Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LEXIC

The Main Thing This Game Lacks....

Excellent ideas Arafin, especially the one with guilds where you can change your class. Let the ppl decide for themselves what they want to be at a given point in time. Like breaking up with a god *lol* and start serving another because the gods of summoning/war/theft won't let you become a miner-class player. Stuff like that.

I really enjoy quests but once they are done, they are done.

I agree that something should be done with the leveling system to allow for more individuality. Maybe not as severe as giving a penalty for a mage that decides to level up melee skills or vice versa but something that allows you to pick and choose where your stat points go when you level. It would stand to reason that a mage that decided to have some melee skills would not be as skilled as pure melee and the same would go the other way around. They would just be average at their skills.

I play another game *gasp* that allows you so many stat points every time you level. A box comes up and you decide where to put these points. You get 5 points to distribute between I think 6 catagories. 3 is the most you can put in one place so you don't end up with anyone putting all their points into HP or MP.

A system with something like this integrated into it would not only allow individuality but also give you something to do with a lot of the cross attributes. I am not a programmer so I have no idea what sort of nightmare something like this would create. AFK fighting would no longer be an issue because you would need to be there to distribute your points after every level.

Perhaps you could also allow me to increase my charm by remembering to say thank you and goodbye to the shop keepers and let it give me access to a larger wardrobe. I loved the long tailed coat/dress my old 3D model wore. I'm really tired of wearing the same outfit. :)

please no classes! not unless it becomes more like a profeession that gives you some sort of bonus in some areasand drawback in some other that you at any time can change.

i dont want to be locked into a mages roll for ever...

lets say this is how it goes, you walk into the towen hall in white stone city and register for a profession. while your in that profession it will give you benefits in one area and negative sides in other. at any time you can stop by again to change your profession. but there should be a temporary negative side to changeing so that people dont change to often.

basicly i want my char to grow as i play the game, not follow a predefined class...

hmm, im starting to think that maybe the game only have positive sides to stuff right now, it needs more negative sides so people dont turn into "jack of all trades" all the time but at the same time isnt forced into a predefined class.

By being able to distribute your stats you would be able to have a character that was as specialized or generalized as you wanted. At the moment I have a pretty good fighter that can harvest anything in the game. In time we will all be the same.

It would be nice to be able to specialize if I so desire. It would also be nice to know that because of how I chose to develop my character she would be an individual, just like me. If I didn't distribute the stats exactly the same as anyone else then she would vary in her skills. I don't see that as a drawback in anyway.

It is not a class system and since the choices for distributing stats are so varied your character would have to grow as you play the game. Right now we are locked into all being the same. I'd say that is more of a class system. All one class. All the same. Just because it gets harder to level as you get higher doesn't mean it will remain fun to do so.

I'm here to have fun ;)

well if your useing the games current setup to level every skill your powergameing not roleplaying in my book. i have picked up some magic, some alchemy (very low) and some potions, and a lot of harvesting so that i have a nice supply of money.

hopefully we will later on get stuff to do in the realy high level and then you will see people diverging out as getting both combat, magic or alchemy past say 50-60 is a achivement that you only get by constant focus.

yes in the end you have masterd all thing but i dont feel stuff shoudl be locked out from your access just over what stats you have or what class you selected at start.

that is why if we are ever to get any kind of class like system it would have to be professions that you can jump to and from. maybe very profession have levels of its own, that go up as you gein levels in its connected skills as you have that profession? at some levels you get access to stuff unique to that profession that you keep access to even after you jump to a diffrent profession (anyone played final fantasy 5?).

that way you can get access to useing heavy swords by being a warrior fir some time and then go and change proffession to a potion maker and maybe after some time you get a higher benefit from potions while still being able to swing those heavy swords?

development by doing rather then looking at the stats list and wondering what you want to put points into this time around. i feel i my char becomes more unique with the current system then with any point system i have ever seen. its skill focused, not stats focused...

Yes to being able to create characters with unique stats, no to classes. you were complaining about having only 3 classes, well by the time there are enough classes to make everyone happy, they will just cover every possible combination already available, so it becomes just a name.

