Eternal Lands Official Forums
trollson

New Continent, Seperate Storage?

Should storage be per continent?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should storage be per continent?

• Yes! Continental Storage
    • No! Worldwide Storage

And still nobody has told me what this wonderful "challenge" is that I should be embracing...other than to not die of boredom and frustration.

189091[/snapback]

planning.

if you go with the shipment delay option, then plan ahead and export stuff a while before you wanna use it. having to wait an hour or a day isn't much of a penalty if you plan ahead, really, but is more realistic

the chance to lose items en route is not realistic, really, because the storages are more like banks, in that they have records of how much you have, and you can access from any branch. intercontinentally, they do need to let the other group know about this, which takes a while

paying for items based on value is hard, because there's no set cost on many items... doin it by weight could work, if you assume that the actual goods need to be moved, and not just records (think: transferring cash from an account in one bank to an account in another bank)

and paying/losing a percentage doesn't work... what if you have a 1% loss, transfer a maic sword, and it rounds up? or if it rounds down and you have 1% loss, you transfer items in lots of like 50 so as not to lose any. either way, it'd not work right

That's one solution, yes. However, currently the only solution is to take money out of the economy.

This thread isn't for this discussion anyway.

189045[/snapback]

Re to Placid: granted that the angle I was going at was out of the scope of discussion, but still, I don't think this (or any) idea needs to be a money sink. I would venture as far as to say that the money sinks we already have just aren't working.

Re to thread: For any GAME, particularly an RPG, a certain amount of realism has to be discarded for playability and enjoyment, but some has to remain. This doesn't seem to add anything to playability, and detracts more than is generally acceptable, IMO.

Sure, it wouldn't make sense to go from Seridia to Irilion and have all your potions and essence and stuff in storage back on Seridia at your disposal, but it makes as much sense as being able to deposit items in Portland, and retrieve them in Tarsengaard. Unless we want to separate all the storages from each other, separating the continents' storage system doesn't seem to make much sense.

Edited by Arnieman

Re to Placid: granted that the angle I was going at was out of the scope of discussion, but still, I don't think this (or any) idea needs to be a money sink.  I would venture as far as to say that the money sinks we already have just aren't working.

189239[/snapback]

You misunderstood. I was talking about the comment YOU made, not about the idea of continental storage.

You misunderstood. I was talking about the comment YOU made, not about the idea of continental storage.

189273[/snapback]

Actually, my comment was in response to needing yet another money sink, and using this idea as it.

I can almost 100% assure you, if this idea is implemented as a money sink, it will not be long before you will need another, and another, and another...

Again, the only reason my comment was made was in response to all the money sink talk.

Actually, my comment was in response to needing yet another money sink, and using this idea as it.

I can almost 100% assure you, if this idea is implemented as a money sink, it will not be long before you will need another, and another, and another...

Again, the only reason my comment was made was in response to all the money sink talk.

189283[/snapback]

Last comment on this: This idea is NOT about a money sink! Its about giving a bit of difference and 'depth' within the game.

My comment, was NOT about a money sink.

Ok look at it this way.

How many times do you all travel from map to map now? Do you imagine you won't travel from continent to continent the same way? Or are you all planning on just sitting on one continent for a month? Each time you travel you have to move your stuff if you want to use it! I don't know about you all, but I go around to a lot of maps in the course of one online session. I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to transfer my stuff each time I did!!

I don't know in advance what I will want or need to do in any given day. I certainly won't know what I will want to do the next day, or even what I would have time to do. Planning ahead in an online game just isn't a logical thing to expect of people who might actually have some form of a real life.

Planning ahead in an online game just isn't a logical thing to expect of people who might actually have some form of a real life.

189402[/snapback]

Now you're just throwing flames at people. People want separate continent storage to add diversity to the game. Poll votes show it's an almost even split decision so watch just exactly who you're calling lifeless.

Now you're just throwing flames at people.  People want separate continent storage to add diversity to the game.  Poll votes show it's an almost even split decision so watch just exactly who you're calling lifeless.

189462[/snapback]

Not flame throwing at all. There have been countless ways suggested to add diversity and depth and whatever other words one wants to call it to the game without something like this. (And people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.)

And I would like to remind you about the voting for changing the mother nature events...everybody thought that was a wonderful idea because they had no clue what it really involved and meant. And wonder of wonders, everybody complains still to this day about it...

I think this is one case where it would be a bad idea to replace fun with realism. Realism adds fun to a certain extent, I know. But past there it bogs the game down.

Why can't the storages have magical transports to take goods from one storage to the next? It is a fantisy world, is it not?

:rolleyes: Dunian :battleaxe:

Everyone complains about something Aislinn. People complain about the 120 harvest limit per hour, people complain about the super slow essence speed (I sure do), and people will complain about this too. Then again, some will also take enjoyment in it as well. Just give it a trial run and see how it works. :rolleyes:

Everyone complains about something Aislinn.  People complain about the 120 harvest limit per hour, people complain about the super slow essence speed (I sure do), and people will complain about this too.  Then again, some will also take enjoyment in it as well.  Just give it a trial run and see how it works.  :rolleyes:

189556[/snapback]

If this suggestion actually was necessary, or even if there was a balancing positive to go along with it, you might have a point. But there is no purpose to this other than to "add depth". It is adding high level annoyance for absolutely NO reason.

