Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JaneMuffin

Turn off chat logging

I have heard alot of people asking lately if there is a way to turn off the chat log and so far evryone has said no there is not a way to stop logging all chats.

I had a brilliant idea, I made the chat_log.txt file read only and guess what?

El would not start.

So I put it back to what it was.

Is there anyway you guys can program an option into el.ini to turn off all chat logging?

Also an option of

#ignore local would be great for the times that someone (ussually me) is just yapping away about something you dont care about with a group of people, and you dont wanna take the time to ignore the whole group.

Thanks,

JaneMuffin

Ignore local will own. A friend once created a char named Harvest, and everyone had him on ignore because the harving wasnt automatical these days.

I have heard alot of people asking lately if there is a way to turn off the chat log and so far evryone has said no there is not a way to stop logging all chats.

It's really easy.

Open your favourite terminal app, enter your .elc directory and issue command:

ln -sf /dev/null chat_log.txt

Works on linux and other unix like systems. Have no idea about windows. I have no windows at all to try that.

Regards

Chryzopraz

Edit: typo

Edited by Chryzopraz

It's really easy.

Open your favourite terminal app, enter your .elc directory and issue command:

ln -sf /dev/null chat_log.txt

Works on linux and other unix like systems. Have no idea about windows. I have no windows at all to try that.

Regards

Chryzopraz

185432[/snapback]

*dizzy* Okay wait, wait! By terminal app do you mean text editor? And by .elc directory do you mean el.ini?

Unfortunatly I am using windows (XP).

I am gonna go and try to put that line in el.ini right now, but I have a feeling thats not what it is.

Thanks for your help :omg: I will post if it works :P

JaneMuffin

Btw, the last time I heard the term "Terminal App" it was to discribe a program that let you log into BBSes i.e. TeleMate, and I KNOW thats not what you meant lol :D

*dizzy*  Okay wait, wait!  By terminal app do you mean text editor?  And by .elc directory do you mean el.ini?

Unfortunatly I am using windows (XP).

I am gonna go and try to put that line in el.ini right now, but I have a feeling thats not what it is.

185482[/snapback]

Nooooo!

Commiserations on having to use WinXP you poor thing :D

What is described doesnt work under Windows.

"terminal app" means a consol windows, like "CMD" or the DOS prompt ("C:>").

The command "ln -s ..." is a UNIX instruction to make the chat log file actually be a 'copy' of a special file which throws away anything written to it (/dev/null).

*dizzy*  Okay wait, wait!  By terminal app do you mean text editor?  And by .elc directory do you mean el.ini?

eep, nope. terminal app is like the dos box/command window/whatever (and yes, *nix nuts, dos is nowhere near as good. but poor windows users don't have anything better. and it's a basis for comparison)

and ~/.elc/ is where EL stores your chat_log, error_log, el.ini, etc. it's a folder in the users' home directory. somewhat similar to your 'My Documents'.

won't help any. EL will ignore it

Thanks for your help :D  I will post if it works :icon4:

JaneMuffin

Btw, the last time I heard the term "Terminal App" it was to discribe a program that let you log into BBSes i.e. TeleMate, and I KNOW thats not what you meant lol :blink:

185482[/snapback]

well, not too far from the truth.

and the `ln -sf /dev/null ~/.elc/chat_log.txt` thing means basically "make the chat log be linked to /dev/null".

/dev/null will basically allow you to put stuff in it, which will then be discarded. your chat_log will never grow.

ed: whoops, a little too late. oh well.

as for ignoring local in-game... don't do that. and for ignoring in chat_log... why would you need to? you never know when something interesting will et saved there. just delete it if it gets too large

Edited by ttlanhil

eep, nope. terminal app is like the dos box/command window/whatever (and yes, *nix nuts, dos is nowhere near as good. but poor windows users don't have anything better. and it's a basis for comparison)

and ~/.elc/ is where EL stores your chat_log, error_log, el.ini, etc. it's a folder in the users' home directory. somewhat similar to your 'My Documents'.

won't help any. EL will ignore it

well, not too far from the truth.

and the `ln -sf /dev/null ~/.elc/chat_log.txt` thing means basically "make the chat log be linked to /dev/null".

/dev/null will basically allow you to put stuff in it, which will then be discarded. your chat_log will never grow.

ed: whoops, a little too late. oh well.

as for ignoring local in-game... don't do that. and for ignoring in chat_log... why would you need to? you never know when something interesting will et saved there. just delete it if it gets too large

185531[/snapback]

There's a deeper reason why she wants to. Can't blame her reasoning either.

well, I'll step up for this, see if i can make it work quickly.

it'll mean a rename and chane for #log_server i beleive. you'll be able to turn off logging entirely

but I can't garuntee it'll be in 102 yet

done

if used with 101 client, level 1 will be missing. just use level 2 if you're working with version 101. if you're using the test server (pre-102) than this will work as intended

level 0 is no logging at all, everything else is the same but moved up one number.

the name has also changed, however. from #log_server to #log_chat (more appropriate, I think)

remember that numbers have gone up, and the default is now 2, not 1

with this, you can also play even if the client can't write to chat_log.txt. You'll get a red warning at the start of the game (and if you use the config window to try to log again, if it fails, another red message)... and of course nothing will go into srv_log or chat_log... but otherwise it will work fine, automatically going into #log_chat level 0

Edited by ttlanhil

Btw, the last time I heard the term "Terminal App" it was to discribe a program that let you log into BBSes i.e. TeleMate, and I KNOW thats not what you meant lol :w00t:

185482[/snapback]

Actually it's almost what I meant :)

I am sorry it's not working in Windows, but maybe you should try a better system? :pinch:

Regards

Chryzopraz

Well thanks guys :) You all are great :)

*still a bit confused*

So can I put that command into el.ini right now and make it stop the logging, or do I have to wait for an update before putting it in?

I am sorry it's not working in Windows, but maybe you should try a better system?

I used to use dos back in the days when windows was optional. I truely miss those days.

I remember a time when you could delete a file no matter what kinda file it was and it would never say "Cannot Delete, This file is currently in use"

And now I am old and decrepit (a quarter of a century +1!!) and dont think I can ever learn a new operating system.

But I promise in my next life I will stay away from window :)

Thanks again guys :)

*EDIT*

I downloaded that file and now I am really really lost lol

Can you give instrustion (like you would for a 2 year old) please :)

JaneMuffin

Edited by JaneMuffin

for the patch I made, you can only use that if you compile EL yourself, or use my precompiled version(which I have only been doing for the test server).

otherwise we hope that it does into 102 and you'll be able to use it then

YaY!!! I had lost this topic and not I found it!!! :D

Thanks ttlanhil for making the patch, I also hope they implement it into the next update.

You RockZ! *picture a smiley face rockin out, I am too tired to upload and put it up* :pinch:

JaneMuffin

EDIT: Too sleepy to spell!

Edited by JaneMuffin

*grabs Wytter's hands*

Now we are so happy, we do teh dance of joy!

Da da dadada nana da da da!

*Jumps into Wytter's arms*

Voila!

(I'm not as good as balky from "Perfect Strangers" but that was a damn good impersonation if I do say so myself :blink:)

JaneMuffin

EDIT: Not sleepy, but still cant spell :P

Edited by JaneMuffin