Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aerowind

Oldbie Poll

Who liked the game the way it was about a year + ago?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who liked the game the way it was about a year + ago?

• I did, it was awesome!!
    • Pfft
    • I like the way it is now

No offence to Aero or any of the other 'olbies' but some of the oldies have, frankly, a bad attitude towards the newer players. A sort of 'you're not here as long as I am so I'm a better person' thing which is really irritating and presents a barrier between those 'olbies' and newer players. Which is a pity considering the same 'olbies' keep going on and on and on about how they hate how the sense of community has diminished.

It has sort of created two communities within EL - the newer players who, in general, associate with each other and the more open older players and the 'olbies', who, apparently, refuse to believe that anyone who joined after June 2004 has worth.

You create a community, creation requires imagination and open mindedness.

lmao, 90% of oldbies havnt played long, maby they started early..but havnt played many hour..im sure of that..so all the top players r the oldbies, or Elite :P

No offence to Aero or any of the other 'olbies' but some of the oldies have, frankly, a bad attitude towards the newer players. A sort of 'you're not here as long as I am so I'm a better person' thing which is really irritating and presents a barrier between those 'olbies' and newer players. Which is a pity considering the same 'olbies' keep going on and on and on about how they hate how the sense of community has diminished.

It has sort of created two communities within EL - the newer players who, in general, associate with each other and the more open older players and the 'olbies', who, apparently, refuse to believe that anyone who joined after June 2004 has worth.

186856[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Guys, if you think being 'olbie' is so important. And you'd like the 'oldbie' status to be something and want the community to get better - open your eyes, your mind and be a little more respectful to others. What your doing with these sort of posts is creating a completely pointless barrier. A barrier in which, you 'oldbies' become the minority.

Now, get over it, and get a long...for pete's sake.

lmao, 90% of oldbies havnt played long, maby they started early..but havnt played many hour..im sure of that..so all the top players r the oldbies, or Elite :)

186866[/snapback]

Can't say we're mates or anything Shivar, but from what I know if you get used to seeing <whoever> around for a few months you tend to treat them the same as anyone else who isn't an in-game buddy. I can respect that :P

Shivar...

Buddy...can I call you that? Shivar, buddy...

Typically, I would argue with you about how "OMFG I've been playing tihs for almost 3 YRS with a few mnths of break for a broken rib and wut u just PWERGME ooo i wnt to see ur BLOOD on teh FLOOR of HAPY SPIRTS Tavern & INN butnoooo u n00b dont know wat a disgrace it wuld be 2 teh memory of that bel0ved 0ldbee gathring U SUCK"

...but I'm a little tired today, so I won't.

If the oldbies want special treatment because they've played longer than us, then let them have special treatment. If you don't bend to their will, they'll bitch about it and say how the noobs have sent the community to hell, and we'll never have peace.

To be honest, I'm sick of the holier than thou crap I've been hearing since I joined the E-L community. Most of the in-game oldbies are perfectly open to newer people, and generally nice. However, on the forums, I have to wade through so much random crap like "we need special forums just for US because WE'RE awesome and new people aren't" or "I'm throwing a party for people who started before July 17th, 2002, but none of you n00bs are allowed," because clearly playing a game for less time than Tumaros makes me an inadequate pile of crap that can't possibly form a coherent thought.

I've played longer than Tanyia. Am I better than her? Hell no. I've played longer than Enyo. Am I better than her? Hell no. Princeofdarkness has played longer than me. Is he better than me? HELL NO.

It's the same thing I experience in school. The fifth graders are better than the kindergarteners because they're older and taller, but the seniors have the right to park in a certain parking lot because they're older, so clearly better, than the freshmen.

Now I'm going to go sing "Hello" another 37 times, because I haven't got the energy or presence of mind to deal through any more of the attitude. I don't want to play EL anymore, because I already get to deal with "older means better" on a daily basis, and I don't need it in my online games.

:evilgrin: Guess we have different versions of school, then...

Up here, the kindergarteners are better than all of us 'cause they just plain rock...and they're nuts...hell, kindergarteners sit with seniors whenever they have a chance...all of us sit with differen't age groups ('cept me, I sit anywhere there's free food and a hot chick)...we've got a pretty inviting school...

'Cept I feel sorry for the nerdy types...they never have it easy...

And @ Kala...

Leaving? FINALLY! You can stop ruining everyones (and I use everyone's loosely, mostly I mean "my") day with your gothic-esque "Life sucks"-isms.

And as for your little "Princeofdarkness has played longer than me. Is he better than me? HELL NO." line...

You'd best keep your f**king mouth shut about PrinceOfDarkness...or else I might shine sunlight on you :sneaky:

"Regards,"

~Tumie

[EDIT: censored]

Edited by Tumaros

Just kinda wanted to mention to some of these "oldbies" what makes the more respected player in the mind of a newbie (kinda, talking about from my beginning).

The person who first steers you in a direction that will help you develop a character.

The people on Channel 1 who patiently answer your questions, which they have probably already answered a million times, and will likely answer another million.

The people that hold that cool contest, and give you something special - well, anyway, special to you; they likely had a few dozen clogging their storage.

The people who ask you to join their guild, help train you so you can, and then welcome you into their guild.

