Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aerowind

What's your desktop?!?!

You have barely any....I was just getting sick of all my icons so I dumped them all in a folder.  I'm almost positive their is a lot more junk and software on my computer than yours :-P  If you need proof...i'll get my installed programs list...lol. 

You should have seen my desktop before....I had to use differnt icon arganing settings just to find all the icons...because they diden't fit on my desktop... :glare:

189796[/snapback]

no i dont think you do.thats just my desktop. I also have to run 2 web sites. I use apache2triad, and ws_ftp. but I took unix commands and put thim in windows, linux commands. for c:\ and alot more. I also a bunch of p2p programs. kazaa, aris, bare share, morphious..and more. trying to write somthing similer to eternal lands in gaphics quality and performence in c++ but trying a more fantasy theme like FFXI...but so far im doing crappy at it.. I bought a book to learn though.. :stare: anyway I have alot.. alot on this computer. and soon I will buy a server and host websites more like freewebs...and try to make some money! :P

Very nice Brin, where did you get that theme?

Wanna make it available to me? :-P

192445[/snapback]

My wallpapers are on my deviantART accout. There are also links to all the themes I made.

These themes are used for my current desktop:

Wallpaper: gfw.2

GTK1/GTK2: Phacile

Metacity: Ghrome

GkrellM2: invisibleXT

PS: I did not publish my icons. They are not freedesktop.org compliant, so they will probably never be released.

Edited by Brin

I guess I'd might as well post some pics of my environments (Ubuntu 5.04, with gnome-2.10 and fvwm-2.4.*)

Gnome: Slightly modified icons and background (I think I found them on http://www.gnome-look.org ?):

gnome-screenshot.jpg

FVWM: Modified from an OS X-style theme which I believe PEM made.... I just rearranged it, removed the clutter, translated it to english, and redid the panel iconsset. The desktop itself is handled by the rox-filer pinboard, using the goRilla icon theme. (The weird background image was generated by Fyre. Come to think of it, there are several thumbnail views of fyre-generated images in the fvwm screenshot.)

fvwm-screenshot.jpg

EDIT: Hrm, I wish the board supported HTML, so I could display those images smaller.

Edited by crusadingknight

Click me!

My screenshot. Gentoo with the new Gnome 2.12. The JPEG compression sucked all the beautiful colour out of my terminal fonts, but meh.

I love minimalism and hate excessive desktop icons and bright playskool colours. ^_^

I love minimalism and hate excessive desktop icons and bright playskool colours. ^_^

195567[/snapback]

IceWM! :P

My screenshot. Gentoo with the new Gnome 2.12. The JPEG compression sucked all the beautiful colour out of my terminal fonts, but meh.

195567[/snapback]

So, is it worth the time to update?

IceWM!  :P

So, is it worth the time to update?

195576[/snapback]

I never tried IceWM yet, lol. But hey, my desktop still doesn't have a ton of icons and playskool colours! :P Let's see.. I tried KDE (I used to be a total KDE addict and compile it from CVS every night! Feel free to run screaming now), Gnome, Fluxbox, Openbox, XFCE, Enlightenment.. I think that's about it. The horrid beta of Gnome 2.12 made me go back to plain Openbox for awhile - SO many bugs, lots of apps wouldn't even start... but now that the final version is here, I think it's worth it to upgrade. I suppose it's not an extremely major release, but there are a lot of cool changes including stuff like Cairo. Some things that always bugged me are fixed now and there are lots of seemingly minor, yet very useful (for me anyway) UI improvements and new features. The main feature I wish they would add now, in Metacity, is support for switching virtual desktops by scrolling over the desktop background with the mousewheel, like you can do in most other WMs. I need to run "openbox --replace" to use Openbox as the WM instead, since I can't live without that feature (habit) Oh yeah, and a decent menu editor instead of the half-baked one that they decided to include - the only thing you can do with it is remove EXISTING menu entries. You can't add new ones, you can't rename them... they could have just implemented Smeg or Denu or something if they didn't want to code it. <_< They shouldn't have removed applications:// in the first place, grr.

I still haven't updated ALL of Gnome though, the updates are trickling in one by one a bit slowly to (unstable) Gentoo portage.

..........runescape............your dead!

:brooding:

Yay! For rpg maker users! 

its a very cool program, you got it too? :lol:

I never tried IceWM yet, lol. But hey, my desktop still doesn't have a ton of icons and playskool colours!  Let's see.. I tried KDE (I used to be a total KDE addict and compile it from CVS every night! Feel free to run screaming now), Gnome, Fluxbox, Openbox, XFCE, Enlightenment.. I think that's about it. The horrid beta of Gnome 2.12 made me go back to plain Openbox for awhile - SO many bugs, lots of apps wouldn't even start... but now that the final version is here, I think it's worth it to upgrade. I suppose it's not an extremely major release, but there are a lot of cool changes including stuff like Cairo. Some things that always bugged me are fixed now and there are lots of seemingly minor, yet very useful (for me anyway) UI improvements and new features. The main feature I wish they would add now, in Metacity, is support for switching virtual desktops by scrolling over the desktop background with the mousewheel, like you can do in most other WMs. I need to run "openbox --replace" to use Openbox as the WM instead, since I can't live without that feature (habit) Oh yeah, and a decent menu editor instead of the half-baked one that they decided to include - the only thing you can do with it is remove EXISTING menu entries. You can't add new ones, you can't rename them... they could have just implemented Smeg or Denu or something if they didn't want to code it.  They shouldn't have removed applications:// in the first place, grr.

I still haven't updated ALL of Gnome though, the updates are trickling in one by one a bit slowly to (unstable) Gentoo portage.

and now in normal english!! :pinch:

Hrm, Enlightenment DR17 is both minimalistic and eyecandy (just watching the demos is crazy.) Never tried IceWM myself either, because my FVWM2 preoccupation is taking some time to create an excellent theme. (KDE Plasma will possibly get back several KDE users, though, especially once Xgl is fully integrated.) Meh, they still have no GNOME 2.12 stuff in Ubuntu backports, so I'm sitting here waiting.

Edited by crusadingknight