Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wytter

New map editor wishlist

im still having trouble trying to rotate the camera the hot keys to do it dont work 4 som reason can u guys put an addon so u can just push ctrl + left & ctrl + right to rotate 4 the ppl having that problem it could make it a bit easier thx

The persistent ID are local to the respective map. However, a global unique ID can easily be made up from a map ID and the (map-local) object ID, so basicly what you propose would be possible to implement.

I have also some ideas for sophisticated generation and display of trees, but I actually planned to use them in my degree dissertation :P

Gridsnap. Or vertex snap. Or anything that would snap the selected object's certain corner to chosen corner. IE: When doing shorelines It would ROCK to have them go at place with one click without having to change height and rotate them around pixelwise.

EDIT: Should read things more carefully it was already mentioned.

EDIT2: Ctrl or Alt + mouse1 or mouse2 on object would copy it.

- Cedox

Edited by cedox

hevnt got time to read the whole thread, dont know if its been suggested, but a 'copy' and 'paste' option, in case you've run out of room and need a bigger map to finish it...(i always run out of space!) then you can copy your map, then paste it into a bigger one!

Edited by pennifuin

what about a ctrl-b menu for 2d objects and particles?

hevnt got time to read the whole thread, dont know if its been suggested, but a 'copy' and 'paste' option, in case you've run out of room and need a bigger map to finish it...(i always run out of space!) then you can copy your map, then paste it into a bigger one!

196442[/snapback]

OMG yes, and you can add things you've made on a small map onto an already done map.

196442[/snapback]

That feature would be really nice to have, but I also think that you should plan your map before jumping on the map editor.

Still, being able to crop out basic layouts from different maps and then modifying them would save a lot of work.

OFF-TOPIC:

For concept and planning I use: http://www.dungeoncrafter.com/

and for more detailed concepts, I have started using: http://www.dundjinni.com/

Dundjinni *might* be a little overkill, but I have made a custom EL tileset.

So we'll be able to trade and attack in the new map editer :D? (j\k)

Looks great :D:P

:D Dunian :battleaxe:

Oh, i got a good idea Wytter...(if this is possible)..

Have a TEST MODE

This will give you a character(just randomly generated, you wont be able to choose yoru colors/etc) that you can walk around with on your map, with the defaul view of the game! All you will be able to do is walk and sit.

Will this test mode allow you to click on doors and enter houses and the like? I like it very much :D I like the idea of a "use" function available too, in order to test out secret places :) The only thing you shouldn't be able to use are signs and such that would lead to other maps (like if you go into "test mode" on the White Stone map, you shouldn't be able to click on the sign to Morcraven Marsh).

Also maybe you could make the reflections of particles on the water?

If you want to have the map editor use parts of the .def files it shall generate, that'll require part of server code included I fear.

202913[/snapback]

ah ok :mace: scratch that idea then :omg:

If you want to have the map editor use parts of the .def files it shall generate, that'll require part of server code included I fear.

202913[/snapback]

would it really need to, though?

if the .def file is generated from properties of an object, why can't you activate the object in map editor?

granted, you need a reference to the other map, but the coordinates will be required anyway. if you wanted to do some sort of nested maps(sounds complicated, I'll go into more detail), then the map links are already set up anyway

as for nested maps, why can't the 'insides' map be defined as a linked part of the main map? no reason that can't work for places like tarsengaard with 4 sub-areas, either, each region is seperate, but you can do whatever you like within that region

this may introduce some complexity for things such as the magic school, where that map itself is big enough to be work for a mapmaker, but nesting maps can be entirely optional. by default, you can create an 'underground' version (with an option to make it the same size and have ladders/etc at each area you defined as a maplink? that's a lot more work, but may save a fair bit of time)

testing damage over time and such, well, you may as well just do that as a console message. not much is gained from dying, we can assume that works ;)

I don't suppose we could just use #test again? The null tiles didn't work, but otherwise it let me test my maps.

uhh how about a way to group a set of objects like: you pretty ctrl+some button then you HOLD it and click the objects you wish to group and then they are all lifted together if you need to move it and of course a way to ungroup objects just a thought :omg:

Another Idea (Dunno if its possible): Particles that turn on at night, and turn off in the daytime.

Edited by Dunian

First day of developing, I've found a few suggestions.

1,) Tile spread

You should be able to have an icon, like the 'MS Paint' bucket. [The fill all icon]

Select a certain area, select the 'fill all' option while you're laying a tile, and it

should do the entire area selected.

2,)Undo

An undo button, made many mistakes, would be easier to undo the mistakes

instead of re-laying the correct tile.

3,)New tiles

A way to be able to add your own new custom made tiles, this option would be fun.

4,)Saving

When you click on the 'close' icon in the top right (the 'x') a save option should

apear.

5,)Load-up

The map should be on small size, opening the huge map can be quite laggy.

6,)Resolution

An option to change the size of the screen? Re-sizeable?

[instead of dragging it]

7,)New gui?

The current gui is odd, and quite hard to understand.

When you highlight over an icon, no information apears, this should be added.

Add a scroller to the map, Instead of using the arrow keys.

[both options should be there, but a scroller would also make it better.]

The interface:

done6uv.png

Doesn't look too good, but this is a draft. New stuff include:

'new icon' - Creates a new map.

'tile select' - Simple tile select. [Could also have a list box, for the type of map.

Inside Map tiles, outside map tiles, dungeon tiles etc]

'message bar' - Where the Startx/y/z are, could also be a button, to save up space

for the map.

8,)Custom Map size

Enter your own values, for the map size.

9,)Straight Tile Lines

Holding down a key, will produce a straight line of the tiles.

Will find some more, feel free to bash these comments.

Edited by Andrew