Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aerowind

Oldbie Poll

Who liked the game the way it was about a year + ago?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who liked the game the way it was about a year + ago?

• I did, it was awesome!!
    • Pfft
    • I like the way it is now

Okay newbies that don't know what the heck I'm talking about don't post here

Yes and no, this is kind of flaming but not really, just stating my opinion

Okay 1. The community has gone to s**t (Main reason I used to play the game...)

2. The rules are becoming to massive I mean my siggie wasn't very big and it just got hammered by the rules

3. I mean thanks guys for providing us with an awesome free game, but were starting to become no better then Runescape, Were becoming WAY to strict... I mean sure we need to enforce things and the newbie helpers need to help; but we used to be able to just kid around and everything, we used to HAVE FUN!!!

4. MY GOD!!! Bag jumpers... why is everyone complaining about them... It's a way of playing the game, oooo you lost some stuff, yeah I used to complain to hell about them (Lord_Vermor can testify that)

5. I loved the way the economy was way back (lots of money, lvl requirements, and no books)

Yes, Roja will probably lock this or something but I don't care... just stating my opinion, I've stopped playing because of these.

Yeah... I liked just sitting in KF having a nice convo, much fun... :unsure: I mean god, sure LV you still play but I can't stand it anymore

There are other things to be playing for. There may be things you don't enjoy but there are many more things that count in terms of the game. Those are the things that keep me in the game. You always gotta find the good in the bad.

Well I played for the community mainly and like I said it's s**t now... I'm to lazy to lvl up it's just the same thing over and over and over again...

yea i quit playin.. just wasnt my thing.. wasnt very fun.. community isnt as great as everyone says it is.. so yea. i hear ya

I dunno... I don't think I agree with your points #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5...

But of course that's just my opinion :unsure:

I liked it the way it was, and I like the current developments! I really look forward to v1.0.2!

i liked when you could say fuck i only really have a problem with the rules if your kids arent supposed to hear bad laguage then dont let them play for god sakes

i like the licence thingy it is funny :unsure:

Umm... what licence thingy?

yep, sure was fun (well you can still go around and say it but people will only see smeg) I mean yeah when smeg came out first it was fun as hell but... now it's just kind of annoying

Again, with the reqest for a "classic" server if a bunch of us could wrangle up enough cash...hell, if I didn't have to worry about school, I'd do it...but...sadly...life...arrrrgh...

Righteously so with the original license thing sirdan

And by that, of course, I am not only referring to the "OMFG my daughter is a cute fluffy pink little girl" paragraph, but the ORIGINAL license "thingy..."

when you actually had to read the license to retrieve the correct ISP# to play.

Before you skip this, admins and devs whom I love so very much, please understand this...or at least, consider it, as I present it in the most straightforward way possible:

......................................Return of "License Trick"

.............................................[PLAYERS: = ]

...............................................\/.............\/

..............Less Powergamers/n00bs...........More "Intelligent" Players

.......................[PLAYERS: - ]..........................[PLAYERS: +]

(The way I see it, there's two types of players:

The "Powergamers" [you know who they are...the n00bs]

and the "Intelligent" players [pretty much everyone else, roleplayers, socialites, manufacturers, etc.])

In other words, if there was a way to return the "must read the license to play" trick, sure, there won't be as many players, but you know why? Because all the runescape/powergaming n00blets will be too m**f** STUPID to figure out how to play.

Total amount of players: Possibly a drastic decrease

Without the Powergamers, the community will be more inviting.

Thus, more people will be attracted to the game, and very likely [as is my own personal experience] will spread the word to others

Total amount of players: A decent increase, depending on how much advertising is down (word of mouth, online, etc.)

Perhaps the community could even out, and ultimately improve.

Of course, the license trick is just a small way to improve the community...but in time, perhaps, to quote blink-182 "all the small things" could add up quite quickly. The game's lasted 2+ good, solid years so far, trust me, there's time :P

A lot of that probably didn't make sense, with it being...12:08 AM and all...but...you get the idea :unsure:

I'll admit..after a year of playing youdo tend to sort of get lazy with levels and just use EL more of as a chat.

Oh..as for above...I, unfourantely, have only been playing a little over a year...but I do remember reading about that in a multi-part article entropy wrote (think it was him) and that acutaly is a good idea :blink: StillI dont see why people coudlne't acutaly read the licencese <_< Are people acutaly getting that stupid :)

maybe the licence trick should be done but like when you log in without changing the port it sends you t another server witch says please read the licence and of course you wont be able to play or make chars there o well it wont happen because i suggested it

I want to go back to the time when you got messages every time you harvested something, when we had good...

...Bah, I don't want my post deleted. Use your imagination.

......................................Return of "License Trick"

.............................................[PLAYERS: = ]

...............................................\/.............\/

..............Less Powergamers/n00bs...........More "Intelligent" Players

.......................[PLAYERS: - ]..........................[PLAYERS: +]

(The way I see it, there's two types of players:

The "Powergamers" [you know who they are...the n00bs]

and the "Intelligent" players [pretty much everyone else, roleplayers, socialites, manufacturers, etc.])

Total amount of players: Possibly a drastic decrease

Without the Powergamers, the community will be more inviting.

Thus, more people will be attracted to the game, and very likely [as is my own personal experience] will spread the word to others

Total amount of players: A decent increase, depending on how much advertising is down (word of mouth, online, etc.)

Perhaps the community could even out, and ultimately improve.

