Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aerowind

Oldbie Poll

Who liked the game the way it was about a year + ago?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who liked the game the way it was about a year + ago?

• I did, it was awesome!!
    • Pfft
    • I like the way it is now

While Other-Life isn't intended to go back to the old way of doing everything, it is intended to do things like have less rules, more community involvement, and fewer noob issues. But there is a small fee that will be required.

We have not finished laying out out how everything will be handled and for actual play it is intended to be harder and more challenging. Feel free to start a free account and add you input if you'd like.

Newbie island was actually more of a getaway for the Newbie Helpers/Mods/Admins...after the campfire (actually...empty lot...before the campfire was even implimented...) was stolen from us by the newcomers, we fled to newbie island...

And again, same effect...newbie island filtered out the people who were too stupid to figure out how to harvest flowers and make a fire essence, then take a boat and make a glove, to get into the game. Hell, take a look at some other games' tutorials...slightly more complex, for the most part...

...and then of course there were the ORIGINAL quests...I'm talking about the "get me one of each flower on the island" "get me [#] bunny furs" ...the "love-to-hate-'em" fetch-and-carry quests, as simple as they were, were a GREAT start, at least for me...and even those were too hard...those filtered out the types who couldn't be bothered to actually explore the island and SEARCH for that elusive chrysanthemum, or discover the "secret" (HAH!) beach...

Damn, even the way you talked to NPCs was a bit more appealing...

THEN

NPC: Hello there sir. How are you?

Your options:

"I'm fine, how are you?"

"Who are you?"

"I'm looking for a [bla bla]"

"Just passing by..."

Now

NPC: You see a tall fair elf before you. "Greetings, traveler. I am Bob."

Your options:

Greetings

Traveler

Bob

With the introduction of this new style...I dunno...I suppose it's a bit easier...I haven't really had much experience, let alone completed any quests like this, but...

Ahh who am I kidding...

Everyone misses "The Good Old Days" because we fear change.

EL still rocks.

'Nuff said.

Not all the time...Before big groups would gather...now, you either need friends in big places or decent stats (but don't wear good armor :blink:)

oldbie oldbie.. just go hang on test server or something

Yes, yes, yes, the good old times.

Everything was new, everything was fascinating and now its old, is gone or has changed.

I still can remember a party at the Happy Spirits tavern to celebrate 100 ppl online. And Tumaros still owes me the beer i ordered :omg:

Or the cristmas tree at camp fire.

And now we have other things in game, the community changes, of course. But isnt it fascinating to watch how the game is brought forward?

I started this game to find out what such kinds of games are. And i still havent got an answer.

That is what keeps me still in game and i find fascinating to watch. Where is this game going to? What will happen next?

Piper

I voted one, but i'm not gonna mention it all, i left nearly a year ago now, so i'm not gonna comment on the game.

I will say thank you, everyone (cool people, the ones that wont' make post "oh thanks so much spock i know you adore me, after this post"<===satan) for making el fun while it lasted.

hey now.. i play runescape.. and while i did play el, i never bag jumped or scammed.. i never scammed in rs either... so u cant say all noobs come from rs.

hey now.. i play runescape.. and while i did play el, i never bag jumped or scammed.. i never scammed in rs either... so u cant say all noobs come from rs.

185487[/snapback]

no. but by and large most of the people who act up on chan 1 are RS-ers. even if only 10% of the people EL gets from RS are rude or obnoxious or whatever, they're still a large percent of the annoying people (oddly enough, at the other end of annoying and rule breaking is a couple of high level mostly PKers)

and unless we give the answer they want (which is basically for us to give them the answer, heal them, give them armour and money, etc) immediately, they get abusive. how do we know they're RSers? because they then start ranting and raving about RS being better than EL. and keep on about it, instead of going back to what they claim to be a better game.

as I said, even if it's 10%... they give RS and RS players a very bad name, and the generalisation was roughly valid IMO

as for other-life... well... if people have to pay beore they can play, you've already weeded out those looking to cause a bit of trouble, and there's real monetary loss involved if you don't behave.

it can work there... it can't work here

I beleive i heard newbie island was getting revamped (either that, or it'd have to be revamped if it was gonna come back)... that would be great. if they are here to be stupid, well, they have to work a whie before they can do it. it's also a small measure against char creation to get around bans, etc, you need to put in a certain amount of effort in order to have a new char validated. Older players(EL age, not RL) who want a second char would no doubt be able to run throuh those simple tasks in a few minutes. hardly an impact on them if they want a 2nd char... but an impact if they want two dozen.

I'm not really an oldbie myself, only started playing last december. but even since then the community has seemed to go a little downhill (less people answering PCs on chan3, more people acting like noobs, etc)... though only a little. the community, by and large, is still quite good.

technically, EL is improving greatly (the snowy IP map was kidna annoying, but other than that...), and will no doubt continue to do so for a long time

quests, storyline, and NPCs are getting a revamp. hopefully those areas will be to more peoples' liking soon

Just for reference here:

Oldbies are considered to be players who started around Autumn 2003 or before.

Just for reference here:

185534[/snapback]

So it's that bland of a description? So are middlebies people who started after Autumn 03 and before December 23, 2004 at 6:35:32 pm? :mellow: (Please note the sarcasm)

Can't really put a timeline on things like this. Because with that type of logic, a person who joined, say, February 2004 wouldn't be considered an oldbie if he continued playing till 2008. ;)

People know if they're an oldbie, middlebie, newbie, or whatever. They just do.

