Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bathory

The Elven Tragedy

This is the story of how the elves of the Forest of the Fall were wiped out by goblins in 189 B.G.W. You may choose to implement this or not, but I just thought I’d add to the history of EL. :)

Also, if I have made any errors (historical, spelling, etc), please let me know. I don’t know if everything is as correct as it should be, so please bear with me. :)

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Elven Tragedy

Hundreds of years ago, though it was unknown to many, a small colony of Elves resided in the Forest of the Fall. Conveniently hidden away from the world in their secretive location, they were untouched by all the chaos and evil that had rampaged through the continent over the years, and managed to live for hundreds of years in prospering serenity. The elves of this region named themselves the Nakirii, which in their unique tongue meant ‘tree-carers’, for in the trees they dwelled and weaved their magic. It was above ground that they built their kingdom, a series of interconnected structures among the branches.

The Nakirii were closely related to the elves of the Forest of the Shadows (now known as Morcraven Marsh), the place where they had originally migrated from (around 3,000 B.G.W), and kept up a decent communication with their kinsman. They were true carers of the earth, tending for the plants and animals that lived in the Forest, and giving supernatural strength to the wildlife, which resulted in the tallest trees and plants that could been found anywhere. They lived a somewhat perfect harmonious existence with nature for many hundreds of years, and for this Aluwen rewarded the head elf of the colony the power of foresight.

This elf’s name was Torandril Sandorfin, and the reward could not have gone to a worthier candidate – he was the model of perfection when it came to caring for the earth. Since birth he believed the purpose of the Nakirii was to give back to mother nature what had been taken, and to restore life to the lands. His strong beliefs gathered a large following early in his life, which led to his ascension to Head Elf of the Nakirii. With guidance from Aluwen he shaped the Forest of the Fall into a peaceful paradise of immense beauty. Coupled with the gift of foresight with which he was the granted, he ensured his oasis was safe from danger by casting his vision outside the Forest to search for invaders. The Forest remained the safest place on the continent for hundreds of years, and with Torandril and his gift, many believed it always would be.

Not once was the elven kingdom threatened. So powerful was the beauty and pureness that emanated from it that evil could not be drawn to it.

Over the years the place became a haven for weary travellers. Mainly humans and other elves would take rest in the Nakirii’s Kingdom of the Pure (as it was called) during journeys, and it was a partner in trade with White Stone City. Whilst there, travllers could be safe with the knowledge that no harm could come unto them.

Yet, one fateful day, things changed in a way that not even the seer Torandril could have foreseen.

Mortos, brooding in his hellish doom, having previously overlooked this elven colony, was shocked to discover such a pure place in Seridia. Without a second thought, he mustered goblins deep from within the caves and tunnels of the earth, and marched them to the Forest of the Fall. Masked by Mortos’ evil power, Torandril could not see their advance.

And then it was too late – the army of goblins swiftly invaded, with only one order: to destroy everything they could see.

Unarmed and unaware, the Nakirii were slaughtered without warning. That is, with the exception of a small few, Torandril included. This lone group fought with all they could muster, and as powerful as they were against the goblins, they were too vastly outnumbered, and soon began to fall, one-by-one.

Soon only Torandril Sandorfin and his most loyal follower, Arduren Farnight remained, and in the spirit of the elves they did not give up the fight. With an almost godlike grace they cut through the ranks of goblins, and fought with the ferocity of those with nothing to lose.

But it was too much… the goblin warriors knocked them down, and claimed them as their captives.

Gagged and tied, Torandril watched as his kingdom was burned to the ground. The plants and animals disappeared in the flames, and the mighty trees Torandril had raised started to burn away as well. The elf looked on in despair at his lost kingdom, and how he had failed it. Everything he had worked so hard for was turning to ash, and there was nothing he could do.

As the goblins carried them away to their caves, the two elves wept for their people. It is said at this moment Aluwen took pity on them, and untied the bonds on Arduren. With that, he jumped from his captor’s grasp.

“Run, my loyal friend! Do not sacrifice your life for such a disgrace as me.†Torandril ordered through his gag. “Run until you get to White Stone City, and inform the people there what has happened!â€

Arduren hesitated, but could not leave his friend to be carried away by the goblins.

