Eternal Lands Official Forums
jakoblin

Harry Potter book come out in 7-16-05

wow, good to hear from ya, stranger!

personally, I coulda used a forum like this when all the Left Behind books came out... but that's altogether another subject.

181650[/snapback]

I'm still here, just being quiet most of the time. :P Some things just have to be commented on - and books are one of them *looks for a bookworm smilie in the new selection, doesn't see one, so decides to be a pirate instead* :)

this is why i play games, they provide visual excitement that stimulates the imagination. books are words to me.. i like the halo books because i have both games, and know what they are talking about.. alot less work.

179993[/snapback]

That's it. Books are harder work to get through than movies or games because you have to actively use your imagination to make the words become alive in you head; with movies and games everything is handed down to you from the start. But the thing is, with book your imagination is not limited by the imagery of others, you can make a book your own far more than you can make a movie your own. Plus, everything start with words, movies or games start with words, you d really miss something if you choose to skip this step altogether.

I'm reserving judgement on my opinion of the new dark tone the series appears to have taken, on the one hand this book is certainly not meant for children, but at the end of the book there was no let-up in the depression.

181243[/snapback]

I don't know if the HP books were never meant to be children-books, I for one don't know anyone under 14 reading them. On the other hand, I'm not sure darker, more mature subjects mean automatically that it's not for children, it's more about how the authors deals with those subjects. I love the HPverse for it's colorfulness and creativity but it's not the sort of books that I can say they changed my vision of the world, they are after all pretty cliched with no true meaningor depht. That's why I was sort of dissapointed by the HPB, as you said, she didn't add to the HPverse with more new inventions and characters, but focused instead on developping the existing characters and plot. But if I wanted to read about juvenile romances or suspense I would go for Tougeniev or Stevenson, not for Rowling.

I think the Potter hype is going to die with the next and last book, there is no way Rowling is going to live up to the expectation.

not very well written.spent too much time on the little things.rons and hermones row should hae been resolved sooner.shes a medocre writter

I don't know if the HP books were never meant to be children-books, I for one don't know anyone under 14 reading them. On the other hand, I'm not sure darker, more mature subjects mean automatically that it's not for children, it's more about how the authors deals with those subjects.

181978[/snapback]

My 8 yr old has got half way thru this new one, having read all the previous ones in the series, he doesnt seem to have a problem with the darker side though. But then he has been subjected to "the toothfairy incident" at an early age. (Btw this wasnt a book, it was an actual RL event, which he survived stoically)

:pinch:

harry potter is not a adult or teenager story.ive read adult fantasy(guy gaverial kay) and this is not of any art.it is poorely written ad has a mediocre storyline.i dug in some research and found out the story isnt even original but a copy of a book done a whilke ago. ive seen other ideas from writers in there as well (horcrux was an idea of leso varens soul by raymond feist) her books are not even worth metoning.i tell you ive read all of the books and dont look forward to them anymore shes lost her touch . the last books were plain aweful. she spent too much time on things like the choi and other little ideas that take away from the story

Thanks for the no holds barred review there, Sparhawk. Maybe if you spent as much time researching the dictionary too, you might not be making as many spelling mistakes :P

Only joshing with ya. However i like them, my kid likes them and my wife likes them. Aint read these other books so it makes no odds to me/us if the ideas are original or not. Besides, theres an old axiom that there IS no such thing as an original story any more....

*KLINK* ah lookit, my tuppence worth just ran out....

yeah i've heard they were poorly written too but that was from people I know getting thier masters in childrens literature not a guy who can't write a few lines without making mistakes on a forum -_- .

Besides who cares? they are fun to read and she has made so much money from them I'm sure she could care less about any reviews at this point.

:P

Besides who cares?  they are fun to read and she has made so much money from them I'm sure she could care less about any reviews at this point. 

It is a shame to see it getting worse though when, theoretically, as a writer she is getting more practice in. As I said before, I don't rate this book, I've read it through twice (yes, I read fast) and my overall opinion that it is readable, but not anything special.

However, if they get people (children or adults) into reading books, then that's all to the good.

ive read then till 5 and i can say that they are normal good....Lotr is much better offcourse :medieval: And finally the movies are getting darker Looks like teh N00B Harry Potter in movie 1 is totally changed..i hope he soon will work together with Voldemort(or although his brains) :P muahahahaaaaaaa I hope with much blood en explozing bodies in Part 7(16+) :D