Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cedox

Problems with water banks

problems2.jpg

problems3.jpg

You can see here when shore tiles were put at corners the didn't meet at middle. Also when in my opinion the water bank was in correct place there was a tiny gap between grass and water bank.

How do I fix this or how do I fill the gap(s)?

- cedox

you get a different water bank tile and put it in the middel of the two (that gets rid of the gap between them). and the gap from the grass ground tile to the water bank can be fixed by just place the water bank tile under the ground tile.

there easy to fix, and it doesn't matter if you overlap things

ou get a different water bank tile and put it in the middel of the two (that gets rid of the gap between them).

This doesn't create the to-be-avoided flickerin? I mean the straight waterbank tile goes just over the corner tile and as such would probably sharing same plane at places or at least goes very near?

and the gap from the grass ground tile to the water bank can be fixed by just place the water bank tile under the ground tile.

Oh, thought that wuold cause flickering at the point where the slope comes very near to the ground plane. If its allowed to go under/over other object then ok this helps. As 3D modeler I'm used to make things so that vertxes are at same exact 3D space if an object is continued there.

You fix it by moving it there yourself to the correct place

Ok, that was vague for me :bow_arrow:

- cedox

EDIT:

problems4.jpg

Fixed it as I understood how it should be done: Added a straight bank in the middle of these 2. (Doesn't this waste polygons? When they overlap i.e. are used for nothing. This assuming they are made of more than 3 polygons lengthwise.)

Do the red circled areas matter? If I moved the straight bank 1 pixel from the shore to sea direction there was a tiny 1x2pxl gap at closest zoom at the middle vertex between straight bank and one of the corner banks.

Edited by cedox

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Forgot there was that option, too o_O Baka desu. Looked up and saw it was done almost exactly as I thought except the bank went a bit more under the ground plane than I had thought.

Yes, it does waste polygons. Once the next map format with terrain support is ready that problem will be fixed.

Yes, it does waste polygons. Once the next map format with terrain support is ready that problem will be fixed.

191364[/snapback]

Sounds very good.

Flickering is caused by 2D objects over lapping, which can be avoided by raising 2D objects that would touch by .1 up the axis, but 3D objects are okay overlapping, it just looks ugly to have a fern growing into a tree.

Also, you can use sand-colored dirt mounds to fill in the gaps between water banks. It can help to prevent repetition and unnatural appearance, too.

And if there's a spot that just can't be filled without looking horrible, put flowers over it.

Oh and P.S. the line between the grass and water bank is supposed to be ugly. That's why you make it look better with 2D dirt spots.

Edited by Kala

Thank you Kala this was VERY good reply. Been looking one game map, too. Have to do something tomorrow, but at week evenings I'm free to do mapping.

yeah theres plenty of thinks you can do, just be imagative, pu rocks over it, or grass or plants, or mounds or another water bank, use different things to make it look less repetative, the stuff you have might not be perfect, but thats becuase there isn't only one use for them, like i have used a pickaxe as an eye on a snow, just be creatative