Of course, the license trick is just a small way to improve the community...but in time, perhaps, to quote blink-182 "all the small things" could add up quite quickly. The game's lasted 2+ good, solid years so far, trust me, there's time :D

A lot of that probably didn't make sense, with it being...12:08 AM and all...but...you get the idea :P

185239[/snapback]

Then why does Illa have such a great community Tuma? You know you cant powergame to much in there. theres an exp block for that.. Also, Thats right...the role players are intelegent..

But i echo aerowinds arguments. we do have some problems with the new system, and theres probably more to come. But! if Roja and the Dev team fell it is better for the game...then we will have to follow, like it just quit. i have stopped playing continulsly, until the new update comes out.

I also miss sitting in kf. i do miss the failed messages. and most of all, i miss the great community that has seemed to go down the Black hole of noob's. Thats why my location still says "still wondering what happened to the community" it was originally just for the oldbies to know what it meant, cause they would know if they were on chan 4 with me, or harvesting cactus to buy a tit short...:D

But all in all, i miss the players more than anything..like these oldbies:

Pyderz

Slasher

Zonetheta

Tropy(havent seen him :()

Neo(or Aepox if you know him by that :P)

Blueyetti13

boki

teach

nilly

godsy

i know im missing some..but these were the first people i thought of..

Come back!!! :D

I'll admit..after a year of playing youdo tend to sort of get lazy with levels and just use EL more of as a chat. 

185266[/snapback]

I once did get a bit lazy with levels, but now i am back all over them. I got my crafting to 10 (i know big improvement :P *sarcasm*) which i never thought i'd do, and my a/d lvls up as well. I guess it's all really in the head. If you know what i mean. i enjoyed the game in the past but even more now. I know that there are a ton of scammers and nOObs in the game, but face it. Any game you go to, there will be people like that. EL is different from those others. It has many good people. People who are willing to hold out a helping hand and be a friend.

If you do not realize that, then you are lost.

I love this game for many reasons, and one of the big ones is that this game has helped me realize my true personality, helped me make new friends even though we may never meet, they are there for you to help you through the hard times. Some of these people in the game are even better friends then the ones i have in RL. I guess the main reason is because i'm always helping my friends back at home, and so there is no one to really help me. and now i'm getting off topic....

well, that's one huge reason :D

another is because it keeps me entertained during these long boring summers. Not that i don't enjoy the summer, it just gets boring :(

well, i guess anyway that i try to explain it; it all goes back to the people here.

-Kat

I don't agree with #5. The economy was really messed up like a year back but the new system didn't change it. EL never had a working economy imho.

And for #3, rules are getting stricter because there are more n00bs coming who think it's fun to abuse stuff and destroy the game. Sure rules also destroy the game and the fun, but I think it is the only option to handle these problems. If we allow them to do **anything** they want there will be more of these people coming and nobody will have any fun anymore.

A way to solve this problem could be -- like you already mentioned -- to bring the license trick back.

In my opinion bringing the newbie island back instead could also help to filter some n00bs out, who just come in to cause trouble. They come in - have to read all the stuff and pass little quests. Then hopefully potential troblemakers just leave. :-p

Oh yeah... the good times when channel 4 had 50 people in it

@Moonie, I mainly posted the rule thing just because of the siggy thing but it does refer to all the other rules. When I saw my siggy and that it was changed and it said "Rule #24" I almost s**t my pants, I didn't know we had that many rules...

Edited by Aerowind

I agree with Marc, Tuma, and Moonie.

It was awesome the way it used to be. Yes the game had it's flaws, the economy was horrible but I loved it personally. Loved harving the cactus, running from the PL gobbie, and had many fun times running pants to trik...I loved the platinum coins and loved having over a million gc...I loved the required levels and sitting at the tavern making those combat potions to get my potions cape...loved the well you could sit in...and I do miss the oldbies.

But: there are awesome changes too. And let's not forget, this is beta. Trial and error. Some new things worked, some didn't. Some will, some won't. But we are always working on making it better.

I also think the biggest problem is the different community. So therefore we do need more rules, and stricter ones now, or we would really have bad problems. I think the license thingy should come back, and newbie island too. Imo, players who don't have the patience to read the license, get through newbie island, and read the manuals and help sites are not the kind of players we want. I agree it is better to have fewer quality players than a lot of jerks running around. And the "quality players" will tell other potential "quality players" about EL.

When i started EL, there were 14 simple rules. now theres like 35. I left the game because, there is nothing to do. Its the same stuff day in, day out. EL is being up-dated, but not at a fast enough to keep some people (like me) who like to constantly explore. heres from what ive seen is the rate of updates....

EL - 1-3 months

GW - 2 weeks - 1 month

WoW 1 week - 1 month

I know the p2p games update faster, but i think EL should get more people to help develop the game. Blizzard (WoW deveopler) has hundreds maybe more people working on the game, No clue who developed GW, but they apparently have lots of people too, EL whould develope faster if more people volentered or were hired to work on the game.

Thats 2 cents

(this may sound stupid)

i agree with you for the most part Aero. but there are just barely enough good people still playing to keep me from quitting. i think we need the license thing and the newbie island back. im tired of all these n00bs ruining the game :)

The license trick where it told you to change something in the game folder, or the game wouldn't work?

I was worried about that, because I had no clue how to do that, but I couldn't get EL to download properly in the first place (until Radu finally told me to use a download manager and WinZip), so I never had to bother. I guess he took it out between March and August of 2004? Because when I downloaded it in September, I didn't have to change anything...

A newbie island... sounds like a grand thing to reimplement. all the runescape junkies could hang out there all alone  :)

185377[/snapback]

The RS Junkeis are mostlikly the bagjumpers and scammers