“Run, people must learn of this travesty!†Torandril yelled once more.

As the goblins closed in on Arduren, he ran, until he was just a speck in the distance.

Few remnants remain of the once great Kingdom of the Pure, and those are few and far to find. The goblin army destroyed all that made the Forest of the Fall wonderful. The once great trees still stand tall, but are thin and grey, ghosts of their former glory. None of the spectacular flora that had once blossomed exists anymore, and the exotic array of animals that wandered the Forest inhabit the place anymore.

The day the goblins invaded the Forest was a sad day for all, for such a beauty that had once lived there, lives no more…

:P

Edited by Badwog

A very interesting and very well written story. However, there are just two things i would like to note and will be willing to work with you on.

1.) Forest of the Fall wasn't always Forest of the Fall. No official names have been come up with yet. i choose to refer to it as Arbor Valley until a name was chosen. However Forest of the Fall is as good as any filler name we have at the moment before the plight came that made it as it currently is.

2.)Forest of the Fall (as it is currenly being called) was not a settlement of elves (though, i too eluded to the fact that it was inhabited by elves). It was other than elves (i wrote in humans, but i suppose that could be changed as well, depends on what the developers want). There are very few elven settlements on Seridia...namely Tirnwood and the once Tirnym.

Once these things get figured out, i will let you know. Other wise, i thoroughly enjoyed your story!

Thanks for the comments guys, and two very good points you have there Quinticus.

I'd certainly like to work through these errors with you as soon as sufficient information on this subject is found. :P

Will do, and I'll see what i can do with them (the concerns) as soon as i can. Also I would like to extend an invitation to you to join us on the storylines team. You seem to have at least a general understanding of the history of Draia and are willing to put forth the effort to research. We could use another writer/proofreader, as well as anything else you are willing to contribute to.

Let us know, we'd be happy to have you.

A bit offtopic but why don't you use the Forest's past to figure out a name for it?

Remember, it was the home to the Grand Palace of Tiral :D

I was thinking the same thing L_V infact I was coming up with a story that would solve both problems. However, if someone would like to take the job, I would be happy to oblige.

A bit offtopic but why don't you use the Forest's past to figure out a name for it?

Remember, it was the home to the Grand Palace of Tiral  :D

179092[/snapback]

It was home to the Grand Palace of Tiral if and only if Kayliana's Dragon stories get integrated into the main timeline. Currently, I had left them out because at that time she wasn't back yet. Now, I have no idea what to do with them.

-Lyn-

They are posted in the historical timelines thread (not that it means much) so i took them as going to be implemented. I can work with them, or not...makes me no difference. I think that it would be benefitial to everyone if we got off the fence post about it. Do you have an idea as to when kay will make another arrival? I do recall seeing something on the forums about her stating that we could use her stories as we saw fit (could be wrong). I also came across what she posted as she left last november, which asks for the stories to be removed.

If she is going to make a come back i would like to ask a few questions and run a few things by her.

Okay, this is a bit of a huge mess, but I actually compiled two previous timelines for EL's History, with fairly major changes to each version. You might want to read up on the threads where we used to collaborate to try and work things out, Quint. (Plus, it's an interesting tour of the history of the Storylines Forum) They are found in:

Trying to pull all the major stories together (1st version)

Storylines Discussions (2nd version)

Also, please note that Kayliana has more than one story on this forum... I just used her most famous one. The rest can be found in Storylines Status, Misc. category.

-Lyn-

Will do, and I'll see what i can do with them (the concerns) as soon as i can.  Also I would like to extend an invitation to you to join us on the storylines team.  You seem to have at least a general understanding of the history of Draia and are willing to put forth the effort to research.  We could use another writer/proofreader, as well as anything else you are willing to contribute to.

Let us know, we'd be happy to have you.

179085[/snapback]

I'm glad you ask, and I would certainly do it... but time is a factor. Currently, I can't get online as much as I would like (much less than alot of members).

Please let me know if this would be an issue.

Thanks. :)