If this suggestion actually was necessary, or even if there was a balancing positive to go along with it, you might have a point.  But there is no purpose to this other than to "add depth".  It is adding high level annoyance for absolutely NO reason.

189563[/snapback]

Well, harvesting events were put in to mainly stop macroers. This is put in to hopefully drain some money from the game. Compared to the h. events, it has a purpose. Just put this in and test it out and modify or even scrap it altogether.

No no no for separate storages!

It's fantasy game so just play like your items just moving magically from one to each others....

Why ppl in many threads about changes want MORE REALISM in FANTASY RPG ?!

If you want realism remove all spells, magic items, all fantasy creatures, and stay with animals doing nothing... or go outside play irl.

I voted no! It seems that everytime we vote yes for these things and submit suggestions we get the original version, and no suggestions are implemented till weeks later.

I think that seperate system could work out if they were willing to implement a cost/time basis. If you have 10k to tit to transfer to new continent if I want it same day I pay a large amount.... If I'm not concerned and willing to wait a week or two, that shipping cost are really low.... more towards the poor mans range.

I also think that a if it shared storage could be implemented for resources that are available on both continents would be ok also.

But as it stand now NO! Tankel has a 60% chance to repair items.... well let me tell you he could repair the next 4-5 items before I would be back in that 60% range..... and yea I know all about percetages.... it all works out in real life. but that does not seem to be the case with this game, breaking 3 pickaxes within 15 minutes then not breaking another for 8 hours is not averaged.

If a cost was added for insured shipping then without paying it you would be screwed... and if it was insured, what that would mean you get the items no matter what?

This game is fun, I spend alot of time playing. I understand that it is underdevelopment, but hope they will wait to implement this. If not you will have 2 continents one that eveyone plays on and one the the Upper society can afford to play on. If you want ppl to spread out and play thourgh out the lands, then make them more exciting. Chances are you will have about same amount of ppl that are playing the game, but they will just be spread out more.

Also what about chats, if we want to make the game more realistic, you going to have continents chats seperate? If you want something that is realistic, quit playing this game and go back to real life, it's a blast, I myself play this game to have fun, and get awar from the tedious every day life

Well thats my dollars worth

If you want realism remove all spells, magic items, all fantasy creatures, and stay with animals doing nothing... or go outside play irl.

189700[/snapback]

Sorry to say, but I think you're wrong. What people want is realistic (or at least semi-realistic) HIGH-fantasy.

Not going to discuss this much further here - see reason below...

I, for one, is saddend to see, that every time some one comes with an idea for some changes that might, or might not, increase game-play, the idea gets shot down with claims that it is going to "make the game to real/take fun out out of the game/make it to time-consuming" etc.

No offence, but come on! find some new arguments, will you?

And appart from that, I hope that if anyone feel like discussing this further, they will make a new thread for it, as this one is beginning to be thrown off-topic due to this discussion.

This game is fun, I spend alot of time playing.  I understand that it is underdevelopment, but hope they will wait to implement this.  If not you will have 2 continents one that eveyone plays on and one the the Upper society can afford to play on.  If you want ppl to spread out and play thourgh out the lands, then make them more exciting.  Chances are you will have about same amount of ppl that are playing the game, but they will just be spread out more.

189709[/snapback]

As to this argument - again, I'd say it's off the topic - I can't see where anyone have said that it should be expensive as heck to go to the new continent in the current discusion.

The suggestion goes on how the storage-system should work with the implementation of a new continent. Nowhere does it say anything (not in the original idea at least) about players having to pay to move from one continent to the other.

The only thing suggested to require payment are transporting stuff from storage on one continent to the other, and I'd like to use this chance to promote my own idea earlier in the thread ;) as I think that a tax-and-insurance system would give to much of a feeling that "oh! I have to have a lot of money to pay taxes and insurances and all before I can go to that new continent if I still want to have all of my good stuff over there too..." whereas just paying a fixed amount to access your storage and load up as much as you can carry (if you feel like doing that) ought to work better. This fixed price should, of course be reasonable, and something that everyone can afford, somewhere around 50-200 gc or so.

But like I suggested above - if people feel like discussing pros and cons of a new continent, can't you please take it to a new thread?

Whether the new continent would be some sortof "elite-player hang-out" or not is, imo, not constructive critisism for this thread.

Also what about chats, if we want to make the game more realistic, you going to have continents chats seperate?  If you want something that is realistic, quit playing this game and go back to real life, it's a blast, I myself play this game to have fun, and get awar from the tedious every day life

again - see my remark on this above...

Edited by salun

Sorry to say, but I think you're wrong. What people want is realistic (or at least semi-realistic) HIGH-fantasy.

Correction. What SOME people want. Be careful when you want to speak for others.

