Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gecko_Master

Time Travel?

Do you think time travel is posible?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think time travel is posible?

• Yes
    • No

Ok. Recently i came accross this on the science channel. Back when super-sonic flight was still experimental, it was belived that there was a physical barrer blocking the planes. They then relised that a plane going mach-1 or faster pushes more air in front of it than can go around it, creating a shock-wave. When a plane's wing extrudes from the shock wave, it creates tremendous amounts of drag, and can cause the plane to crash. Scientists were able to use computers to see the shock-waves, relising there really is no barrer there. Now, if a plane was able to withstand the extreme heat and not extrude outside of the shock-wave, may be able to go the speed of light, and even surpass it, allowing us to go forward (at light speed) or backwards (faster than speed of light) in time. Our laws of physics have been broken by things found in space before, why cant it happen again?(Current speed holder: SR 71 Blackbird. Speed: Mach-3)

<Edit> The law that was broken is E=MC2 (E = MC Squared) by extremely powerfull gamma ray bursts detected outside of our galaxy. E=MC2 says this is not posible.

Edited by Gecko_Master

erm... what e=mc2 means is simply how much energy a certain amount of matter is worth

thr sound barrier limitation was from experimental evidence. light speed is mathematical

gamma rays are energy only, no rest-state mass, so they don't have the infinite mass that something traveling at speed of light would theoretically have

we already can time travel, if you travel in a plane at speeds exceeding about 800 mph, you will land a few seconds younger than those people that were on the ground. This may not be your idea of traveling many years ahead in time but it is a beginning.

Energy and time are definitions, and a definition can't be violated. eg. u can't violate the conservation of energy law because the definition of Energy is "what is conserved between 2 physical assembles". Likewise with time.

Energy and time are definitions, and a definition can't be violated. eg. u can't violate the conservation of energy law because the definition of Energy is "what is conserved between 2 physical assembles". Likewise with time.

195444[/snapback]

What if our definitions are wrong?

What if our definitions are wrong?

195445[/snapback]

Definitions can't be wrong like Postulates can't be wrong. Only Physical interpretation can be but this low level definitions are close to reasoning an language level, so i can't imagine a wrong word definition. We can talk abaut this, maybee i'm wrong but i advice u in advance to be soft with my english ;-)

You would have to go faster than the speed of light to go "backward" in time, after all, even light takes time to get from point A to point B. (For instance, light from the sun reaches the earth in about 8 minutes.)

I don't really know if it would be possible to time travel or not, but the effects of time travel would likely be bad on people.

Also, here's a paradox principle - Let's say for argument that you could go back in time and stop your parents from meeting. You then are not born, so you don't exist. As such, you can't go back in time and stop your parents from meeting, and you are born...

Definitions can't be wrong like Postulates can't be wrong. Only Physical interpretation can be but this low level definitions are close to reasoning an language level, so i can't imagine a wrong word definition. We can talk abaut this, maybee i'm wrong but i advice u in advance to be soft with my english ;-)

195449[/snapback]

I said our definitions my be wrong. Could be through not understanding the laws or missentreptation of data or discovering new things.

Also, who knows, maybe there could be other ways in time then moving faster then the speed of light?

sure, time travel is possible, we do it all the time, just really slowly :P

on a serious note, even if it is possible to travel forward and back in time, it probably isnt a good idea unless you only go back in a semi-ghost form, so you dont accidentally chance anything. and forward just be illegal altogether, because if you,learn how stuff happens, then you can change it, or bring back tech that is so far ahead of it's time hat it alters the course of history.

I said our definitions my be wrong. Could be through not understanding the laws or missentreptation of data or discovering new things.

195458[/snapback]

There are a tons of books about the existance or not of the things without "our" definition. Can u see a chair without the previous definition of "what a chair is"? moreover, exists a chair like itself?.

In my humble opinion, time doesn't exists without our definition.

I'm still thinking and arguing about this with my friends, and maybe tomorrow i'll change my opinion, but now i think this way.

This is one of the most mind boggling subjects, due to it raises so many impossible to answer questions. Interesting though.

Proof time travel is not possible:

Hello LabRat, if you read this message in the future, please reply to it with the name of the film you saw over and over again at the cinema.. This post has today's date and time on it, you know the password, so it won't be difficult, nor will it destroy the space-time continuum.