Also, Sativa, I like the pick a stat idea, but I have a modified version. How about saying that instead of getting so many points and limiting how many can be used on one thing, how about this:

You get like 100 points. You can spend them as you like on stats. However, since everyone would just want to raise phys, phys costs like 30 points for 1 level. However, instinct, which is a less desirable stat, costs like 15. Basically, you can get a few points of a good stat, or a lot of a weak stat.

nah, in the end all stats will have a impact (we just have to figure out what).

allso, the stats have so low a impact on the effect of skills that i dont realy see what the problem is right now...

lik i said, skills make the char, not stats...

ya ive been trying to get my e-mail near my name on volunteers page...but some ppl are evil (for whoever said they couldnt contact me or something ;)) Well heres what i wanted to do for a quest, this is for grubani the two towns are at war and stuff and there is a man in each town who would hire u to work for them against the other town..of course you couldnt work for both. So say finishing the quests (these quests will be hard since its in a hard area) for one town will improve a certain basic attribute and cross attributes and finishing the other town increases different attributes and stuff. That way people will end up different depending on the path they choose (one town will probably be bad and one good). And lexic there are some secret spots in the castle go try to find them if u want secrets :)

I have developed everything except manu, which mine is 10, and summoning, mine is 0. I got my potion level over 30 by making body restoration potions because I like to kill monsters. I am far from being a powergamer. I have created my own little world within the game and it suites me fine.

However, my level xx harvest is the same as so and so's level xx harvest. My level xx combat is the exact same as so and so's level xx combat. I have no more dexterity, no dodging skills beyond what I'm being given, the same as anyone else. My level xx fighter will have to depend on the luck of the draw when she is up against someone else's fighter with the same level because there is no chance that I would have more hit power (or health points) or any particular strength or skill that would make me unique or give me an edge. If I want to develop my magic all I can do is level it up to miss less and gain more spells.

There are skills and cross skills on the little box thingy that aren't yet implemented. What would be wrong with a system that would allow you to distributed strengths throughout them to allow you more control of your character's development? If I decided to go with more instinct and less strength maybe my character could get herself out of trouble by cunning as opposed to brut strength. If there is a way to strengthen these attributes I haven't figured it out.

Unless I'm really missing something about the current system, which is always a possibility.

It is me that makes my character unique. I lend her my personality. It doesn't change the fact though that my skills are the same as everyone else's and always will be.

The point being, in the end, given enough time with the current system, we will all be the same. I would hope for more for my character.

and that you will never get away from in a computer game. it will allways boil down to numbers. and it would be nuts if 2 chars with the exact same skills came up against eatch other and had a big variation in what the skill tests said. someone would either start shouting cheater or just abandon the game.

most people go for the stuff that will help them get higher stats, that how we are programed by nature and social life. no amount of game tweaking will help that.

i take it you want a cap on stuff so that you cant max out everything, i can understand that but i dont like the idea of artificialy introducing a max on stats just to get that effect. i would mutch rather see the nexuses have a play here so that increasing one nexus decreases another and they both have skills that they affect.

allso, that way the game will tweak itself. you dont have to go around lowering numbers here and upping numbers there in the code as you missed the calculations the first time round. i have seen so many games try that and they will never be done as what one person find fine another will find out of balance.

allso, your basicly asking for general levels with your points. or should we tie diffrent points to diffrent skills? so that say getting attack up gives me points to spend in the physical stats and magic gives me points to spend in the mental ones? then we may as well introduce wizard and warrior classes from the start. allso, if say i earn points by spending time doing magic and i push all those into physical stats to help me survive? to me that sounds totaly outside of all logic as no amount of mental training will make me stronger.

the problem right now is that there is to mutch to do for one part of the crowd of chars but another is left out. its easy to add monsters and new maps. its harder to add new magic and potions. personaly i want to create a person that relys mostly on magic to get around, problem is that to get high magic i need a lot of money so i spend most of my time harvesting stuff to raise the cash and there for getting me in the high levels of harvesting before i get anywhere near that level in magic.

give the game time, its still young. dont expect a fully balanced world like in runescape from the get go...

One of the main reasons people play multiplayer games like this is to compete with other people on how good they can build their own characters, and how good his/her skills are at playing the game versus the other person. Right now I see that if you make this game single player, and just add a chat system so that other people playing the same game could chat with each other, the game would be just as "exciting".

