Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest Enyo

spawn ownership

Guest Enyo

Hey everyone..

I've always been 100% in favour of this unwritten yet widely practiced players rule of respecting the other player while he is training by not just taking over his/her spawn. It's just plain courtesy.

Since i've been training on fluffies, i've encountered some players who monopolize a spawn from anywhere to 4 to 9 hours without even leaving to restock because many have guildies or friends to supply them or they make their srs while training.

there is only 5 fluffy spawns to accomodate all players who are currently training on fluffies. i think it's selfish for one player to have such a stronghold on a spawn and then expect this unwritten players rule to be enforced or respected.

now i finally understand why roja, the mods and some few others said that they didn't believe in spawn ownership.

i was so angry at dragonsyoung the other day because he just wouldn't leave for unknown hours upon hours that i finally decided to start attacking the fluffy also..

that resulted in his abusive language towards me.. anyway.. that's not really the good solution and i actually felt guilty about it after because i know players who serp spawns and i think it shows a lack of class.. and it's not my style.

what do you all think about limitations on spawn "ownership", "courtesy" or "spawn respect" (not to be legally enforced by mods..merely a thought concept for players in their own virtual set of rules) (i am using this word figuratively not literally so plz no one say to me no such thing as spawn ownership because i and everyone else on el know this :omg: ) and this unwritten rule between players? at least leave for a restock.. go to the toilet.. eat .. sleep.. do something for smeg sake.. <_< and give someone else a chance to the smeging spawn because there is more than just you and i'm personally sick of people like dragonsyoung and anyone else who feels the need to dominate a spawn for an unknown length of time..

flame away because i could care less and anyway i have pms so bring it on.. -_-

edit: my thread has nothing to do with getting mods involved in spawn disputes but to provoke thought amoungst players concerning what we all know as "spawn respect" "courtesy" or "ownership".. i'm creating a new catch phrase to use in lieu of "ownership" so from now on i will say "spawn respect" just to avoid confusion and conflicts over the usage and implications of one simple word which has many definitions..when it's mostly used figuratively and not literal.

Edited by Enyo

Problem: not enough Fluffys to train on, for all the players that need to train on fluffies.

Solution: no singular spawn ownership of Fluffy spawns until more come. People need to learn to share spawns.

1.) Make people resupply themselves. People should not be able to ask friends/guildies to resupply them; it just breeds "spawn-hogging".

2.) 1 person may no longer claim a spawn by themself, but up to 3 people can share a spawn. This would mean that a spawn would essentially be open to 3 people to train. This would also have to mean that they are 3 people ACTIVELY training, not a trainer gives MM cloaks to 2 newbies and has them sit near the spawn while he trains.

Again, these are all player rules, I guess the best solution is if everyone learned to share, or get more spawns... or maybe have a mod or 2 constantly calling invasions of fluffies in a high level map?

i think if you want to kill fluffies that bad you should forget being "nice" and just attack them. if they won't share the spawn then just start killing them. esspecially if they are goings for hours :doze:

I know that there isn't enough spawns to be there for everyone, but it's times like that you go do something else fighting isn't the only skill.. try to speak to them and ask if you can try one then share them instead of going in serping it and expect them to be nice to you!

well i know im not strong enough for fluffies, but i have been training on trolls and what not and had others come in and ask could we share, and i whole heartedly say yes. i kill one and step back and let them have one. that is how it should work, yes trianing might go a little slower that way, but the respect factor goes up because you are not a spawn hog. that's just imo, take it as you will.

This would (may?) be solved if and when spawns areas are increase to areas larger than a single player can see at any time.

Nobody owns a spawn, everybody has the right to jump in as they see fit. Yes, that is the official position. No arguments. And that is the default rule we must go to when people can't get along and work out a solution amongst themselves.

However, until recently, the majority of experienced fighters have followed the general rule of thumb that if somebody else is already there, you either wait, or go away to come back later. If you're lucky, the person already there will offer to pm you when s/he is done.

Now there are some additions to this "rule":

--If you die, you lose claim. You might get lucky and get back to it before somebody else find's that it is empty. But in no way do you go back and tell somebody who DID find it open that "i was here, I died, get lost, it's my spawn".

--You do NOT have somebody else sitting there to restock you or have friends/guildies come by to restock you. Huge no-no. When you run out of supplies and need to go restock, again you lose claim. If you come back from storage and it's empty, lucky you. If somebody got there, oh well, it's their's now.

When the above "rules of thumb" are followed, you will find that most people will respect that and will give you the same courtesy that you give to others. There used to be very few spawn sharing issues when this behavior was the norm.

no one owns spawns and there is no chance of it becomeing a rule.

yes we would prefer if everyone would be polite and share spawns but it is not our job to enforce this type of thing.

if it was going to become a rule it would mean more work for us modertors to do. it is not our job to settle petty disputes and we cannot watch the whole map.