Just a note, if you see a newbie honestly trying, not just begging for stuff, swearing, demanding, and whatnot, at the very least, show some respect: once, you were new, and you weren't any better than they were. For all you know, the person may be the next great PKer, and wouldn't that be a nice friend to have in KF? Or, maybe your next guild armorer/crafter/potioner/alchemist, and a cheap supply of armors/rings/spirit rests./health ess. for you when YOU come to need it?

You never know the future, so don't soil it in the present.

Did I mention that a savage fire is going to tear through happy spirits when the update comes?

The person who first steers you in a direction that will help you develop a character.

The people on Channel 1 who patiently answer your questions, which they have probably already answered a million times, and will likely answer another million.

The people that hold that cool contest, and give you something special - well, anyway, special to you; they likely had a few dozen clogging their storage.

The people who ask you to join their guild, help train you so you can, and then welcome you into their guild.

187081[/snapback]

you realize you just said everything i do >.> and im one of the Oldbies, we hold contests..but newbs come and ruin them with questions taht dont relate. I mean who wants to do something in RP when someone comes up and goes, "HOW DO I PLAY THIS GAM3!!1~ 1 4m t3h 1337 H4m5t3r!!!"

So i stoped, i plan to throw RP events after the next update as soon as i can..But if your not into rp, suck my nut. You can powergame somewhere else.

Did I mention that  a savage fire is going to tear through happy spirits when the update comes?

187085[/snapback]

I will seriously kill you -.- no joke

Quick reply as I have to rush to work. Yoshi, the newbies find the n00bies annoying as well - I am/was a newbie still and I can testify to that. No one is syaing that all the older players are unfriendly - just that some seem to be willing to throw the wheat (i.e. good, but new, players) away with the chaff (the l33t etc etc) and don't even bother trying to figure out which is which.

More later I guess, when I have time to explain myself properly.

... just that some seem to be willing to throw the wheat (i.e. good, but new, players) away with the chaff (the l33t etc etc) and don't even bother trying to figure out which is which.

187088[/snapback]

funny, that. some of the oldbies are then chaff, but they get respect (well, probably just from others of the same. seems to be most often they're PKers, and quite possibly male sometimes-young teen... odd, that.)

you realize you just said everything i do >.> and im one of the Oldbies, we hold contests..but newbs come and ruin them with questions taht dont relate. I mean who wants to do something in RP when someone comes up and goes, "HOW DO I PLAY THIS GAM3!!1~ 1 4m t3h 1337 H4m5t3r!!!"

So i stoped, i plan to throw RP events after the next update as soon as i can..But if your not into rp, suck my nut. You can powergame somewhere else.

187087[/snapback]

I'm actually hoping for a chance to prove I can RP...

I think Gadai just said in a few words exactly what I meant.

Seriously, there needs to be something we can do about the n00b factor. :P

*Knows he has something waiting, no matter what happens to Happy Spirits...although it shall forever be immortalized in the great "How Much Longer"*

Arnieman...if you're into roleplaying, I suggest a 'quick' (*ha*) read through it, over in gen. chat...it's worth it, trust me ;)

*Knows he has something waiting, no matter what happens to Happy Spirits...although it shall forever be immortalized in the great "How Much Longer"*

Arnieman...if you're into roleplaying, I suggest a 'quick' (*ha*) read through it, over in gen. chat...it's worth it, trust me ;)

187179[/snapback]

I was actually, well, a couple pages into it...

Thanks for proving my point, "Tumie." I didn't suck up to the oldbie, so you made a snipe and sent me, the newbie, on my way.

Ruining your day? Have you even spoken to me in the last ever? No, you haven't. Unless you're already having one hell of a shitty life, in which anything short of a sugar-coated happy pop and an army of bunnies and piglets would send you over the edge of your sanity, you're just making things up to make me seem like a gothic-esque "Life sucks"-ism spouter.

I'm not leaving E-L because of a couple stuck-up snobs who ruin the experience. I can be perfectly happy in my own little circle of friends. So kiss it.

*curses work for interrupting his EL time* Now - where was I?

Right, I have nothing but respect for most of the older players that I have gotten to know in my <whatever> time on EL. They have been friendly, helpful and fun to know. A rare few however have always treated me with the classic 'You n00b I'll pwn you' when I've approached them about stuff - let me make this clear - in none of those cases was I begging for anything - except perhaps to be treated as a person and not a stereotype. I guess it's my own problem to a certain extent that I leave that type of behaviour affect me but... While I'm old enough not to leave other peoples attitudes about me annoy me too much I'm sure that many younger players with, perhaps, less confidence may have been put off by such treatment.

Maybe they deserved it - maybe not. Maybe certain players are just so disillusioned with the playerbase that they can't bring themselves to be open to the possibility that someone who isn't an 'olbie' might be a good friend if given the chance. If that is the case why does that type of player bother with the game - there is no progress possible with that mindset.

Hopefully this will cause some of those players (some of whom I'm sure are nice people) to question their cynicism and be more open to new opportunities. Hopefully it won't just generate the same blind 'You n00b - I pwn you' type of response that overtures of friendship cause.

Edited by gadai

186856[/snapback]

Well I'm sorry to correct you gadai, but I'm very nice to newbies, that's why I was one of the best newbie helpers back in the day, but as newbies were unkind to me I was unkind to them but when I find a nice newbie I usually appreciate him. I was starting to hate RICh because it had some dumb @$$ newbies in it and I constantly saw them repeating offences that ticked me off. So get your facts straight before you judge. All I was doing was stating my opinion of the community as it is now, etc. What? Someone can't state their opinion anymore?