Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ghrae

Ring of WTF?!

Nice, I like the idea it would be so funny to see someone spin around and they wouldnt be able to stop it! Maybe they could turn into a special animal or monster, maybe a frog. <----- New animal just when you use the ring.

Edited by Cleo

how about, you know that mods etc can change their sizes or something - or at least ive seen people do it on the test server

maybe there would be a chance that you shrink to reall small or grow to reall big for a certain amount of time :P

And i like the idea of shapeshifting/changing into an animal. Plus the name "Ring of Luck" is a cool idea as its all down to luck what you get from it.

Another idea, you keep alternating between races/genders/appearance every 20 seconds for a certain amount of time? :P

Edited by Komputa

Interesting idea.

However, it would take a LOT to implement and no one would use it anyway, in the long run.

Why couldnt it be that when you use one of the so called 'normal' rings, ie Tele, Dis, Damage, there is a slight chance that it can do what the 'ring of wtf' would do...

roleplay - The craftsmanship was not of a high enough level to contain and channel the magical powers harnessed within the item (of course its just a random chance, say 1/20000, not linked to crafter level) leading to some unexpected results. Contact your crafter immedietly and seek medical help.

They wouldnt have a choice in the matter :P

I think this is a really great idea, but it would need to have more doable and less negative effects. So many WTF?! ideas have been added that no one would really use it. It would probably work best if it were simply a combination of already existing features, plus a few easy-to-implement new things (ttlanhil's color change idea, for example, could be part of it.) The only problem with this ring is that there are so many impossible, though hilarious, possibilities that the devs would be unwilling to implement it. But why don't we have a poll or something to ask how many people would use it?

I _know_ that this is a really old topic, but I love to revive things that I think could do with a little reviving.

Edited by draegox

Interesting idea.

However, it would take a LOT to implement and no one would use it anyway, in the long run.

I would disagree that nobody would use it...never underestimate the power of eye candy and humor...even non-game affecting effects would be a huge draw if they were interesting, flashy, or just plain humorous (such as a player turning into a gargoyle for 30 minutes for example).

With the right balance, and well thought out ideas, I think this would be a very popular item and worth the effort. This is one of the best ideas I think that has ever come along for pure game fun.

Kudos to draegox for searching! :blink:

Hehe, greatest idea ever!!! how bout the chances of it being positive are slim, chances of it being neutal/weird are decent, and chance of it being bad are great.

That way there your always going out on a limb when you use it, but if you get lucky, the positive effects could be great.

Just one little request from me, add a "identity theft" effect that makes everybody else ingame look like your char for one day.

And a "make-over" effect that changes the race and appearance of your char for one day.

hope this gets implemented, im sure it fits in with radu's sick sence of humour =)

Not sure how much/many alchohol and other drugs you would have to use to enjoy such an idea... I do not do drugs so I wouldn't enjoy this.

I vote no, completly pointless to bug developers to getting all this implemented and ending up no one using it.

The game might need more effects and such but this doesn't fit EL at all.

Not sure how much/many alchohol and other drugs you would have to use to enjoy such an idea... I do not do drugs so I wouldn't enjoy this.

I vote no, completly pointless to bug developers to getting all this implemented and ending up no one using it.

You're absolutely right. Random humour and pointless fun has absolutely no place at all in a game.

I would use it. I don't use drugs but I do enjoy a red occasionally.

Lighten up.

S.

This is why I suggest a poll. I've heard opinons for this idea and against it. If it turns out that more people vote against it, then there's no chance of it being implemtented. And even more people vote for it than against, I realize it still might end up ingame. All I'm asking is that, if most people like it, that the devs would seriously consider it and think about the people who would actually use it.

(And no, I'm just crazy by nature. None of that smeg for me, thank you!)

Well if you want to have "fun" there could be more "funny" effects:

1. reset your character.

2. put all your skills to 0

3. poison you with uncurable poison (that doesn't remove even with death)

4. clear your storage (convert items into ashes, for example :(

And to be sure that people use this ring (we dont want Entropy to waste his time for ring that nobody will use):

every day of gameplay you will lose 1 overall level if your forgot to use at least one funny ring :/

Why not let it have the effect of damage ring and the likes. Well not the actual effects, but it should be used in PK :P

There were more bad than good effects iirc, so it would be interesting when PKing. Imagine your opponent transforming into a leprechaun because you wanted his A/D to go down by 10 or so :(

Why not let it have the effect of damage ring and the likes. Well not the actual effects, but it should be used in PK :P

There were more bad than good effects iirc, so it would be interesting when PKing. Imagine your opponent transforming into a leprechaun because you wanted his A/D to go down by 10 or so :P

Why not let it have some use for adventurers/scouts/joker hunters/ contest makers/contest participants/roleplayers and leave poor pking with its problems w/o adding new ones? :(

eMPi

Well if you want to have "fun" there could be more "funny" effects:

1. reset your character.