The original oldbies say to us "Second Generation oldies" that it takes us playing longer to be considered an olbie. Personally, I think if you play like a year and a few months, you are an oldbie.

Just for reference here:

185534[/snapback]

I discovered EL in Spring 2003 (I don't have a clue how I did that... :D) and walked around for maybe a couple of hours. But after the holidays I didn't think about EL until a few days before X-mas 2003 -- I can't remember if it was before or after December 21st though... So, am I? ;) ;)

:P Anyhew, I even posted on the old forums (as far as I remember..) -- that is, the forums before the phpBB ones; the Entropy (wasn't it?) forums. Did they get saved? I'd really like to read what I said back then... ^_^

Just for reference here:

185534[/snapback]

Says who?

Just a rant from me here... I'm getting sick of the "oldbie/newbie" classifications... You say the community's gone to hell and can't stand the n00bs? Let me tell you the single biggest factor that's ruining the community - you stupid, exclusive "oldbies" who want to whine because Eternal Lands isn't the same game you started with, and rather than contribute, you want to try and ostracize anyone who wasn't there. BOO HOO.

Things change. They get better or they get worse. You trying to alienate anyone for trying to come in and love the game you once loved, that totally defiles the spirit of MMORPG. If you think things are getting better, say so. If you liked how things were, and want them back, you have every right to say so. What you have NO right to do is attack anyone who isn't one of you, who wasn't lucky enough to have found this game in its early days.

Funny thing about this game I've found in the short time (played since January here) I've been here, is that EL has no room for people who it. Stay or go, your call, but if any of you oldbies, to whom what I have said applies, wish to preserve any good name in this community, quit trying to trash anyone who isn't you. </rant>

Now, to the "oldbies" who actually have tried to become part of the "new" community, and still try to help this game and such, I don't want to leave you out: what you do is commendable, that while many of your fellow oldbies act like total smegwads, you actually have tried to grow with the game. I hope we all have something to learn from you, in this case.

and so that goes for your point one, but you'll probably flame/ignore me over that.

Point 2-3: As their related, I'll lump them together - the rules needed tightening - we grew to a much larger community. You can probably remember partying because 100 players were online at once - we're well past that now. Small problem when more people join a game, the rules have to get stricter, or control WILL be lost. Just a natural progression. Also the "Rule 24" everyone dislikes now, well, I'd like it a little more lenient, but realize if everyone on the forum had mammoth signatures, the entire forum would probably start taking a half-hour to load - on DSL. Some threads already are horrendous to dial-up; it's bad enough without adding in signatures.

Also, blame it on both ends too: on one end, the RS kiddies come in, demand free stuff, flame EL, sing praises to RS, and "magically" disappear. On the other, certain PK players won't allow the market to operate, thinking it's perfect for their own little "chat channel". Tell me why either of these need tolerated?

point 4: Bagjumpers and scammers - they suck. Generally accepted that saying they suck isn't that good, but as long as we have a forum for that, that's what it should be used for.

point 5: Ah, your "good old economy", when everyone was poor, but had lots of gold to say it. When "beaver furs went for 1Kgc"... you do realize it's a GOOD thing for the economy to be corrected? Or do you really think gold needs to be more plentiful than toilet paper?

and a point of my own: next time you want to tell us how much we suck now, how about you actually involve yourself in the community as a whole before you attack it?

Woo Go arnieman :D I myself have been playing over a year now and it was nice back then were i could acturally sit in a pk map without having to worry about being pked. I would also like to see all the Wolf members back like teach or nillyfein but sadly times have passed and it's all a memory..

how can it be fun sitting in a pk map and not having any action? u can chat also somewhere else

as lomg i play EL, i let no1 chat in KF! KF is for PK

if u dont PK get the **** out my property ;)

What you have NO right to do is attack anyone who isn't one of you

185640[/snapback]

I can say I agree in part, though not presentation.. but you've just phrased the ultimate oxymoron. ;)

Edited by crusadingknight

Just for reference here:

185534[/snapback]

And what of me aisy? one of the most popular people in all of el's history.... not that i'm bragging about it, i did thank you all for being cool people for a reason.

It's just a super bland judgmental message Spock. Everyone has their idea of what makes an oldbie, middlebie, or newbie. ;)

I wasn't being judgemental at all. Just giving a reference for people to get an idea of what oldbies consider to be oldbies. I'm not an oldbie, i'm rather an old middlebie ;)

I love EL the way it is, and I loved it the way it was. There is no crime in reminiscing either. I work hard for it now, even though I loved a lot about it that is gone now.

It isn't so much that a player is an oldbie, newbie, middlebie, whateverbie...it's the attitude that counts. The n00bs who give noobs/newbs a bad name. The gimme gimme gimme this game sux because xyz game has blah blah blah and EL doesn't, EL should get it because xyz has it. That is what people don't like, and you have to admit, there is an awful lot more of that now than there was. It's for these people that more rules had to be made, and why "oldbies" tend to miss the "old days". Not because they don't like newer players.

I liked EL now

Liked it back then

I remember first time i entered KF there was like 30+ ppl in there just sitting and chatting - Spockers and Beyonce protected me :-P . Yes,I agree the community has gone bad in a way but you've just got to make the best out of what you've got and play the game.