Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chatterbug89

Scaming the Scamers

I was just wondering what people thought about scaming the scamers. In real life scamign someoen because they scamed you would be wrong...you would be just as bad as them...but once again, EL is only a game no matter how much you care to argue. So what do you guys think, scam the scamers or not? Would you be mad if someone scamed a scammer?

Oh well...I was just curiouse....

Scamming scammer makes you scammer too. Nothing to add, I'm against scamming at all.

vanyel

Along the same lines as Vanyel said, I have always heard that you do not try to lower yourself to the level of people you dislike. I mean, if you keep someone's deathbag because they stole yours, aren't you then a bagjumper as well?

Treat others as you would wish them to treat you.

LOL...

The trick is not to get scamed....comon sense is so valuable in this case senario :P

By the way, I also scamed a scamer...once. ;-) I was sick of peopel whining about him in channel one.

I agree with Chatterbug. EL is just a game. :)

When someone is scammed no real harm is done - unlike in real life. If someone wants to be a scammer they run the risk of being a known outlaw - all part of the variety of EL! And if you take precautions being scammed is unlikely. (Newbs obviously shouldn't be scammed)

Guest Ghandi
If you scammed a scammer you would become a scammer then someone would have to scam you and so on until EL is a game of scammers.

176132[/snapback]

Just like Runescape Classic! Ahh, the good old days when RSC was the ONLY runescape game...there were WAY less scamms and macro-ers. Also in RSC, hacking and hacking has basically become a skill. Its sad to say, but its SOO easy to get hacked. Talk to a nerd wrong, next day u got nothing :(. Its become soo bad that they should put hacking as a skill in which you can level up on, because thats what it basically is :(. And the amount of scammers got soo out of controll that i just stoped trading all together. Ohh well, im over that game, and now i just play EL, and haven't been hacked...so far :blink: .

Edited by Ghandi

lol this is a question on your personal moral beliefs...personally i have "scammed" a few scammers....but it is great fun to do....somebody trickin newbs deserves to get dooped themselves....so be it right or wrong i see myself as an undercover cop type deal....i recieve notice that so and so are scamming newbs i will play along like a victim and turn it around....personally i cant veiw that as scamming it is just teaching a lesson to those that trick others...

I scam scammers. Big deal. An idiot only realizes his/her actions when they receive it back. Consider 'scammer scammers' to be walking teachers. :P

I give the items away.. every last bit of them. Those items weren't mine to begin with and never will be, but they will benefit someone else who might need it. :ph34r:

Personally, I prefer to just ignore scammers (not #ignore, as I have no one ignored, but "I tune them out").

On one hand, I am not as wary of scammer-scammers, but really, if you scam anyone, regardless of whether they scam or not, aren't you a scammer (I know - I put this earlier, and so did other people).

Then again, I feel it's simpler, and more nerve-wracking for scammers, if you just don't give them opportunity, instead of trying to "match wit" and give them any kind of satisfaction.

Well...remember I said I scamed a scamer...after scaming him he ended up getting preasured into giving the guys stuff he scamed back...he diden't get his 1k gc back though...that wasen't the only guy he scamed. :P

SCAM THE SCAMMERS!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Chatterbug. EL is just a game.  :)

176306[/snapback]

Ah ha!, Ive seen this a lot... let me explain =)

Your interaction in an mmoRPG is from the perspective of YOUR charictor. Not from the perspective of say...a 14 year old kid who just got home from school, and is looking to spam a channel for 20 mins while they wait for there parents to get home.

So, If you were to speak to a Dwarf in game, You should expect the response to be as a dwarf, not as some guy from behind a pc pressing buttons, This aspect of mmoRPG's is severaly lost in EL currently with most people, Breeding a new line of Quake Players =)

From in game, its not "just a game" Its your charictors life and home.

If you were scamed in real life, Chances have it, you would seek to regain what you could from that person. My charictor on Zeplin would also seek to regain what was lost in the scam from the person also =). If that ment waiting 2 months, And setting them up to fall very hard, then so be it.

In real life, That would probably mean reporting some kind of fraud to the athorities =).

nah...I play el just to talk with frineds and do whatever I want. I'll admit, thinking of ways to scam people can be fairly fun (I used a realy lame trick on that one scamer though :S ...i'm extremealy surprised it worked). I don't think wha tyou do in a game reflects always what you do in real life.

Anyways, i'm too nice to begin with...I need some evil... I think the most evil thing I have done in el other than the scaming thing is putting fruits in bags and putting the bags all over the hellspawn exit and then haivng tiras (i think it was tiras) come...that was awkward :) LOL.

I don't think wha tyou do in a game reflects always what you do in real life.

178544[/snapback]

Of course, But thats why its role play =) I shouldnt have drawn the analogy from real life.

Personally, I prefer to just ignore scammers (not #ignore, as I have no one ignored, but "I tune them out").

On one hand, I am not as wary of scammer-scammers, but really, if you scam anyone, regardless of whether they scam or not, aren't you a scammer (I know - I put this earlier, and so did other people).

Then again, I feel it's simpler, and more nerve-wracking for scammers, if you just don't give them opportunity, instead of trying to "match wit" and give them any kind of satisfaction.

178119[/snapback]

i see what you are saying on the first 2 parts though i do not agree with your second part...there is a single HUGE defining factor....a scammer tricks people for personal gain....a "scammer of scammers" does not....

now on that 3rd part.....are you on some hardcore drugs????? matching wit has nothing to do with it....and ignoring a scammer does nothing as they would go find somebody more gullible....now...if you manage to fool a scammer they would most likely be far from saticfied......as a matter of fact i know that it wont....i still get some hate mail or posts on a forum (not this one) from a few that i have tricked....and also i have yet to hear of them scamming anymore (atleast under the known names....since i cant see IPs i dont know)

now just to be clear im not "attacking" you just trying to dish out some known facts

i see what you are saying on the first 2 parts though i do not agree with your second part...there is a single HUGE defining factor....a scammer tricks people for personal gain....a "scammer of scammers" does not....

now on that 3rd part.....are you on some hardcore drugs????? matching wit has nothing to do with it....and ignoring a scammer does nothing as they would go find somebody more gullible....now...if you manage to fool a scammer they would most likely be far from saticfied......as a matter of fact i know that it wont....i still get some hate mail or posts on a forum (not this one) from a few that i have tricked....and also i have yet to hear of them scamming anymore (atleast under the known names....since i cant see IPs i dont know)

now just to be clear im not "attacking" you just trying to dish out some known facts

178591[/snapback]

#2 - scamming scammers brings no personal gain? That's news to me.

#3 - Alright, I'll admit it does sound strange, but here's my explanation: One, to scam a scammer, you really need to be able to outwit him. They prey on people being unsuspecting, and you need to catch them in the same place. For the main part of it, there is a tactic that some battles are won in not fighting them. Very likely an unfamiliar tactic to many, but one I use.

I got it let make a map for all the scammers it will be an island just for them so they can scam each other sort of a jail. it would be there punishment. :D

i already made the map want to see! :) It will have only places to pick food and sleep!!!!

ONCE A SCAMMER ALWAYS A SCAMMER

...Lots of people trying to compare this to reality....

..in RL a scammer could maybe be arrested or punished in some manner...I have yet to see the EL police show up. Even Deputy Mod can not really do anything about you being ripped off. I will leave the scamming of the scammers to others more qualified than I and merely wish them well in their endvors to bring some punitive justice to these offenders!

:confused:

Storm