Eternal Lands Official Forums
trollson

New Continent, Seperate Storage?

Should storage be per continent?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should storage be per continent?

• Yes! Continental Storage
    • No! Worldwide Storage

Should the new continent come with a seperate storage?

Soon you will go to explore new lands :) , encounter new creatures and new NPCs :blink: , to bravely go where no character has gone before...

...and still pop into the local store and pick up that special item you depositied back in Desert Pines?

:) Doesn't this seem just a bit too convenient?

The new continent should come with a new storage. Goods you deposite in Seridia should not be present in the Irrilion storage. You should start afresh there, with your wits, skills, and what you can carry. Sure, you can carry stuff from Seridia to Irrilion, but I would hope that the journey is not as simple as hopping on the local boat from Lakeside to Portland! :bow_arrow:

Some of you may dislike this because it is inconvenient :shame: Exploring and exploiting new lands should not be easy, and this would give some characters a chance to act as proper traders, transporting items and commodities found only on one continent.

Addendum:

For those with a dislike of manual labour, there could be an export option added to the storage interface, to transfer goods between continents. Such an option would incur a shipping charge (prices by weight), and/or a 1 game day delay to represent transport.

Edited by trollson

I love this idea. In some ways, it would also be convienent, becuase they would be provided with more slots. So, for example if someone spends less time in the new one, they could keep all their slot taking up rare books there, etc.

I don't like that idea at all, and it's much too early to even think about that IMHO.

We have to explore everything first and start to make stuff, then we'll see if it is possible at all.

Most likely certain resources will be endemic (only available on one continent), how would you ever get that stuff transported to the other continent? and how many players can afford to have everything they regularily need multiple times? which will also nullify the effect of having more slots, btw.

Especially the making professions would suffer from this, but also fighters and summoners would have a very hard time to fill up 2 separated storages with everything they need.

Sorry, but i REALLY don't like that!

:)

Shipping tax sounds good. The newer harvestable items can't even be harvested at this time, and it doesn't take a genius to modify the cont1 maps and add the newer harvestables when they are.

In Other-Life, each storage will be seperate, and delivery from one storage to another will be available for a fee (insured & unisured deliveries). So, magical transportation from one city to another wont happen there.

Should be Universal...... But there could always be a Shipping Tax.

Problem with that is when does the tax get applied? With universal storage there is no concept of shipping.

O-L is supposed to be challenging and difficult.  EL is supposed to be enjoyable.

Challenges are enjoyable.

Edited by trollson

So you don't find challenges enjoyable?  ^_^

188120[/snapback]

I dont find moving 10k quartz from 1 to the other, When each trip takes 2 hours enjoyable =)

And how about... New continent = New server ?

Transfering characters will be expensive of course (or you could start a new character there or pay for transfer in $$).

I'd be more realistic I think.

And how about... New continent = New server ?

Transfering characters will be expensive of course (or you could start a new character there or pay for transfer in $$).

I'd be more realistic I think.

188127[/snapback]

no thanks. having it all on the same server sounds better to me.

oh, and your avatar is disturbing, can you change it?

sorry but i don't like this idea

no thanks. having it all on the same server sounds better to me.

So it's with storages. Going from storage to storage because one of them's closer to resources is... 'abnormal'

oh, and your avatar is disturbing, can you change it?

Normally I wait till at least 3 people complain but I'll make an exeption. Next time just PM me.

O-L is supposed to be challenging and difficult.  EL is supposed to be enjoyable.

Challenges are enjoyable.

188120[/snapback]

Yes, challenges are enjoyable. This isn't a challenge, this is tedius.

Yes, challenges are enjoyable.  This isn't a challenge, this is tedius.

188164[/snapback]

This thread or EL ? Genuinely can't figure out which you're referring to :pinch:

Edited by gadai

This thread or EL ? Genuinely can't figure out which you're referring to  :pinch:

188167[/snapback]

Neither.

Yes, challenges are enjoyable.  This isn't a challenge, this is tedius.

Why is it tedius?

Do you think that people would transport 10K of Quartz between the two continents, when a (assumedly) common mineral would be present in the new locale to be mined?

Finished goods would be transported, but not in these quantities. Raw materials only available on one continent would be transported to another, if they could be combined to produce new and exotic items. Surely this would increase the worth of those items? If somebody could just mine 10K of Irridium, pop back to Seridia and pull it from the storage, where is the uniqueness or exotic then?

Without some seperation between the continents, are we just adding some more maps to play on, or will this be something more?

There could always be an "export" function in the storage interface if this is an issue, shipping for a cost per unit weight?

Edited by trollson

Why is it tedius?

188172[/snapback]

Why is it tedius? Let me count the ways...

--Not everyone has countless hours to spend on EL. Nobody wants to take hours, including multiple difficulties, to get from continent A to continent B to explore.

--Not everyone has huge carryloads to get even a minimal amount of whatever this rare stuff is from continent B back to A. And again, getting held up by miscellaneous disasters along the long way. I can think of better things to do with MY time than spend hour after hour trying to transport a minimal amount of anything to the new continent.

--Not everyone can afford to have double of everything, so that they can have their necessities on each continent, or the time to get them there. Or the ability to make them on continent B anymore since all of their stuff is on Continent A.

--People won't be bothered to go to Continent B if they have no stuff, no protection, no way to heal themselves or make the ingredients to do so...

This will separate the continents into the haves and have nots, haves (who have high levels, high gc, and hours and hours of time) will populate the new continent, and the rest will be just too frustrated and discouraged to go.

Phaet is right, might as well just put it on a different server. It's like starting over. Who wants to do that???

Oh, and to answer the question, NO I absolutely do not find hauling stuff enjoyable, or a challenge. Just mindless and time consuming.

I do think it ruins all the concept of storage if it's goanna be seperated.

People do not have time to travel all their stuff to another continent.

i'm still not certain about this one, but i think i'd go with them being all linked. the ones on seridia all know what happened with each other, the ones on irilion may as well be linked too

however, the idea about having the common basics (flowers, ores, etc that are on both continents) continent-only and the less common stuff being global is interesting... but i suspect that the coding required outweighs any benefits

if they are to be split, then I'd like the transfer idea (but instead of a tax, how about shipping delay? it takes an ingame day or three. much easier than calculating the tax on a sword, for example)

Edited by ttlanhil

however, the idea about having the common basics (flowers, ores, etc that are on both continents) continent-only and the less common stuff being global is interesting... but i suspect that the coding required outweighs any benefits

if they are to be split, then I'd like the transfer idea (but instead of a tax, how about shipping delay? it takes an ingame day or three. much easier than calculating the tax on a sword, for example)

188196[/snapback]

There wouldnt be any coding involved, other than the maps. Resources in Seridian maps not present on Iridia, and visa versa.

Calculating a shipping cost, rather than an import duty, would be easy to implement, since the weight of the goods being shipped should be easily determined. A one day delay would be interesting as well.

Having at shipping tax per weight would be a good idea. Make the game more akin to RL. You can't just pop from europe to america and expect your house to follow you. So the delay also makes a lot of sense. Does mean that it will cost people gold to do it, and so yeah it will be the higher lvl people that go. But surely if you are a really low level, you either wont want to, or it will make no diffrence as you have a small amount of stuff anyway.

Maybe some players don't want EL to have the same problems as RL tho?

I mean i would love to turn the left over bones from the BBQ into gold in RL, but that doesn't work either...and when have you killed your last ogre/goblin/whatever in RL?

Smeg RL, i have that already, no need to implement it here also!

:P