Eternal Lands Official Forums
KillerQween

Divorce Court

Due to a request recently, and the thought it may actually be needed, I will be setting up divorce court for EL. Both parties of the marraige must be present, and both must bring 1 witness along. Proceedings will take place in WSC meeting hall. Court will be open by request only. (pm me in game or on forums).

First session:

Thursday August 18th, 6pm PST.

Edited by KillerQween

With the current amount of Rings of Disengagement flooding the market I figure we'll be getting quite a bunch of divorces in the weeks to come... :glare: :brooding:

I'm inclined to agree with Aderan. There really is NO comittment in EL for marriage. Spiritually i could see there being something with the gods mixed in. But it's not like there are tax concerns, property sharing or anything of the like. Certainly no children. Judicial divorce is a humbling thing to go through...i don't think something of this caliber is no neccessary in EL. Perhaps something in the clerical region is more appropriate.

Since i'm confronted with something pertaining to this issue, i thought i'd add my two cents.

Here's the thing.. people DO get married in game..

So when they no longer are friends, or don't want to be married anymore..

What is your suggestion?

Are you supporting poligamy in game?

Because there will either end up being divorces, or plural spouses..

Something to think about

Here's the thing.. people DO get married in game..

So when they no longer are friends, or don't want to be married anymore..

What is your suggestion?

Something to think about

188983[/snapback]

you don't need a whole legal court or a ceremony or something to get divorced in a game. your not making any actual commitment. if you don't want to be EL married anymore, just don't be. :mellow:

but, LV is right i guess. it's roleplaying, so I'll just leave it alone.

Edited by Alderan

If I could be like that, I would give anything

Just to live one day, in those shoes.

If I could be like that, what would I do?

What would I do?

What would I do?

What would I do?

They rock....

This is by far the STUPIDEST thing i've ever heard, and i've heard some stupid things let me tell you...This Game becomes more and more pathetic with everypassing day.

Quint and Alderan, its roleplaying, let them be :)

188986[/snapback]

I was thinking the same :-\

Let them have their fun :-)

Everyone has their own ideas of fun.  For some, roleplaying marriage and divorce is entertaining, and that's the point of a game. :unsure:

189939[/snapback]

What she said.. :smartass:

people need to stop worrying about how others are playing the game and just play it the way they wish to. The game's meant for fun, no need to critisize others on how they play it. Personally I won't be seen in a divorce court for EL, but I can see where they're coming from, EL isn't just a game for many, it's also a community. :)

If people "role play" as being husband and wife, they should be able to go through the full process and get "divorced as well. It really doesn't bother me, I think it's fun going to all the weddings, might as well get to watch "Divorce Court" in person :)

188983[/snapback]

I support the idea of poligamy and plural spouses!!

But unlike irl I want the women to be able to have multiple spouses :)

And there is method to my madness cuz....

The ratio to women vs men in this game is like 1/10 so I figure if each of us women got 10 hubbys all the guys in game guys would be too busy to PK and we would be a bunch of peace lovin hippies!

Then again we would drain the funds right out of all of them :P

JaneMuffin

Oh!! And if this gets implemented I have dibs on DonP!! :D

This is by far the STUPIDEST thing i've ever heard, and i've heard some stupid things let me tell you...This Game becomes more and more pathetic with everypassing day.

189925[/snapback]

And, of course, you must be the most clever person ever coming on this place. Tell me again, if you're so clever and if we're so stupid, why do you bother coming here at all ?

Now to the topic of "polygamy".

Ipso facto, "polygamy" means "many unions", it is not gender-oriented and means that a woman has several husbands as well as a man has several wives. It exists in both directions on several places on Earth, but most people will associate the concept of polygamy to the "harem" concept, thus saying that polygamy only concerns men with several wives.

Let me tell you that a harem has nothing to do with polygamy, it is more of a marketing process than a real commitment from the "man". The guy who has a laaaaarge harem is just a guy with higher social status or bigger purse (in the economic acception of the term "purse"), not a male with unnatural mojo.

as far as poligamy and such, I think this is something to encourage for the roleplay (not encourage to make it more popular, just enough to overcome the modern day preconceptions, and make it a more realistic set of choices)

as far as marriage, I would suggest that people google handfastings. I'll give a short version of my knowledge though

back in the old days (millenia ago, for the 'civilised' world) there were handfastings for joining people. Not always in the husband and wife sence, but also as a close freindship sort of thing (and same-sex 'marriage' types, though less common, weren't unknown)

the name came from one of the parts of the ceremony, where the hands of the two people were bound together

there were typically three lengths of handfasting; a year and a day (probably serving similar purpose as engagement today), life (marriage), and eternity (possibily similar to renewal of vows today)

there was often a preistess or preist (preistess was more common, women being seen as more spiritual) present and organising things, but the couple were in charge themselves, coming with their own vows, special additions to the ceremony, etc

while EL is technologically middle ages, the religion is pagan. so this sort of setup would still be valid

and on divorce, in whatever format... again, an important part of the roleplay

iffn you want more info, google or ask me ^_^

I think Nyxl wants a harem :blush:

190462[/snapback]

I most certainly do not, by the Goddess ! Thinking that of me is not the kindest praise I ever heard...

I just want as many friend-ladies as I can make. Now if one of those wishes more of me, it is a matter to be discussed with both parties, isn't it ? Lest we end in your juridiction, LadyWolf. Which I don't want.

And, of course, you must be the most clever person ever coming on this place. Tell me again, if you're so clever and if we're so stupid, why do you bother coming here at all ?

I can answer that!! Prolly cuz 1) He/She has no idea about RolePlaying (and we should teach him/her). 2) The only reason they play EL is to lvl up fast and finally be able to used the phrase "I pwn j00" (or whatever teh spelling is). Or! 3) Is only 12 and still thinks that girls/guys have cooties!

Let me tell you that a harem has nothing to do with polygamy, it is more of a marketing process than a real commitment from the "man". The guy who has a laaaaarge harem is just a guy with higher social status or bigger purse (in the economic acception of the term "purse"), not a male with unnatural mojo.

Well my EL Husband has teh Money and teh Mojo! I am sooooo blessed :blush:

handfastings

I have acctually watched one of those live! It was awesome :P

Anyways I think it would be great for roleplaying and also maybe we can ask roja or ent to implement books that would make someone an officail "Preist/Preistess" and only those people would be able to make the rope that is used for handfasting or something to that extent :)

Or!! OMG!! what if the only way you can get married is if you are not Godless and have acctually done a god quest, and thets the only god who can marry the two people, BUT (like in catholocism) both people have to have the same god!!

That would be way cool! And then only that god could unhandfast you!! (See I brought it back to topic eventually!)

I am brillaint in the mornings if I do say so myself! :omg:

Okay back to EL with me!

JaneMuffin