Eternal Lands Official Forums
Judgeman

How did you all first found EL

My fiancee loves computer games and MMORPGs, and he got hooked on one called Daimonin during our month off from school between semesters. I was always reading or playing The Sims while he was playing Daimonin on my computer, and I think he got sick of me saying "Honey, why don't you stop playing and we can go DO something? Quit playing that game! Sweetie.....please?" etc. He kept pestering me to try a game for a few days. I didn't like the violence in the once he was playing, so I googled for "Free MMORPG," found mmorpg.com, read through the descriptions of some, and found Eternal Lands.

I liked the graphics-instantly thought it was beautiful, and I thought "Ooh, hunting and gathering? That sounds peaceful and nonviolent. I shall try it." (He was THRILLED)

At first, since it was my first MMORPG, I was terribly confused. I got totally lost on IP and tried to find the wraith for three days (no joke). I ignored all the text on my screen (I was auto-joined to ch 1). I kept complaining to my fiancee that I couldn't make my dang character eat (raw meat), and he said "Honey, maybe it's raw for a reason...why don't you read the online guides first? It's usually a really good idea to do that when you start a new game." Then I found Ravenod's Guide (all hail Ravenod!)...

...and I have been addicted ever since. <_< Guess who begs me to stop playing games now? :P

Edited by Tanyia

PC Gamer, July 2003 issue, featuring City of Heroes...

pcg6kg.jpg

Had a tiny, 1-inch screenie of EL...this one to be exact:

Eternal%20Lands.gif

...in a section on "Other free MMORPGS", among about 30-40 others that I tried beforehand...and of course, the rest of this story is pretty obvious...

Ugh, back in december 2003 I was trying to find a new game - so I googled, and looked on freshmeat and behold - Eternal Lands... I started hacking a little with the client in january/february last year, but only did anything really usable last september. Been programming ever since :0)

During Autumn '04 I started playing my first mmorpg - Planeshift. I liked it - a lot. Then within a couple of weeks of playing it, it went through it's upgrade (from a very nice town where you chatted and collected crystals, to a proper game!).

Everyone was warned it would be off line for a week. Damn - I needed to feed my new found addiction for free mmorpg's with good graphics.

I googled, did some research. and found EL.

I was meant to be here for ONLY 1 WEEK while the Planeshift server was off line.

Help!

hehehe, fun to read all your stories guys :rolleyes:

Well I don't know if this will surprise you, and it's slightly off topic but...Entropy wanted to make a game, a mmorpg even. I thought he was crazy and can never do it, so I didn't really want to help him and model stupid things like houses..lol... I had just begun experimenting with 3D, and was making some cool characters from some books I love, and obviously I found that more interesting than making houses for a game that would never work--I thought you like needed a huge team of experienced people or something, boy was I wrong :angry:

But he conned me into making a few objects for him...ok ok I said, I'll maybe help him for 2hrs/day. He kept working at it, and about 3 months later he had a working map editor. I thought..cool! I can place the objects around here...he is getting somewhere afterall...."Ok ent, I'll work half a day at making some more objs for you, but I still want to make my stuff too so I won't help too much" ...hehe....well, we finally got to the point where we had some real working playable characters, was able to log onto his server and walk around together in a map...I was hooked after that! I coudln't believe that he had made it that far with the programming.

After that, I took it much more seriously, and I fell in love with making this game. It's my life's work if there is any :)

Entropy and Roja u did a great work with this game and i thank u both for everything u've been thru to make this game as good as it is! :P

I won't forgett all the other ppl that have helped you making this game better and better, YOU all created the best game ever.

And all the ppl hwo plays EL and love it i can only say thanks for making a great game better, all of u hwo plays EL makes it what it is.

There's alot of things i could say about what keeps me playing this game and why i love playing it but the number one reason is the ppl in it.

Enough said from me, see u all in-game! :)

hmmm... well this is my story

I was constantly playing D2 (Diablo 2) and finally just got plain SICK OF IT!!

so I google'd for Free MMORPG's and found this one site, I was reading some descriptions and looked at some screenies and found EL and it was beautiful :rolleyes: (yet I died just about instantly from rabbits)

so now I'll come play for random long periods of times, go to a different game (maybe pop in and out randomly) then finally get bored go back to EL and it'll be fun again yep soooo... there's my story

...and I fell in love with making this game...

176984[/snapback]

And that was around the time Ent and Roja ran into some "relationship issues" :rolleyes:;)

j/k j/k i joke i joke i kid i kid i am a mere elf...