If this suggestion actually was necessary, or even if there was a balancing positive to go along with it, you might have a point.  But there is no purpose to this other than to "add depth".  It is adding high level annoyance for absolutely NO reason.

189563[/snapback]

I agree. I can't see anything that will add to the fun of the game in this. To me it sounds like an annoyance that will add confusion and boredom.

(not to mention the ???s from newcomers to the game)

I, for one, is saddend to see, that every time some one comes with an idea for some changes that might, or might not, increase game-play, the idea gets shot down with claims that it is going to "make the game to real/take fun out out of the game/make it to time-consuming" etc.

No offence, but come on! find some new arguments, will you?

And appart from that, I hope that if anyone feel like discussing this further, they will make a new thread for it, as this one is beginning to be thrown off-topic due to this discussion.

As to this argument - again, I'd say it's off the topic - I can't see where anyone have said that it should be expensive as heck to go to the new continent in the current discusion.

But like I suggested above - if people feel like discussing pros and cons of a new continent, can't you please take it to a new thread?

Whether the new continent would be some sortof "elite-player hang-out" or not is, imo, not constructive critisism for this thread.

again - see my remark on this above...

189892[/snapback]

I disagree with you on all of these points.

1- No, everyone does NOT necessarily want realism...wherever did you get that notion?

2- People here are objecting because this new idea has no purpose. Like was already mentioned, if this idea made the game better in some way, the negatives might be worth it. I guess you didn't read through the thread to see the reasons offered.

Nor do these people get off on shooting down ideas. If you look through the forums, you will see these same people who object to this offering suggest many other ideas or support other ideas.

3-I don't see that this is off-topic at all. People like or dislike it, and offer their reasons and possibly alternative suggestions. This is what the poll/topic is here for.

Correction. What SOME people want. Be careful when you want to speak for others.

189901[/snapback]

Right - sorry about that - my bad :P :shame:

and Aislinn -I did read it all, and what I see as off-topic is the whole discussion of the good stuff/bad stuff concerning a new continent as a whole - this thread is about storages in this new continent, not the continent as a whole...

Edited by salun

Right - sorry about that - my bad  :unsure:  :shame:

and Aislinn -I did read it all, and what I see as off-topic is the whole discussion of the good stuff/bad stuff concerning a new continent as a whole - this thread is about storages in this new continent, not the continent as a whole...

189998[/snapback]

No, its about storages between continents, there for continents are included inherently. The whole point of a discussion is to discuss the pros/cons of an idea, and in this case its quite important. If the wrong decision is made or something wasn't identified as a bad thing when using intercontinental storage, it could potentially be disasterous.

... If the wrong decision is made or something wasn't identified as a bad thing when using intercontinental storage, it could potentially be disasterous.

I agree. And since there is no point in separating the storages, we should definitely stay away from it.

I agree. And since there is no point in separating the storages, we should definitely stay away from it.

While this thread does not discuss a definitive purpose in seperating the storage, other than the esthetics of presenting the continents as seperate distinct places, the decision does have consequences in what developments can be made in the future. If storage had to be seperated at a later point, it would obviously be a painful process.

My main worry with universal storage is that bypasses and undermines any notion of distance which could be a part of future trade or economic models. While this is also true for intracontinent storage, the effects would be less sever and it would not be desirable to change the existing setup.

Adding dynamic background trade and economies would give a more 'living' feel to the world, as things change in response to events, with effects percolating out. Positions of authority could be added in Towns and Cities, to which characters could aspire, and which bring the opportunity to directly influence local economy, grow the town, direct the peasants, raise armies and entertain the neighbours...

I have an image of arriving at PortLand to find it besiged by an army raised by the new tyrant of White Stone City, lots of NPC soldiers with shields bearing the WSC coat of arms...

Adding dynamic background trade and economies would give a more 'living' feel to the world, as things change in response to events, with effects percolating out.  Positions of authority could be added in Towns and Cities, to which characters could aspire, and which bring the opportunity to directly influence local economy, grow the town, direct the peasants, raise armies and entertain the neighbours...

190222[/snapback]

This is why I have liked this idea from the start. It potentially gives a living feel to the world that is Eternal Lands.

However, the 'economic model' you are talking about could be way in the future; thus begs the question: Is this the right time to implement such a feature?

My point is that is there a need for this until the continent economy is established (and developed)? Would this just be a hassle if implemented now? Yes it would. If this economic model is not available now, then I feel we may be jumping to far with this.

My opinion on this matter has changed from pro to anti. Its a great idea; but as the game stands, it does not fulfill the 'living' or depth arguments because they themselves require more work.

My opinion on this matter has changed from pro to anti. Its a great idea; but as the game stands, it does not fulfill the 'living' or depth arguments because they themselves require more work.

After reading further I will once again change back to the against side. This is a wonderful idea, and it was fun to develop. But I do not think it would go over well.

Like Aislinn said, I jump from map to map all the time, same storage. but I jump onto another continent and I have nothing in storage? That does not make any sence. The Exporting of goods is not really the best idea to implement at this point. But it was fun to develop and come up with.

Just so everyone knows, I cant pick a side. I went from Against (original vote) to For it, now against again :)