Having a community does go far with multiplayer online games because thats a big part of an online game, but it shouldn't be the only part. Yes I know guilds are being worked on, but the rumors I am hearing about them, they are not really anything to get excited about.

More stuff needs to be added that involves people that actually play the game. Group hunting would be a big step up, when a dungeon or temple is too hard for a lone character to manage, they form a group to go hunt the dungeon down to get to the end and find whatever lies there. Also quests can be made to involve actual players that play the game often, instead of going to get the book from faris, which is an npc, why not get the book from an actual reliable player, that Entropy could give the privilage of distributing books to the people that are actually on the quest. It would make the community involved more in the game.

duran I didn't realize I said so much. :shock: I didn't think I knew what caps were.

Just to clarify, I played Runescape for maybe 10 minutes and have not gone back. If it's fully balanced I will never know first hand. The other game I play is a little 2D game that crashes a lot. It has little to offer other than a leveling system that seems to work out nicely.

Since this was the suggestions section I thought that was what I was supposed to post here. I said I was not a programmer. I have no idea what is able to be implemented and what is not. I haven't a clue what coding is and am perfectly content with that.

I'm not even sure what the nexuses are or what their function is. I looked through the forums before and came away with no more understanding then when I started.

What I do know is that I enjoy this game and would like to be able to keep on enjoying it. I made some suggestions hoping that maybe it would help in some way. If my ideas aren't the brightest it isn't for lack of thinking.

Another good thing that would require the skill of exploration would be to put some secrets in the game, like being able to walk through a wall or mountain to get to the secret.  Maybe having a spell that creates a fire, and you can light up lanterns that are in dungeons to drop a wall to reveal a secret area.  Just little ideas like that would make the game much less boring.  

Secrets in quests will be done. Sorry ent, but even though secrets will leak, they won't leak to everyone, let's make the game fun for people that like to have fun. We are going to have some good quests whether you like it or not :D The thing is though, we can't have infinite quests, there will only be a certian number, and as someone else said here "once they're done, they're done".

God quests, yep..they're no fun at all. I wouldn't even care to join a god just because of how boring/stupid they are. Sure it kinda makes sense that a god would ask those things from you..but you also have to keep the game play/fun factor in mind. Anyone got ideas for how to handle this better?? (of course this actually means that we have to make ent listen :)...)

You'll never have fun in this game if all you do is the skills. That's utterly boring, yeah I even admit that this game is BORING, if you just focus on the skills/lvling up and such. This game is kinda more for roleplayers in fact. I plan to make stories out of it that fans can contribute to and such(more on that later). Also when we get the p2p version, we'll make a small difference in the races/sex attributes. on the free vers. too.

You idea of the battle system sounds great too, however I think it's too complex for this game.

There will be a spell, and also a manual way to light fires, i dont know about lanterns. And we do already have one secret area..in the evil castle, not thing thing with the invisible floor, the other one-I came up with it :)

I loved the long tailed coat/dress my old 3D model wore. I'm really tired of wearing the same outfit.

Paid version will have more clothes.

Buying skills/attributes should be definitely removed and be affected more by what you do in-game

I coudllnt' agree more, I absolutely HATE the idea of buying skills/attributes. I mean..sure training makes sence, but the way it is in the game sucks. Perhaps by quests.

Thank you roja. No offense Ent, but you're arguement against putting effort into quests makes no sense. It's like saying we should get rid of cars because some people will crash. It is inevitable that some things will be abused, but you shouldn't halt progress because of that (unless the bad outweighs the good). As it is, I've sort of been taking a break from the actual game due to monotony. I'd like to know when there will be something new.

well i did suggest to ent about something along the lines of a global quest the other night,i.e a quest that is introduced as a small quest that grows over time like another part being added every month,that way it wouldnt just finish and thats it people would be looking forward to continuing the story and seeing what happens,i spoke to slayton about it and he thought the idea i had for one was good

hm..that idea isn't bad vartican, anyway i'm going to post about the final decision for the storyline, which will kind of tie into the quest system. So look for the post soon in the SL section :)