Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Tuxedo/Astrocreep banned

Apparently, he was trying to use that exploit posted by out 1337 hax0r friend. It was most likely him that caused the exp table to be corrupted, and people to have problems with their levels (until it was fixed) today.

Any similar attempts will be dealt with a ban.

I was wondering what happened to tuxedo. Hey if there is any uncertainty, I am pretty sure astro wasn't even online when the exploit was posted on our forum: I seriously doubt that he used it (but I suppose you would know better than me if he was using it).

That exploit was posted on multiple forums.

Anyway, I am curious to hear what he has to say about it. And this wasn't an isolated incident, my logs are full of this crap, which went on the whole day.

when did this happen?

I haven't used or even seen the exploit code you're talking about. I do know it was posted to our guilds forums by this "1337 h4x0r friend" and it was removed pretty quickly by placid.

could I possibly get some more info about those corrupt messages my bot was sending?

by the way, how can my own character or my bot get exp tables broken if they both have been sitting still on same spot for days, not getting any exp :omg:

I apologize any problems cause by my bot, and I can assure you no exploits were used

I'll get my bot fixed as soon as i find the problem, in the meanwhile it will be only on test server (if i still have access there)

Edited by Astrocreep

Your bot was sending messages with an invalid length, which was the same technique used (prior to that bug being fixed) to steal password.

And it corrupted the exp table because we had a bug in our server that caused a buffer overflow under certain circumstances (such as sending repeated invalid length packets).

Ok, I removed your IP from the banned list (will take up to 20 minutes to refresh) but I don't want to see those messages in my log. We have over 100 bots in the game, and your bot is the only one that does that.

BTW, the test server is using some slightly different (unpatched) code so for the time being it will not disconnect on invalid length messages.

Ok, I removed your IP from the banned list (will take up to 20 minutes to refresh) but I don't want to see those messages in my log. We have over 100 bots in the game, and your bot is the only one that does that.

BTW, the test server is using some slightly different (unpatched) code so for the time being it will not disconnect on invalid length messages.

185499[/snapback]

Can ya send him the commands at the very least that was sending invalid length messages? Might help debug the issue quicker.

I don't know, we don't log that.

Well, if he REALLY want, I guess he can test which commands get the bot disconnected. But I want this issue to be fixed ASAP.

Your bot was sending messages with an invalid length, which was the same technique used (prior to that bug being fixed) to steal password.

And it corrupted the exp table because we had a bug in our server that caused a buffer overflow under certain circumstances (such as sending repeated invalid length packets).

185497[/snapback]

was it just one type of message or did all of them have invalid length?

i tried to connect tux yesterday evening and it got broken pipe right after receiving server motd and trying to send a #gm stating it's back online.

so i assume it would be the chat messages which are broken?

and thanks for removing the ban :D

Edited by Astrocreep

was it just one type of message or did all of them have invalid length?

i tried to connect tux yesterday evening and it got broken pipe right after receiving server motd and trying to send a #gm stating it's back online.

so i assume it would be the chat messages which are broken?

and thanks for removing the ban  :D

185503[/snapback]

Yes, I guess so. it happens that invalid chat messages sometimes fucked up the exp table..

I don't know, we don't log that.

Well, if he REALLY want, I guess he can test which commands get the bot disconnected. But I want this issue to be fixed ASAP.

185502[/snapback]

I will get it fixed, I belive I already know where the problem is