• muslim
    • jewish
    • shinto
    • budism
    • hinduism
    • pagan
    • other
    • I'm not religous

well i guess the only real close calls we really had in the beginning was the amount of certain elements on our planet and the distance we were away from the sun. those are hard to dismiss as not an act of a higher force since they imo were at an optimum level for life to spring forth. but in theory it is possible to create life from a bunch of chemicals. however it may be millions of years (or never with the ethics in science views) before it actually happens on a signifigant level ie test tube babies.

Personally, I'm either Creationist or "Intelligent Design" theorist, myself.

I believe in the biblical account of Creation - that is, I believe God created everything. However, I'm not so personally limited to say God couldn't have used evolution, but I do feel that there's too many variables that could have screwed up and life not formed for evolution to work unguided, so to speak. If evolution happened/happens, then it had to be an act of God, IMO.

I think it's too unlikely what we see today was the result of random events. I doubt that God took out his magic wand and went "Poof! Plantets! Poof! Animal!" etc.-that also seems unlikely to me. I think that the 7-day creation story was intended more as a metaphor-I mean, if you had explained all this scientific theory to people thousands of years ago, or even hundreds, they would have written you off as a quack. :lol:

But, like Armieman said, I personally think that, although it may have happened and probably did happen close to the way scientists describe it, that God was giving it "nudges" in the right direction. In other words, he set up the rules, set it in motion, and then guided it along. If He did make people and the universe to please himself, I think He would take just as much pleasure, if not more, in watching it grow from nothingness with His guidance as watching it *poof* out of nothingness. That's just the way I've reasoned it out so far.

The "Theory of Evolution" fails the test of being scientific. With the passing years, proponents of this failed theory are behaving more and more like religious dogmatists in their unwillingness to submit the foundations of their theory to open inquiry and discussion. Instead, they heap scorn and ridicule on their critics, insisting that anyone who has the audacity to question the truth of their sacred theory must be either stupid, insane or evil. This is the tactic, for example, of Richard Dawkins, who was reported by the New York Times as saying:

... It is absolutely safe to say that, if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid, or insane (or wicked, but I'd rather not consider that). ...

When the Evolutionist says that life originated without the intervention of a supernatural Being, he is making a religious assertion, not a scientific one. The fact that he may be a scientist by profession, or that he conducts his science in light of this presuppostion does not change the fact that it is a religious claim. It is no more "scientific" than the Creationist's assertion of an intervening Creator.

Funny you say that...

In my first term in college, I took a class called "Darwin and Design," and it sounded really interesting because the description named consciousness and the possibility of robotic thought as topics. So I thought "Hey, why not?" Well, the professor somehow picked up on the fact that I was a Christian, and several times in class he singled me out and, in a very menacing manner, criticized me for my beliefs. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy that class (I was a bit traumatized), and I was amazed at his closed-mindedness.

I've met a few people who nearly explode at you when you bring up an issue with evolution--I think it's rather a sad trend. I'm not sure if it is because I go to a very technical school, or if this is a more general trend. I'd much rather have logical, reason-based debates than heated arguments, but it seems a bit rare to find someone on any side willing to engage in such an exchange.

Edited by Tanyia

Funny you say that...

In my first term in college, I took a class called "Darwin and Design," and it sounded really interesting because the description named consciousness and the possibility of robotic thought as topics. So I thought "Hey, why not?"  Well, the professor somehow picked up on the fact that I was a Christian, and several times in class he singled me out and, in a very menacing manner, criticized me for my beliefs.  Needless to say, I didn't enjoy that class (I was a bit traumatized), and I was amazed at his closed-mindedness. 

I've met a few people who nearly explode at you when you bring up an issue with evolution--I think it's rather a sad trend.  I'm not sure if it is because I go to a very technical school, or if this is a more general trend.  I'd much rather have logical, reason-based debates than heated arguments, but it seems a bit rare to find someone on any side willing to engage in such an exchange.

213491[/snapback]

So true.I have a freind who thought that everything revolved around god.Lol we had a good arguement about it all but its hard to argue with people like that.He kept telling me about his pasture wich had "blessed" someone and then he walked.I also hat eclosed mindedness because it is very blind.Its like running around with a blind fold on.You never know who you might bump into and you might hurt your self or them.

I think it's too unlikely what we see today was the result of random events.  I doubt that God took out his magic wand and went "Poof! Plantets! Poof! Animal!" etc.-that also seems unlikely to me.  I think that the 7-day creation story was intended more as a metaphor-I mean, if you had explained all this scientific theory to people thousands of years ago, or even hundreds, they would have written you off as a quack. :lol: 

But, like Armieman said, I personally think that, although it may have happened and probably did happen close to the way scientists describe it, that God was giving it "nudges" in the right direction. In other words, he set up the rules, set it in motion, and then guided it along.  If He did make people and the universe to please himself, I think He would take just as much pleasure, if not more, in watching it grow from nothingness with His guidance as watching it *poof* out of nothingness. That's just the way I've reasoned it out so far.

213319[/snapback]

I haven't been following the discussion for awhile, obviously (sorry to butt in), and I usually try to avoid making "Me too!" posts, but.. very well written! I totally agree. ^_^

I'm Armiemen? o.0

Just to say something, I love how people will tell you sometimes how closed-minded you are and how wrong you are, and how they hate closed-mindedness - and they are so closed-minded themselves.

Closed-mindedness goes both ways in an argument.

christianity here, but I dont believe in religon anymore :devlish:

I have more inmportant things in life then some worshiping of some "ET" above us.