Eternal Lands Official Forums
Dimov

How to fix the economy

Remove ALL moneydrains. This will remove the need for gold. This way noone will trade for gold , everyone will trade item-4-item. The second thing is a punishment for price undercutters. Prices will be periodically anounced by #jc 3 ( trust more ppl to mod it ). If any1 sells at 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001 gc (if any1 will still be usin them ) different price, he will be warned several times, and there comes the new punishment - deprive. you can #deprive someone from a skill/item , it would bring the skill to 0 , or will destroy all of the given item in storage and inv. Something can be done to remove the need for books, since they contradict with the main reason for advertising the game.

Edited by Dimov

.....I..... Can't Tell.... Is this suppose to be Sarcastic or what?

I mean, This Can't be a Serious Suggession.

It's just so .... Stupid!

Wow...this has to be the stupidest out of ALL the suggestions on how to fix the economy..Seriously..no joke

I suggest you shut up and take it like it is, because the Economy always changes, get used to it. You dont see the Government running around telling places what to sell what for! how should this be any different? People can charge what they want to charge, but they will get hurt if they go to low or to high so the Supply and demand isnt worth, or cant keep up with it's self. So sit down, take a breath, and just chill..This is a Capitalist game, The guilds are trying to make a Set price list for Guilds, but it hasnt been set yet.

So chill already.

And also..Deprive? wtf are you on? seriopusly, If someone wants to sell for their price, let them sell, THE MERCHANTS will deal with him if he does something wrong, not the Mods, the mods already have enough to do..trust me, I was the Community Advisor before i left..So leave them alone, they do more stuff than you can fathom..

Yoshinoko Yoshida

Guest skaar
The second thing is a punishment for price undercutters.

free market ? ever heard about ? :D

only regulation that will work are the buy/sell NPC.

(and trik should buy steel weapons - else no1 will ever manu them and no, no1 will buy them in market channel)

Why punish people who set there own prices ?

In many games I play I either sell for very low prices or for free, Bartering was highly in-efficient and you might never get what you want if the person didn't want what you had to offer.

Edited by Ormus

vanyel Posted Today, 05:52 PM

I have read many stupid and ridiculous ideas. This one is class for itself. Impressive

You said those lines just because I sugged it you hater.

I did an overkill with the planned economy, but the barter is the best way of trading. I play MU and lots other stuff where jing is basically useless, because players trade items for items, and noone whines about economy.

vanyel Posted Today, 05:52 PM

I have read many stupid and ridiculous ideas. This one is class for itself. Impressive

You said those lines just because I sugged it  you hater.

184896[/snapback]

Nope, I said it because I think so. I don't really care if you call me hater or not. If you would suggest something, in my opinion sensible, I would say it. Apparantly this idea is, well, I wrote it above....

With best wishes

vanyel

Oh my word... you're SERIOUS.

That's... scary right there. Really. I thought this was another post like the "What to add next" thread right after they put in the harvesting random events.

Edited by freeone3000

Oh my word... you're SERIOUS.

184912[/snapback]

nah, can't be... can it? nah, surely not...

ooer. maybe...

yes, that's scary

Bartering was done before money was widely implemented.

Money is better as everyone can use money and would accept money (provided it was enough money for the item) its also easier to carry around and more efficient.

Bartering was highly inefficient and difficult, you might spend weeks or months trying to barter for a pericular item, heck you might have to do jobs for the others for example (this was an experiment done recently at a market in England).

Guy goes to a market to buy a big cooked sandwich, he says he as no money but can trade this book for the sandwich. The food maker says he doesn't want that book but would trade the sandwich to him for a bag of onions (he just ran out of them). Barter person goes to numerous vegetable stalls trying to barter for onions but no luck, eventually he finds one who says she doesn't want what that book as to offer but wants a new frying pan (she as to stay and run the stall so can't get one herself).

The guy goes off to find someone who sells frying pans in the market, he eventually finds one but he doesn't want he book but wants a plug adaptor so he can use his radio and reading light. Guy goes to another similar stall and manages to barter the book for a adapter. He goes and gives the frying pan seller the adapter for the frying pan, gives the frying pan to the onion seller and takes the onions to the Food maker who is almost about to close up his stall. He accepts the onions and gives the guy the sandwich, time taken was almost 6 hours.

So you see why bartering is not a good thing, with money as a economy base then everyone as a chance of getting what they want where as very few would get what they want barter wise.

If there was no money in the game, then an alternative would evolve (probably lillacs or something).

While barter would be interesting to some, it would put an awful lot of people off playing EL, and would rapidly lose its appeal/novelty to the former.

There is a way to remove money drains though and even have a more stable economy, adapted and heavily simplified from modern finance and monetary systems, which allows direct control of money circulation and indirect control of price development via loan limits and prime rates.

Ok... someone goes to the Portland Bank and loans some money, lets say loan limit is 100.000 gc.

Why should the player ever pay back the money? Will you send the Portland gobbie to whack his ass to make him pay? :mace:

Piper

I have a detailed outline published elsewhere. It includes means to cope with this and other problems. I just wanted to mention that it's possible. For instance, you have to pay interests for your loans, and there are additional punishments (e.g. distraint) for bankruptcy. There's also an approach to the problem that A loans $BIG_SUM and gives it to B, then types #killme yes (or just lets the character rot) which I cannot remember atm.