Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

The actual CVS client

Ok, i played for 1-2 hours with the actual CVS client. Dont expect that i know all features atm, but i got some problems.

I was hosting a contest, so i was at a contest channel. Ppl trade with me, but those messages are local chat. Like all other messages too. So i was at the contest channel, but didnt see that someone wants to trade with me to get his prize.

So i would like to suggest, that all system messages, like trade, from god, #bc, mod chat and all the others, will be always displayed, no matter if i watch channel, local or guild.

Oh, and i would like to suggest to increase the zoom out a little bit. Not unlimited, but a little bit more. That would help a lot while moving/hunting/exploring.

Just my thoughts after using the CVS client.

Piper

I agree 100% with the chat, local chat needs to be global.

The zoom..I would only agree to if it does not show nasty parts of the map that you should not see. The maps have been created/made with the max zoom of the game in mind, so if it goes further most likely it won't look good.

Don't mean to revive old posts that may not mean a lot; But after seeing a 2-day-old version today, I'm not sure if it's newest, How about an 'All' button, and each chat type button having a check box on it? Only # command(#jc, #ci, #kick, etc.) and grue messages being global. The check boxes would allow you to hide/show differant forms simeltaniously(Local, channel('s? 1/57/3/randomnumber/guild?), Guild #gm(/channel?), and PM's.

#mod/new-player messages would be togglable, but I don't imagine it'd be the simplest thing to make a button only we can see. Make it a # command? Something short so it doesn't take much more time then clicking..)

My two cents on it..

Edited by Hazor

I downloaded the latest CVS yesterday and would be happy, if i could compile it....

The "All" buton is a good idea Hazor, so there's no need to toggle the console to see all messages.

And all messages should be global, including the yellow trade message, grue, spell failed, you cant use an item.... and such.

And Roja, local chat should not be global. So you can get rid of the chatter of other ppl at raven flooding your screen while you want to watch a channel.

Hazors idea with the checkbox rocks. So you can switch on and off local chat, channel and guild chat. Only system messages will be always displayed.

Oh, and i played a little bit with the zoom. The actual limit for zoom out is 3.75. Raising it to 4.50 lets sometimes ppl who are near one of the 4 corners of the screen suddenly disappear. That does not happen with a limit of 4.25, so i would like to suggest to increase the zoom out limit to 4.25.

My 2 cents,

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

local chat SHOULD be global by default so that newbies don't get too confused with the channel buttons at the top. We have to think in terms of stupid n00bs remember...Also, it would be a pain if we have to keep switichng back and forth from local to a chat channel if you are a mod.

PM's ABSOLUTELY MUST be global! There is no question here!!! I swear if you do not make pm's global I'll ban you from the game personally :P

Err... When the tabs thingy came to the CVS I suggested that the global messages (like haveessting events, trade notifications and so) where put into all the tabs, so you can be perfectly in pms w/o the local spamming your screen but still notice any important events that your wanted to be aware of.

It seems that, for now, it is a server thing and it is not easy to do it w/o any ugly patterns matching into the code (not so elegant and very unefficient thing). I dont know if this situation has changed since I first suggested it, so, if that is the case dont take this post on consideration.

About the pms... I disagree. To put the important events into local chat is not a good idea, because most time, local is the perfect candidate to be ignored. But to put pms sepparated as an option is perfectly usefull, since sometimes you are doing any other thing, and pms can hope (or because maybe you want to ignore anybody without the hassle of having to include it in a silly list). I havent looked into that options still, but I think that most of this stuff is into cvs and can be modified via .ini file to make pms appear in a tab or game-wide, same for guild and other stuff. If someone has looked deeper into this, please correct me. I have no time these days and I haven't played el for about 2 weeks, so I have no clue about the latest cvs mods. I just compiled it in about 5 mins yesterday (thanks that cal3d was ok in my nice linux system) and haven't even played still... I hope these weird exams go away soon :P

<edit>

About the local chat, yes, I think too that it should be defaulted to the "old" style. So every newbie can have all the info on his /her screen. When a newbie learn to know which is local, which is mods messsages, wich is channel, which is pm and which is gm then s/he is preppared to face the tabs system or whatever other thing that you want to add, but to start it is so complicated. Counting that there are people that speaks in local thinking that everybody hears them game-wide, or people talk in local and think they are talking in channel, and people that, you talk to them and they ask in the newbie channel instead of pm... I think that make the tabs default will only create bigger confussion.

Edited by m_bee

I agree 100% with the chat, local chat needs to be global.

The zoom..I would only agree to if it does not show nasty parts of the map that you should not see. The maps have been created/made with the max zoom of the game in mind, so if it goes further most likely it won't look good.

