Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

religious holidays, calendar, etc?

as far as I have seen, EL uses the standard western calendar. so that's probably covered.

what about (religious) holidays? being a medieval time, the solstices, equinoxes, and midpoints are likely to be special dates in EL too, as well as days of special meaning for the church of each god, and possibly also for different towns

during my reading on storylines, I don't recall having seen much on the issue, have I missed something? has something been written elsewhere? or should I come up with some ideas to bounce around on the topic?

~ta, ttl

Each day has 6 hours

Each month has 30 days

Each year has 12 months.

Also when it comes to holidays and the such, i good time to establish this will be in December. Another contest will be held for Race information and Lord, also gods and religion will be welcome as well.

forgot about the december contest <_<

ah well, it can be left until then :blink:

I don't have anything besides the equinox/solstice/midpoint stuff yet, would have looked through storylines and google for anything beyond that

Why don't you start by taking common holidays commonly celebrated and assign a god or put an Eternal Lands spin on it?

Thanks, Lyanna, for the referrence, it will help greatly! Quartets are an excellent idea. Once we get something in place to smooth over the publishing thing we will be able to take a good look at this.

Actually, Quartets were the one thing I didn't like. Try to get rid of those if possible, and just make the EL year flow naturally, at a different speed from RL.

-Lyn-

Actually, Quartets were the one thing I didn't like. Try to get rid of those if possible, and just make the EL year flow naturally, at a different speed from RL.

-Lyn-

182110[/snapback]

well, without the quartets the calendar just works, so that sounds good to me

Just a small thought - are the month names concrete, or would maybe some/all months have different names, depending on race? I mean, this could come out as 6 different sets of calendar names if no standard forced, and a story idea (if not already used) for why the names are as they are... on a similar line of thought, are the days named?

there could actually be a lot of variation, due to race, religion, and location differences... but I think it's a generally accepted standard.

the names of the months, however, may be changed if there's reason, though I'm happy with lyanna's work

and by naming days, do you mean 1-30, or monday-sunday? the first won't work, the second would

there could actually be a lot of variation, due to race, religion, and location differences... but I think it's a generally accepted standard.

the names of the months, however, may be changed if there's reason, though I'm happy with lyanna's work

and by naming days, do you mean 1-30, or monday-sunday? the first won't work, the second would

182144[/snapback]

Kind of going with week names, instead of naming the days of the month... names like Monday (modified) make more sense to me than naming the days of the month... but, looking at the in-game coded date, weeks aren't defined, either.

I really like the names of the months we really have, they are basically created the same way our current months were. (ie January was named for Janus)

I really like the names of the months we really have, they are basically created the same way our current months were. (ie January was named for Janus)

184075[/snapback]

I actually agree to a certain extent. However, this is my idea.

The month names work well, but there's something lacking to have 6 races develop completely differently, and yet only one existing naming convention used. Three solutions I see to this:

1.) All races have their own names for the months, which happen to be derivative forms of the current names. The current set are the names "set by the gods", and used officially (as in historical accounts, scribe records, town records). Then, each race set would be used by the "laypersons" of that race (bardic stories, folk accounts, and maybe everyday speak in lower castes).

2.) We use only one, but that requires a storyline involving a naming convention that accepts the one set for the major (player) races. Archaic names for months could be made up for use by different races in stories predating the naming convention.

3.) A combination of elements from both ideas.

RL logic I bring to this:

Old civilizations had their own calendar systems they used. Most have generally accepted the Gregorian calendar as the way of business, but some others are still used (for more cultural details, mainly).

Just to say this: I like the names Lyanna has, and I don't want to undo that. However, I would kind of like to expand on this, making a more completed world chronology leading up to the present.