Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aerowind

Oldbie Poll

Who liked the game the way it was about a year + ago?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who liked the game the way it was about a year + ago?

• I did, it was awesome!!
    • Pfft
    • I like the way it is now

No Aero - anyone can state their opinion and point of view - like I did? I've tried to ensure that I don't point the finger at anyone in any of my posts regarding this - specifically because, in general, I can't be sure that my experience of them has anything to do with other peoples. the 'No offence to Aero or any of the other 'olbies' ' was not intended as a reference to you but as a coverall reference to all the older players without refering to anyone in particular as an example of anything. I'm honesty sorry if you took this as an attack on you - it was not intended to be that.

So get your facts straight before you judge.  All I was doing was stating my opinion of the community as it is now, etc.  What? Someone can't state their opinion anymore?

187223[/snapback]

Well, since you're pushing the discussion this way, let's get some facts straight, and some opinions noted.

Well I'm sorry to correct you gadai, but I'm very nice to newbies, that's why I was one of the best newbie helpers back in the day, but as newbies were unkind to me I was unkind to them but when I find a nice newbie I usually appreciate him.  I was starting to hate RICh because it had some dumb @$$ newbies in it and I constantly saw them repeating offences that ticked me off. 

If I'm not mistaken, you have never reported to me any RICH newbies being unkind to you. I have always had people in my guild reporting your attitude towards them, but I don't recall you ever doing anything positive about their behavior (be it acceptable or not). Also, having someone be unkind to you is not an acceptable reason to be unkind to others, especially to newbies.

Whether you constantly saw RICH repeating offences is debatable. Constantly is a strong word. Funny that being a newbie helper, what you did was harass them, rather than help them, which is your job.

I didn't report them to you because I didn't think you were going to listen, and also I wasn't a newbie helper at the time, when I became a newbie helper again, I was finally so fed up with the fight I decided to sort it out

No offence to MrMind (never annoy your guild master - Rule 2) but this isn't really about that - it's been debated elsewhere and doesn't serve any real purpose to revive it here. This is a VERY general discussion regarding the perceived (by me at least) split between some of the older players and the newer ones. If we start into 'you're guild said that my guild' we lose the point - and the possibility of actually achieving something.

This thread isn't for achieving anything; it's just a place for people who miss the way the game used to be to whine about how the game is now.

This threads turning into the "Post a Pic of yourself" thing. Umm, am i right, or crazy?

btw, in the next five years, squirrels will take over the world! They'll enslave us and make us work in there nut mines!

<Edit> I mean by the rate it seems to be going is making it like the pic. thread.

Edited by Gecko_Master

So i stoped, i plan to throw RP events after the next update as soon as i can..But if your not into rp, suck my nut. You can powergame somewhere else.

If you jsut mean like talking on top of the Votd houses. Need some help, count me in :P I'll gladly do any events that are all talk and maybe a bit of clicking, but not so much clicking as talking. Yes i like talking, sadly for all you soft ears.

Right, I have nothing but respect for most of the older players that I have gotten to know in my <whatever> time on EL. They have been friendly, helpful and fun to know. A rare few however have always treated me with the classic 'You n00b I'll pwn you' when I've approached them about stuff -......................

funny, that. some of the oldbies are then chaff, but they get respect (well, probably just from others of the same. seems to be most often they're PKers, and quite possibly male sometimes-young teen... odd, that.)

Gadai if this in any way goes to pking, i pked many a n00b, i even joked my favorite h obby was Whack-a-n00b. Now i got a few items, this way and ltos of gold. However, anybody that would pm me asking for their items back, recieved them, and if they didnt' cuss me out, usually recieved my friendship and respect. If they cussed me out they got nothing, unless they cooled down a bit.

erg am i a n00b newbie middlebe or oldbe? I'll make my own class of EL player: a nobody 

--------------------

its you and me against the world. we atack at dawn

Your signature even tells me that XD, you and your teddy bear (gir yes i know what gir is Invader zim rox i just got a invader zim t shirt) take over the world.

lmao, 90% of oldbies havnt played long, maby they started early..but havnt played many hour..im sure of that..so all the top players r the oldbies, or Elite

Your proving once again, how much of a hypocrite you are, donp has no life... when it seems that you are very much the same. Either way we may not have spent as many hours as you, but we've seen all EL has and HAD to offer, before all these updates.

