Eternal Lands Official Forums
Noc Laf

Travelling cloaks.

We all love customisability in games. I had an idea earlier this evening, that maybe there could be another cloak seller/addition to Victor, where we could make our own cloak, choosing the colour, I've counted at least 13 different cloak colours in the game files. Of course this would not come cheap, the cloak alone would be say around 5000gc, or some sort of ridiculous price so it's not something everyone has, with the option to add emblems onto it for 2000-3000gc, and then adding perks for the price of the said perk cloak, only one perk per cloak though.

It's something that I'd like to see, because it adds further customisation to the game making things more unique and frankly because I'm a poser :bow_arrow:

Discuss.

Cloaks would become a competition, a mark of wealth.. and degradation..For simply wearing something plain and un-flashy, people will be scolded and insulted by half the player base. :/

I don't like it. But I'm just a Gnome.

Cloaks would become a competition, a mark of wealth.. and degradation..For simply wearing something plain and un-flashy, people will be scolded and insulted by half the player base. :/

I don't like it. But I'm just a Gnome.

181828[/snapback]

Yeah, but aren't magic swords a competition too, people buy them and I've only ever seen CG actually use one. This whole game is a competition to some people too, most newbies that come on say I'm going to be the best, but maybe I'm not reading your message right.

Swords are differant, they're made for it. Competition(In the manner of Battle) is there intent. Whereas Cloaks are clothing. Fighters can have their flashy ways if they wish. ;p

It's a good idea. And I'd be all for it, If people wern't so prone to what we use as an excuse for behaviour; "Human Nature". But again, I'm just a gray-clad Gnome.

Edited by Hazor

I'd rather not see this limited to cloaks... if you are able to do this with cloaks you're ready to do it with all the other clothing too

and besides, like the suggestion with magic swords, you can get a custom cape for real cash (US$200 I think, but it will be unique and you don't lose such items on death, etc)

I also think you can have images put on your cloaks that you find yourselves much like how the forums avatar options work. This way if you find a really cool pic on the net you can walk around looking good.

I also think you can have images put on your cloaks that you find yourselves much like how the forums avatar options work. This way if you find a really cool pic on the net you can walk around looking good.

182285[/snapback]

If you mean putting doing this yourself it's very simple to do that just edit the image file, but to do this in game would be difficult/not very good for those of us on 56k. All the images for cloaks would need to be included with the client to make it 56k friendly.

182285[/snapback]

People would start putting innapropriate images on them eventually, once the game grows to multiple thousands of players, that'll be extremely difficult to stop..

Some time ago I was looking into Heraldry and coats of arms (CoA) (unrelated to EL).

It struck me that the formal descriptions used in heraldry (written descriptions being sufficient for an artist to recreate the shield) was very much like a programming language.

If people wanted CoA on capes or shields, then it should be possible to condense a description to a few bytes, and compose the design by layering a set of stock images and masks. This would minimise the need for downloading new designs.

This is of course less flexible than completely unique images. For client side there could be a mod to add local designs to capes according to characters or guild (etc) -- but this would only be for the benifit of the player using that client installation; other players would see the normal appearance (or their own set of designs).

This would mean a lot of characters going around with "Kick Me!" on their backs though...

All we really want is more model designs and colours isnt it? I for one, really want the ability to edit the models clothing. Fair enough dont let us change races/gender but surely we could have a wardrobe window :):fire::pirate: :pickaxe_rune: or something?

:P:P quinticus :P:P

Edited by Asmodai

All we really want is more model designs and colours isnt it? I for one, really want the ability to edit the models clothing. Fair enough dont let us change races/gender but surely we could have a wardrobe window :don:  :leo:  :miky:  :raf:  or something?

183241[/snapback]

Asmodai...why would you bring the Turtles into this? They don't even wear clothes! So they should not have a say! :P:)

You can customize at least cloaks at this point...however only you would be able to view it in its altered state. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to create a how to guide for the time being until this wish is granted?

I kind of agree with asmodai, we should have a "wardrobe window" or something to customize clothes, hair color and facial hair/expression. some people aren't willing to give their real money up for just a game, so we should have a type of shop that can customize your character, say differen't hair dyes would be 500 gc each (including all colors, not just the dull ones we have now :hiya:) a tailor that can make different clothes colors and clothes types (maybe 500 for shirt, 250 for pants, 100 for boots.) This would suck alot of money out of the game and give players a feel of customization instead of forking over $5 just to change the color of some pixels.

I kind of agree with asmodai, we should have a "wardrobe window" or something to customize clothes, hair color and facial hair/expression. some people aren't willing to give their real money up for just a game, so we should have a type of shop that can customize your character, say differen't hair dyes would be 500 gc each (including all colors, not just the dull ones we have now :P) a tailor that can make different clothes colors and clothes types (maybe 500 for shirt, 250 for pants, 100 for boots.) This would suck alot of money out of the game and give players a feel of customization instead of forking over $5 just to change the color of some pixels.

183643[/snapback]

the reason they charge is so they can get some money out of spending hours of working on this game. plus with that five dollars you can change your race to a p2p.

Edited by gilthanas

I pay for WoW, so do 3.5 million others. Proving people will pay for a game. (150 some USD a year) I like the cloak idea though! :whistle:

All we really want is more model designs and colours isnt it? I for one, really want the ability to edit the models clothing. Fair enough dont let us change races/gender but surely we could have a wardrobe window  :P  :fire:  :D  :pickaxe_rune:  or something?

183241[/snapback]

I would love this too. Hm, the inventory window currently partially takes up that role, allowing you to equip different kind of armour and fur clothing. However that's not much of diversity, and doesn't really allow for a personal look. We're also working on a customization feature allowing you to change the appearance of certain items when you wear them, for instance if you use a client compiled with -DCUSTOM_LOOK you will see members of my guild wandering around with hemp leaves on their shields. But that's something different I think, because it's only usable for long-term customization such as guild symbols on capes and shields. It doesn't allow you to customize your look for short-term (like role playing) reasons, for instance wearing a nice dress on a marriage, though. Wardrobe is something I am really missing in our little fantasy world :(

Why would the dev. and admins let us change our wardrobe for free? this is a way for them to make 5 bux here and there when we get bored with what our character is wearing. not alot of people are paying to play yet and they have to make something off the game somehow :)