176521[/snapback]

lol roja nasty parts of map...what you mean? :/ maybe seeing all ppl in kf? but thats server-side thingy lol

i am sorry to say this but this suggestions imho absolutly sux, that will be too spammy :/

lol roja nasty parts of map...what you mean? :/ maybe seeing all ppl in kf? but thats server-side thingy lol

i am sorry to say this but this suggestions imho absolutly sux, that will be too spammy :/

177920[/snapback]

Nasty parts for her means accidentally seeing another room on an indoor map or seeing the edge of the map on an outdorr map. There are also areas that can be treated as if they are off the edge, even though they arent, because that area is blocked off and nothing has been placed there (look at the WS map, where the bay in the south is for example).

yeah, ok and then you tell me how we are to moderate this game if people ignore their pm's because they're in a chat channel instead of being in their pm channel. There is no other way. PM's MUST be global. THIS CANNOT EVEN BE ALLOWED TO BE AN OPTION. IT'S A MUST!!!

Your are right in that, I did not think of it. But you have to count that, being this a clien side option (and being the client open sources and that code already present on it) you cant control that any more.

If anybody wants to ignore the mod warnings, s/he can do it just modifying the client (nothing difficult), even more, there is no need for that, just put all the mods in your ignore list, it is not difficult. So, Roja, I think that you are right on that, but that is not a solution anyway.

I think that there should be somehtin in the style of the f5 pops that appears when a mod wans you. That is the best way to take people attention. Maybe the pm for moderation should be in another thread (meaning that they should be unique and identificable from the rest of pms, so the client can handle them in a different manner. That would avoid also the ignore list and other possible workarounds (of course, is never impossible to block that messages, but at least you should do the code for it wiht your own hands). Another possitive thing about that is that the mod id could remain hidden (i dont know if this is good or bad, really, just an idea).

As I said, again: I agree with you in the principle, but I think that that way is not the solution, since the workaround is easy if the "feature?" is not present, but being it present could make our lives easier sometimes.

Regards.

If anybody wants to ignore the mod warnings, s/he can do it just modifying the client (nothing difficult), even more, there is no need for that, just put all the mods in your ignore list, it is not difficult. So, Roja, I think that you are right on that, but that is not a solution anyway.

If they do that, then I would feel absolutely no pity in banning them. And trust me, I would do it, and tell other mods to do it as well. So..it's their risk.

Yes. But as you said before, we have to count with all the kind of people. The custom (and non aproved clients) are illegal, I know that. But we are talking about people that want to be annoying, so, it is a possibility that we have to consider, it is not nice, but it do exist. :)

Yes. But as you said before, we have to count with all the kind of people. The custom (and non aproved clients) are illegal, I know that. But we are talking about people that want to be annoying, so, it is a possibility that we have to consider, it is not nice, but it do exist. :)

177974[/snapback]

Always assume they will do something you dont want them to!

I have compiled cvs version,

And when I'm trying to run it, nothing is going on.

jacek@majcher:~/eternal-lands$ ./el.x86.linux.bin

jacek@majcher:~/eternal-lands$

No bugs, no info, no anything.

Why so?

Check ~/.elc/error_log.txt for possible errors. Also, right after the program ends, you can print it's exit value with

echo $?

If that's not 0, it has certainly encountered an error.

Yes, there is an error:

Log started at 2005-07-27 21:02:22

Couldn't initialize SDL: No available video device

It's strange because i have SDL.

Well, I could't handle them :hiya:

Lots of bugs in errlog

Log started at 2005-07-27 22:25:35

No mesh: ./meshes/shield1.cmf
No mesh: ./meshes/cape1_mediumf.cmf
No Anim: ./animations/horse_walk.caf
No mesh: ./meshes/unicorn1.cmf
No Anim: ./animations/canine_pain.caf
No mesh: ./meshes/chimeran2.cmf
No Anim: ./animations/canine_pain.caf
No mesh: ./meshes/chimeran3.cmf
Error: Can't open file "./textures/fontv.bmp"
Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp
Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle5.bmp"
Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle5.bmp
Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle6.bmp"
Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle6.bmp
Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle7.bmp"
Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle7.bmp

I've downloaded test_server client and put meshes/ animations/ and textures/ to main directory, then to /usr/local/games/el,

And nothing.

When I execure el binary, log screen appears and then I put my usr and password.

Then it crash and in errlog these bugs.

Any ideas?

Reen.

Do you have the # sign in front of data_dir in el.ini? Is el.ini found in $HOME/.elc/ or in the working directory of EL?

P.S. I would highly appreciate if mod messages could be separated from normal PM. But I wouldn't want anything to be forced to go into all views. The tabs are always highlighted when you receive a message, and if decided to have PM/mod messages in a separate tab and you don't react on the tab being highlighted, well, it's your fault. I don't see any reason for forcing people. Let's make sensible defaults and good option descriptions, players are responsible for their changes. We're a development team and no player nurses.

Edited by Lachesis