Aerowind+Tumma~~~Move on bud, or join aisy man. Sorry to breakit to you, you will NEVER again see the old el you loved, even with a oldbie server, there is no way all the old community will come back.

Gadai+Mr mind+others~~~~I applaud your fight, but neither side gains any ground. You are locked in a stalemate in which the winner will be the most stubborn. and neither side will fall to the other's beliefs.

Nitpicking your topic (and wishing he could see elise again)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Spockie

Edited by I_am_Spock

yeh rofl, just play something else if u dont like it..welcome to 2005 noob

aero:

<~~From

And for all of you people that RP but just dont get a chance..when the new update comes out there will be plenty of RP...trust me.

Edited by Yoshi

lol wats all this "oldbie" shit?...if you dont play the game dont post on the forums

187664[/snapback]

Most of us still know more about this game then you, even after we left. And were exxperienced it all unlike you. As for Satan's sentence totally agreed, beside the negative end which is Satan's like. Prolly because he can't be a ass to anybody in real life without getting his ass handed to him.

Edited by I_am_Spock

Prolly because he can't be a ass to anybody in real life without getting his ass handed to him.

187802[/snapback]

Which is probably 97% true. Shivar just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who could break bones (and I'd know a little something about that).

Then why does Illa have such a great community Tuma? You know you cant powergame to much in there. theres an exp block for that.. Also, Thats right...the role players are intelegent..

But i echo aerowinds arguments. we do have some problems with the new system, and theres probably more to come. But! if Roja and the Dev team fell it is better for the game...then we will have to follow, like it just quit. i have stopped playing continulsly, until the new update comes out.

I also miss sitting in kf. i do miss the failed messages. and most of all, i miss the great community that has seemed to go down the Black hole of noob's. Thats why my location still says "still wondering what happened to the community" it was originally just for the oldbies to know what it meant, cause they would know if they were on chan 4 with me, or harvesting cactus to buy a tit short...:D

But all in all, i miss the players more than anything..like these oldbies:

Pyderz

Slasher

Zonetheta

Tropy(havent seen him :icon13:)

Neo(or Aepox if you know him by that :blush:)

Blueyetti13

boki

teach

nilly

godsy

i know im missing some..but these were the first people i thought of..

Come back!!! :P

185327[/snapback]

geelef...

btw spock you had awesome long post ;=)

personaly i think it's nice to play el once in a while if i get mood to be play its not like

community is that bad or something it's just that i don't know that much people anymore (means quite a lot are strangers to me) and i just don't talk to them :/ and why can't i do what i want its not like you HAVE to talk to n00bs (not meaning newbies)

BUT SPOCKY!!!!!!!!! I don't want to move on ;) Grrr... well TKoS will cheer me up with our RP sessions :P

Olbies who complain that things were better "back then".... I have sad news for you: You *WILL* be disappointed in life.

Guess what: THINGS CHANGE.

It's called evolution.

The same olbies that say they liked it the way it was were (at the time) asking for more and more updates to the game. Honestly, I've never heard such hypocricy. Did you all just join the game and never level up? Did you all start the day when the only thing you could was walk on IP and were perfectly happy with your lot in life?

For those of you who say there is only one goal in this game and that is to beat other players - wow! You really have issues. Have you ever had friendly challanges? <I>Talk to a guildie and have a race to a goal (level or whatever). </I> Or *gasp* just want to improve yourself. <I>I want to get to level 20 in everything.</I>

Everything, life and EL, is what you make of it. If you CHOOSE to be disappointed and depressed, then know that it is your CHOICE. If you CHOOSE to look at every change as a challange to overcome, then again, it is your CHOICE.

But don't put down the players who enjoy the game or the developers who have spent untold number of hours adding all the features that everyone (yes, Oldbies too) have asked for.

And if after reading this, you still CHOOSE to be down upon the current version of EL, then I have good news for you: EL isn't the only MMORPG out there. You can find others. Good luck.

Did you all just join the game and never level up?  Did you all start the day when the only thing you could was walk on IP and were perfectly happy with your lot in life?

187946[/snapback]

yes, and yes

Everything, life and EL, is what you make of it.  If you CHOOSE to be disappointed and depressed, then know that it is your CHOICE.  If you CHOOSE to look at every change as a challange to overcome, then again, it is your CHOICE.

and ur CHOOSING to doubt the fact that oldbies might know a little more than you do about how things were waay before you were here?

yes i have finally entered this discussion..and im gonna go back and read all the pages soon..but i wanted to respond to this post first :D

EDIT**

ookay after looking over previous posts i think I'm gonna get up on my soapbox and tell what I think about this whole thing. Flame if you wish. I'm not trying to make enemies or separate groups I'm just telling what I see.

