Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sander

Anti-blocking code

I have seen a couple of reports about blockers in the abuse forum. Sometimes blobking happens by accident as well, especially near busy places (grim, silvermine, etcetera).

Perhaps the pathfinding code could be altered to compensate? First, try to find a normal path. If it's all blocked, look if you can find a path that takes you though players. Make sure you don't end up at the same spot as another player though.

This would make you walk through other people *only* if there is no other way, and the endpoint is not under another player. You are still blocked by creatures though. For added help, maybe this should only be possible in non-fighting maps (so in PK area's, you can still block someone).

Well if somes one blocks a boat there is usally a way around like if someone blocks the DP boat, people could just go through wsc-portland-DP but there is no way round Isla Prima - White Stone so path blocking is a real big problem for EL, in other (not so good) games like Runescape, people are able to walk through people but im not sure if that would suit EL so im stumped, good idea sander

I gave this problem some thought on school today.

Maybe add something to the mapeditor - an option to make a tile 'unstandable'. Meaning: you can walk on it, stand ther for about 30 seconds, but if you stand there longer, you get teled to the side of the unstandable area.

IE boatblocking. You can walk up the boat without a problem, but if you're on the entrance too long, you get teled to the other side of the boat, clearing the path.

sounds great!

a slightly other idea: pushable areas (pushable tiles)

- meaning one can be pushed away by another player if he's 15 or 20 seconds on the area.

I think this needs more programming then Geelef's teleporting (another action/icon, problem of a second person blocking the path of the person who gets pushed away), but it's just that I'd really *like* to PUSH someone of the freaking +bridge+ when he's s***ging BLOCKing it and appears to be AFK too!! :x :evil:

(Ah well, I once felt like described here on the bridge in northern Portland... :lol: )

Maybe there should be a #jump command which would teleport you a couple feet forward, just enough to get past them. Here's a visual:

:twisted: :x

"100 gold to pass"

:twisted: :idea:

#jump

8) :cry:

haha

i donjt like mar©'s idea becasue witht hat people would abuse it and just push people for the fun of it and stuff

It should almost impossible to push for fun; I'm really only talking about the 1 tile wide bridges and gangways, and the blocker should be 15 or 20 seconds on that area before you can push him.

ah :P

but how to get off the boat when there's a block? (apart from taking the first boat back :roll: )

well there's the problem then :P

you can be a mage and use the teleport to range spell, that comes in handy in those situations :)

Ah yeah the Tele2Range spell :?

(You can't imagine how disappointed I was finding out the range being as small as your local view...)

[sarcasm]So now we only need to make it a level 0 spell needing 0 sigils and 0 reagents because we shouldn't forget about the n00bs...[/sarcasm]

Or make it a Tele Blockers 2 Range spell... oops we're back where we started :roll: :wink:

[edit]> Eldwen: "apart from taking the first boat back" implies #beamup is even less option :P [/edit]

I'll make it like this:

Define 'critical areas'. The server will check every 10 seconds or so if you are in a critical area. If you are there for more than 1 minute, you will get an warning. More than 2 minutes, get a boot.

More than 3 autoboots in a week, IP ban.

How are you going to define those areas? It would have to be pretty specific. I stand at the lakeside docks having a nice chat with trik for quite a long time, but I'm not blocking anyone. You'd have to specify the exact points that can be a problem if they're blocked.

I'll make it like this:

Define 'critical areas'. The server will check every 10 seconds or so if you are in a critical area. If you are there for more than 1 minute, you will get an warning. More than 2 minutes, get a boot.

More than 3 autoboots in a week, IP ban.

Tport them and then boot, that way when they reconnect they won't appear in the same spot.