Awesome game...pretty sweet story...don't lose that spirit :D

Oh...and thanks B)

[edit: "war" to "was]

Edited by Tumaros

hehehe, fun to read all your stories guys ;)

Well I don't know if this will surprise you, and it's slightly off topic but...Entropy wanted to make a game, a mmorpg even. I thought he was crazy and can never do it, so I didn't really want to help him and model stupid things like houses..lol... I had just begun experimenting with 3D, and was making some cool characters from some books I love, and obviously I found that more interesting than making houses for a game that would never work--I thought you like needed a huge team of experienced people or something, boy was I wrong  :D

But he conned me into making a few objects for him...ok ok I said, I'll maybe help him for 2hrs/day. He kept working at it, and about 3 months later he had a working map editor. I thought..cool! I can place the objects around here...he is getting somewhere afterall...."Ok ent, I'll work half a day at making some more objs for you, but I still want to make my stuff too so I won't help too much" ...hehe....well, we finally got to the point where we had some real working playable characters, was able to log onto his server and walk around together in a map...I was hooked after that! I coudln't believe that he had made it that far with the programming.

After that, I took it much more seriously, and I fell in love with making this game. It's my life's work if there is any B)

176984[/snapback]

:rolleyes:.

Well lets see. I believe I was looking for another MMORPG because I had just quit runescape because of 98% population of asshats, I went to google and typed in:

Free mmorpg -month -year Beta

I believe typing the word beta brought me here most likely, as all the mmorpg review sites rated el so low. (stupid idiots)

Oh, those of you who would like to hear entropy's side, go here, it is quite informative.

http://www.devmaster.net/articles/building-mmorpg/

Cant fidn the name entropy anywhere? here is his AKA:

About the Author

This article was written by Radu Privantu, lead programmer and project leader for Eternal Lands www.eternal-lands.com, a free, open source client MMORPG. I can be contacted at chaos_rift at yahoo dot com

I searched free MMORPG with google and i got to some page where was links to like 20 free MMORPGS and i decided to d/l el bc of its screenie :P

I've always loved playing MMORPG games. The very first one I played was called Yserbius on The Sierra Network in 1988. I was a beta tester there and was able to play for free for quite a few years. After a while the technology got old and boring. Then came Ultima Online, I read about it in a magazine, I think PC Gamer was the first to showcase it. This was before it's release and it promosed so much goodness that I signed up for a pre-registration account and was able to play the game the first day it went public. I played that for almost 4 years. In that time the game changed so much and became so run down and turned 180 that it was just nothing like the original and I stopped playing.

I switched to Linux as my home desktop in 2001 and started looking for some open source or free project games to play. I tried a lot of them, but they were all pretty shabby. A few years later I discovered EL, but couldn't get it working properly and put it to the side. About a month or so ago I was searching the ebuilds in Gentoo and saw that EL had reached 1.0 status so I decided now is the time to give it a try. Even though it is still marked unstable in the portage tree it was WELL worth the install. Now I'm part of a great guild and love playing the game.

I saw my brother playing it and wanted to try it out, so I did and I still play to this day.

Sooo starman who is your brother (character name...)

i used to play Call of the Warlords (for about 2 years)

but when the game crashed, and lost all my families that i spent alot of time and money building up (and the game admins didnt care) i decided to move on.

I went to MPOGD.com and did a search for similar (but free) games, and found EL.... i started to play it the same day...and almost every day since.

got bored and searched for a game, came across mpogd.com, found it there and liked it i guess

176593[/snapback]

same for me, i found it via mpogd to and loved it from the beginning

i was on onrpg.com and found it.. played it for about a week and quit. the text got in the way of things and the characters all looked the same. i got bored.. ill wait for another year or two when its not in beta anymore and is actually "playable". i should have listened when i read the comments and saw the ratings on onrpg.com (they gave it a 5 btw)

i originally found EL in october of '03 whilst surfing the net and clicking on random links....I DL'ed and installed it, but had to shut my comp off because a thunderstorm was raging. well, i didnt shut down fast enough and i fried my motherboard, powersupply, and my primary HD (my secondary HD was still usable). I bought a new computer around xmas '03, but couldnt remember the EL's name, so it just sat in the back of my mind (and on my 2ndary HD) end of feb '04 i finally got around to hooking that other HD up to my new comp...and the game was saved there!! i went and DLed the newest version (think it was .96) that was around march 13th 04...and i've loved the game ever since!!

I read an announcement on freshmeat.net. I downloaded the archive, installed, started and nothing happend, only a black screen popped up ;)

Some month later i gave it another try and, yay, it worked.

Piper

176634[/snapback]

I read the initial release announcement for it, started to download it, forgot... several months later, I read over my queued downloads, remembered, and and picked up the newest version and joined (September 8th 2003).

For me it was google. First day I spent trying to kill garg. Kinda lemming or so. Many times visited hell ;)

Edited by vanyel