most of the German states together. Three Emperors ruled the Empire - which stretched into Africa and China at points. If it weren't for the Austrians and the Serbs, it probably could have lasted longer.

12. Spanish Empire

An Empire that at more time claimed the entire New World, Portugal (for brief times), Austria, the Low Countries, and almost France - Quite impressive size, not so impressive when the upstart British destroyed much of their Navy.

13. Nordic

Vikings - well, not really having an Empire, per se, but still quite powerful - their heirs united Russia (the Rus) and Britain (the Normans). However, the Danes, Swedes, and Norwegians were never truly an Empire - though ruling a lot of land, it wasn't really connected.

14. Celtic

They ruled much of Europe - Modern Spain and France, as well as the British Isles. Their big problem - never truly united en masse, as obviously the Scots and Irish weren't connected to each other, and even in Scotland, as soon as they tossed out the invading British, they went back to fighting each other.

15. Vandal

So they sacked Rome once or twice - everyone did in those years. As for a lasting Empire... I don't remember one.

16. Goth(all kinds)

Again, they sacked Rome. The Ostrogoths went east, and not much more to say. The Visigoths went west, and became Spain (after much fighting).

Some others not noted - Austria-Hungary, Russia, Inca, Maya, Aztec, Babylon, Assyria...

I'm voting German.

On a side note - any fans of nationsims here?

Edited by Arnieman

15. Vandal

So they sacked Rome once or twice - everyone did in those years.  As for a lasting Empire... I don't remember one.

197517[/snapback]

Wow - you're old Arnie :P

Errr... vandals....

They never sacked rome several times, they made their way from germany through france and spain, went with their king Geiserich to africa, took over some roman cities in Tunesia and created a kingom over there which stayed for about 100 years.

Unfortunately they got Khartago too, a huge harbour with a fleet of the roman empire. With that fleet they were able to conquer Sardinia, Korsica and the Baleares and, later then sack Rome one time.

Well, you can call this at least an empire, i think :P

Piper