The Oldbie 'generation' of players are in essence the people who formed this community as it was getting started. It was much easier to relate to each other back then because there were so few of us. We all got to know each other so well that we ended up sharing many common likes and dislikes and thus the community of EL was exactly how we wanted it to be. We/they were much more open, I guess, to new people back then because they weren't as common back then.

Now, this never could've lasted very long, since the game was/is continuously growing faster and faster. Obviously, the community would grow and new players would start pouring in.

The people who stuck with the game from the beginning (eg when you couldnt do anything besides talk and rp) were people who were there to have fun and build community. The people who joined way back then and expected a game to do some hardcore training day in and day out, those people were filtered out by the obvious fact that they couldnt train at all. They all quit (ok not all...but u get the idea). So the people left over, eg today's oldbies, are people who were/are here to have fun above all other things. Of course lots of oldbies train a lot, but that wasnt/isnt as important as having fun.

To anyone who says that the oldbies are hypocrites for wanting updates...wtf? we dont talk about the Older vesions of el and the older models like they're better than what we have today. We talk about them like we miss them, because we have so many good memories w/ them. If you cant understand that, then please dont criticize and call us hypocrites.

I think I covered all that I want to cover for now....again, I'm not out to make enemies. I dont regard myself as anything better or worse than anybody else in this game simply because I was lucky enough to find this game earlier.

Edited by 7

and ur CHOOSING to doubt the fact that oldbies might know a little more than you do about how things were waay before you were here?

I don't deny that they know about things before I entered the game at all. I *KNOW* they do. That's fine with me.

To anyone who says that the oldbies are hypocrites for wanting updates...wtf? we dont talk about the Older vesions of el and the older models like they're better than what we have today. We talk about them like we miss them, because we have so many good memories w/ them. If you cant understand that, then please dont criticize and call us hypocrites.

But the problem is, is that some (not all) DO complain that the older version was better. That the current versions of the game are not fun, that they can't enjoy it. I mean, just look at the forums. How many calls have there been to create an old server or to return to the old game?

Okay, and what's wrong with them having an opinion on which one is/was better?

This still doesnt make them hypocrites. They may have suggested changes back then, but the game didn't turn out how they had expected. You can't blame them for liking one thing more than another thing.

Having an opinion is one thing.

But bashing the new one is something else.

I'm sorry things didn't turn out they way they invisioned, but attacking the current players (and let's face it, many are quite condesending towards the 'newbies') and the work that has been done (let's not forget that the developers are all working as unpaid volunteers) is something else.

It would be one thing to have a "Remember when" post. I've seen those. Those are a lot of fun (usually with pics and stories). But these bash posts are just negativity and I'm sorry if you disagree, but I really don't think they have a place on these forums.

This thread by Aero is actually the first time I've seen "bashing"... I dont really like that aero would bash the newbies and the game etc....but I can't recall seeing this anywhere else....ever. If you can show me some other threads or topics that'd be great.

I don't keep a list of links handy, sorry. And I'm not a big fan of the Search engine on these forums.

Check out posts from Aerowind and SirKillalot though.

Also, check out posts where "oldbies" feel the need to separate themselves. As if they are somehow better. What does it matter WHEN you got here? As long as you got here. And age is one thing in the game, but what you've contributed to it, how you've added to the community, how you've helped others means more to me than when you started.

Hmm, only thread I can find explicitly slamming newbies, development, change, et cetera, was last posted on January 21, 3 days before I joined EL. The Rise and Fall of Old EL

After reading it, I'm glad I didn't check the forums before I tried the game out - I would NEVER join a game where the established players (and some (now former) mods/NHs) openly slammed newbies mercilessly, without regard for the fact that once, they were "newbies". Totally a shameful thing, and I'm glad this has been the first overt newbie-bashing I have been able to find since then.

However, you cannot deny that careful reading of just about any "oldbie" thread in this game does contain tinges of the anti-new sentiment among certain oldbies.

Ok, seems I started a post, and hadn't read Kit's post yet, about not being a fan ofthe search button... maybe I'm missing some threads, in that I'm not "searching the right spots with the right words".