What is time without our deffaniton? Why can the boundries of time be broken? Many of our laws of physics can be broken or bend under the correct currcomstances. Also LabRat, that isn't the type of thing we ment. we ment accually sending an object, or animal through time.

Edited by Gecko_Master

What is time without our deffaniton? Why can the boundries of time be broken? Many of our laws of physics can be broken or bend under the correct currcomstances. Also LabRat, that isn't the type of thing we ment. we ment accually sending an object, or animal through time.

195504[/snapback]

Well to post a reply as I asked, I would need to come back to now so I could post it, therefore sending myself back through time. It hasn't happened, therefore it will never happen.

Oh ye of little faith, the film was Terminator 2: Judgment Day, and I was sat behind you when you watched it twice..

Oh ye of little faith, the film was Terminator 2: Judgment Day, and I was sat behind you when you watched it twice..

195510[/snapback]

Would your name be Lance by any chance?

<Edit> How did you know i saw it twice?? that was what, 3 months ago? honestly i never though about the Terminator when i posted this. One other weird thing, my dad was sitting behind me, so what i say is, lucky guess.

Edited by Gecko_Master

Because ive edited the top post like 8 times, im putting this here... the science channel had a time travel debate.

<SP>

Edited by Gecko_Master

Would your name be Lance by any chance?

<Edit> How did you know i saw it twice?? that was what, 3 months ago? honestly i never though about the Terminator when i posted this. One other weird thing, my dad was sitting behind me, so what i say is, lucky guess.

195515[/snapback]

Er I believe the quote was aimed at me, not you.

No, my name isn't Lance, I am not your father, and can with a very high degree of probability say I don't live anywhere near you. I am not a stalker, have never been one, and I will have to see what the future holds to see if I will become one.

There are endless universes/galaxies whatever you want to call them that can be either extremely similar to this one, or entirely different. Every tiny little action can be completely different in another. Endless possibilities. You could exist in half of them, but not in another because say your great great grandmother took the shortcut home from school one day. (In that universe)

It is possible to travel between them. They believe that you can compound us into micro-somethings and send us, like a fax. If you find one similar enough, you wouldn't even really notice the difference. Some of them are existant in the past or future of ours, so we can go to them.

Read the book Timeline by Michael Crichton (brilliant author) it explains alot of this.

What he says though is that compounding us would kill us. The "fax" recieved at the other side isn't the same person, just a copy.

The book "Sphere" by Michael Crichton talks about time travel through black holes for about a chapter. Read that book too. It's really good, action packed, just that one chapter is educational. :)

Edited by MindFreak

Mind, that reminds me, the had a thing about that 2 years back. Forgot about that. And LabRat, I had a feeling you had a lucky guess. :)

Just on the FLT travel thing - it has been proven that objects with mass can exceed the speed of light (artificially propelled tunneling quantrinos [spelling may be off] passing through a specific alloy) we have (currently) no mechanism for measuring the relative age of such particles and so are unable to 'prove' that FTL travel has a definite or even implied effect causing accelerated or decelerated time effects (time dialation).

we have (currently) no mechanism for measuring the relative age of such particles and so are unable to 'prove' that FTL travel has a definite or even implied effect causing accelerated or decelerated time effects (time dialation).

195543[/snapback]

Carbon Dating works for that, doesn't it? But exelent point.

travel to the future is possible or so ive read. like by traveling at the speed of light away from earth for half of a year and coming to a complete stop at that point and immediatly turning around and heading back to earth at the speed of light for another half of a year would result in the earth aging 100 (either that or 1000 cant remember)years to your 1. that is in accordance with e=mc^2 too.

I brought this up at school yesterday, and ask what they all thought. Heres what came up:

Kid 1: "Its possible. Our laws of physics only apply to our planet and solar system. When were talking the vastness of the universe, we have a whole new set of rules."

Kid2 : "Are there shiny things involved?"

Kid3 : "Possible. I don't care why."

Teacher : "my brain hurts...."

Kids at my school have no brains, except for a few people :icon13: . Luckly, the the 8th graders are worse. :icon13: (only bad thing is...ill be stuck with them next year.... :confused: )

Edited by Gecko_Master

i would think time travel is possbile so i can be a millionaires like bill gate knowing that a small company name microsoft can be come large.