How do you think we would enforce such a rule? do you want a moderator to rush to you when someone will not play nice?? how do we determine who owns the spawn? are we suppost to sit neer the spawns and watch everyone that comes close to see who has taken over the spawn?

what kinds of punishment do you expect us to use, do you want us to boot people from the game because they attacked a creature before you did? do you think something like that would be fair?

just try and be polite and respect eachother, don't abuse other people and everyone should get along with eachother. if you show respect to them they will show respect to you. Most people do not just go and abuse people for no reson perhaps you said or did something to provoke them?

omg... i just found in another thread that ppl believe they *own* a spawn.

So, please everybody remember:

YOU DONT OWN A SPAWN!

Speak it out loud 100 times, tattoo it on your forehead, write it down and put it under your pillow, but stop talking/complaining about such a crap!

Piper

omg... i just found in another thread that ppl believe they *own* a spawn.

So, please everybody remember:

YOU DONT OWN A SPAWN!

Speak it out loud 100 times, tattoo it on your forehead, write it down and put it under your pillow, but stop talking/complaining about such a crap!

Piper

186682[/snapback]

how much to rent one for a half hour? ^_^

seriously, though, the community is the great thing about EL, so if you have a problem, please try to resolve it nicely. those people who start getting verbally abusive and all rarely make a good impression or convince the other of their viewpoint

I'm a total hypocrite for this.

I don't think it's right for people to stay at one spawn for a day and a half and yell at people who start attacking, but it really pisses me off when some random person who should be fighting wolves runs up and starts hitting the gargoyle with a serp, when I'm trying to train.

However, there are tons of gargoyle spawns, and he or she could just as well serp a different one that isn't being attacked. Not all the fluffy spawns are taken 24/7. I see fluffies running around in Tahraji and Grubani while I'm Joker hunting, and they're not being attacked.

If someone is farming a spawn, just go to a different one. It'll save you stress.

Guest Enyo
train in tahraji

186619[/snapback]

actually, i do and so do others but that's not really the point of this thread..thanks for your brilliant input anyway. :)

edit: i would like to mention that a few days ago when i was training on fluffies a player came along and grunts "my" (meaning he wanted the spawn that i just arrived at, :P love that neanderthal language) and then attacks me as soon as i arrived, lol.. the joys of training at TD. :P

Edited by Enyo

Guest Enyo
Hopefully this issue will be resolved with totally random spawns.

186770[/snapback]

from what i understand.. there won't be "totally" random spawns .. yes , there will be random spawns in addition to what we have from what i hear but that's just grape vine talk.. :P

With pool billiards, there's this rule (of thumb) to have 3 coins max laying on the border of the table for the next games you want to play. As long as nobody else is interested in playing too, you can just add to your row of 3 coins each time you start a new game. Until someone else adds his coins, so you can play only 3 games more after your current one and then leave the table. Just plain courtesy.

This could work exactly the same way here. That is, as soon as another player wants to have "your" spawn, drop a coin. When the bag poofs (was it after 10 minutes? or 8?), drop another coin, and after that one's gone a third. Poof? time over! and be polite and let the other one play his game of billiards. Of course you can then wait there for three poofs and have the right to claim the spawn again...

Ahwell, actually dropping the coins has its disadvantages.. passers-by taking the coin, fellow guildies bag spamming on the same map but out of sight to make it go faster... let's just say half an hour :P

i reckon the whole random thing wud be weird, i bet it's more like, pooling all spawns used on each map, and making them available for every last creature/monster on it ^_^

i think if you want to kill fluffies that bad you should forget being "nice" and just attack them. if they won't share the spawn then just start killing them. esspecially if they are goings for hours  ;)

186622[/snapback]

quick and easy solutions....works well....and on those days you just wanna piss people off it is a wonderful way to do it

If it helps, you'll get more spawns with 1.0.2 :)

186658[/snapback]

....speaking of which......WHEN IS IT COMING OUT??????

Well as everyone has said(and I strongly agree) No one owns a spawn, people can always attack a spawn no matter how many people are there. When I played Conquer I was amazed at the size and speed of the spawns. about 10 or 15 monsters would spawn, you'd kill them all, then in about 15 seconds they'd come back. along with the size of the maps there was probably 3 spawns for every person. if we increased the number of spawns in a given area along with a quicker(even just 10 or 20 seconds) spawn, there would be plenty to go around.

Me too i want to know, but i'm guessing when ever Ent and RoJa come back  :confused:

187193[/snapback]

the thread where ent said they were going on vacation had an ETA of the 25th. with appropriate warning that it's only an estimate