2. put all your skills to 0

3. poison you with uncurable poison (that doesn't remove even with death)

4. clear your storage (convert items into ashes, for example :)

And to be sure that people use this ring (we dont want Entropy to waste his time for ring that nobody will use):

every day of gameplay you will lose 1 overall level if your forgot to use at least one funny ring :/

These would be the things that would make any smart person not use the ring.

No one, absolutely no one would use the rings with these effects.

I think this is a good idea, if good/bad effects are decently balanced and ring cost is ~200gc or so it would be great for some fun and messing around.

These would be the things that would make any smart person not use the ring.

No one, absolutely no one would use the rings with these effects.

I think there was sarcasm there :)

Thats makes sense then, we wouldn't want to make a real ring of WTF.

You click the ring, it disappears, and you feel somewhat strange.

The ring has made you reset.

[Player @ ***] OMG, WHAT THE F*CK!!!

I've seen a lot of "cool" ideas in this thread, but as stated by Entropy most (if not all) of them would require tons of effort on the part of the devs to actually implement. Personally, I'd rather have them working on more basic gameplay elements than implementing some off-the-wall cool idea.

That said, here's an idea for something that might be possible to implement without an inordinate amount of effort on the part of the devs:

Ring of Random Harvests: When used, for the duration of the current hour, all harvesting (regardless of what you're trying to harvest) produces one of the following:

Hydro ore

Feasting Potions

Gold Coins

Meat

Bones

Vegetables

Wood Branches

Then, to spice things up, some possible *effects* from the ring as well:

No Harvesting

No Harvest EXP gained

3X Harvest EXP gained

No Harvest EXP limit

All Harvest Events Bad

All Harvest Events Good

No Harvest Events

The exact list of items/effects would be something to debate, and of course the probabilities would be set so that the "Very Good" results are fairly rare (1% or so), and the majority of the events are in the "Mildly Bad" to "Mildly Good" range.

I know it's nowhere near as cool at the original "Ring of WTF?", but it *should* be relatively easy to implement (I'm basing this on assumptions regarding the server code, but I think they're reasonable assumptions).

This is why I suggest a poll. I've heard opinons for this idea and against it. If it turns out that more people vote against it, then there's no chance of it being implemtented. And even more people vote for it than against, I realize it still might end up ingame. All I'm asking is that, if most people like it, that the devs would seriously consider it and think about the people who would actually use it.

(And no, I'm just crazy by nature. None of that smeg for me, thank you!)

Problems with a poll:

1. People have posted things in this thread that are way beyond possible or want-able. As with most ideas in this section, the original idea has been stretched to extremes both ways and turned into a pointless mess. People's opinions will inevitably be colored by this.

2. People's opinions do not take into account the actual doability or not of an idea. As I've pointed out in other threads, a poll gives people a false sense of the importance of their opinions when the main factors would be if it's even possible!

Obviously nobody would want it if the things were as bad as resets or skills set to 0, or the like, no idea why people even would mention things like that.

*spawns 982e9999e9999e9999 giants that ignore mm ^_^ -imagine the pwnage

Yeah...and imagine the lag. :):)

Edited by ELVARG

The game already has an increasing pool of actions, events, and effects from using other rings, spells, and items, as well as from random occurances.

A ring of wonder could consist of a table of such effects, from which one is chosen at random (weighted as appropriate). This table would increase in size as the game develops, so the ring becomes a reflection of the scope of the game, rather than a fixed magic item.

Edited by trollson

could b the higher the lvl that makes it the more chanse of a good event to hapen when the ring is used and less chanse of a bad event

and if its a drop i could be in the middle or better for the harder the monster that droped it

Edited by thelethalmoo

could b the higher the lvl that makes it the more chanse of a good event to hapen when the ring is used and less chanse of a bad event

EL doesn't support items with individual properties.

Items with different properties have to be different item types, and cannot stack. So even if you had three varients (gooder, medium, bad) that appeared to be the same to the player (name, icon), they would form three separate stacks in inventories.

Its a shame, but it is an implementation limit we have to live with.