Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

command for remote info on player

there's times when it'd be useful to find out about another player. quite often, the guild they're in

now, I'm not suggesting this command would give anything you wouldn't find out if they were nearby, maybe something like:

#info ttlanhil

ttlanhil is a male draegoni in the guild AID

optionally, you could have a bit of a description based on clothes, but gender, race, and guild tag are the things it'd be nice to have (and it's about as realistic to be able to see them as it is to chat with them... so that shouldn't be a problem)

i've seena few bots that do guildtags and stats, but seeing someone's stats from afar isn't something realistic.

plus bots are often offline

the stats would be good to show before you train with someone.

197288[/snapback]

uh-hunh. and that's part of why I don't want it shown

look. I explicitly want this to not include any stats or anything you can't get at a glance if they're in the same area.

Why is it a problem to know how strong another player is? I think hidding that information only helps the high level players. Low level players should have a chance to see if their enemy is too strong and that they should avoid a fight. It's pretty common in MMOGs that you see the level of a player that is close to you. So I suggest, make the skill information available when LOOKing at a player and don't reveal anything via a global command.

Why is it a problem to know how strong another player is? I think hidding that information only helps the high level players. Low level players should have a chance to see if their enemy is too strong and that they should avoid a fight. It's pretty common in MMOGs that you see the level of a player that is close to you. So I suggest, make the skill information available when LOOKing at a player and don't reveal anything via a global command.

197318[/snapback]

Exactly.

Its a shame it hasnt been implemented here, its so common and so handy too.

Even if it were stats information or a different coloured health bar (which is more than possible) would suffice.

In most PvP games all stats are hidden and secret to other players. But their combat systems are also more diversed so it is not purely a matter of having high attack and defense.

Since EL is a mix of PvP and non-PvP I think that stats should not be secret and that it would be a good thing if they show somehow.

The problem I see it is what to display, but I recall that SKA made a nice concept of the thing. Can't seem to find it again tho...

In most PvP games all stats are hidden and secret to other players. But their combat systems are also more diversed so it is not purely a matter of having high attack and defense.

Since EL is a mix of PvP and non-PvP I think that stats should not be secret and that it would be a good thing if they show somehow.

The problem I see it is what to display, but I recall that SKA made a nice concept of the thing. Can't seem to find it again tho...

197536[/snapback]

In most PVP games? Not the ones I played - I played DAoC for a few weeks, I have a WoW account and I used to play EQ2 for a short time and in all these games level information is available. So I wonder where you got that info that all stats are hidden...

If a low level player wants to see who he/she can kill, attack everyone, if you start to die, use a diss ring and flee.

Relative to other mmorpgs I've tried EL has a small number players, and an even smaller number that pk. After you pk for a while, you learn who are the stronger and weaker players.

Seeing the exact stats of a player takes away from some of the suspense of pk, as if it hasnt becoming boring enough. Yet some system of relative strength would be bit useful. Placid's suggestion of different color health bars would seem like a nice middle road.

Edited by Rend

relative works. we don't give stats though.

the higher your perception and skill, the better your ability to judge the other person in that skill (and crafting is a lot harder to judge than attack, say) and stat. an experience in the feild thing. for a new player, you'd only get "weaker than you" "similar to you" "stronger than you" and "far stronger", each covering a huge range. as your perception and skill/stat gets higher, you can make a better judgement.

but this should only be allowed if you're in the same area. my original idea about what you can get from a distance stays unchanged

In most PVP games? Not the ones I played - I played DAoC for a few weeks, I have a WoW account and I used to play EQ2 for a short time and in all these games level information is available. So I wonder where you got that info that all stats are hidden...

197582[/snapback]

It's true in most PvP games that stats are hidden. I can name 10 games off the top of my head that don't show stats, or you have to be a keen observer to get a slight hint of someone's level.

In the very least, I'd rather they have an option if you would like to enable your stats to public viewing.

Edited by Daxon

It's true in most PvP games that stats are hidden.  I can name 10 games off the top of my head that don't show stats, or you have to be a keen observer to get a slight hint of someone's level.

In the very least, I'd rather they have an option if you would like to enable your stats to public viewing.

197676[/snapback]

Well Daxon my examples are three of the most popular MMORGs with pvp part, so what you claim is no argument at all against showing them.

The problem I see it is what to display

197536[/snapback]

Well Daxon my examples are three of the most popular MMORGs with pvp part, so what you claim is no argument at all against showing them.

197793[/snapback]

You should also have read my whole post....

Edited by Derin

(tc) client used to have a (sorry i dont have a hash key on the macintosh) <hashkey>Player <playername> that would bring up all his stats, and sum up his pking stats at the bottom..Including such features as 'guild' etc sounds like a great plan!

there's times when it'd be useful to find out about another player. quite often, the guild they're in

now, I'm not suggesting this command would give anything you wouldn't find out if they were nearby, maybe something like:

#info ttlanhil

ttlanhil is a male draegoni in the guild AID

optionally, you could have a bit of a description based on clothes, but gender, race, and guild tag are the things it'd be nice to have (and it's about as realistic to be able to see them as it is to chat with them... so that shouldn't be a problem)

196591[/snapback]

Why would one need to know this sort of info anyway? Especially if they are far away... :)

Why would one need to know this sort of info anyway?  Especially if they are far away...  :)

198241[/snapback]

mostly for the guildtag, I imagine. that's why I'd like it. (you know it when chatting in local, but not on channel.)