Eternal Lands Official Forums
nibynool

Bug in EL under WinXP Limited User account

I have several machines on which my Windows XP user account is set to "Limited User Account". I got the admin of these systems to install EL (XP Limited User Accounts don't have install privledges).

When I load EL it crashes! Is this something to do with the way the program is written, or it is a permissions problem on some of the files? The admin has tested EL under a non-limited account and it works fine.

Hope this information is of help in the creation of what is a brilliant game!

That'd be weird. Then an ordinary user cannot play any 3D game at all (then again, it *is windows :) ). It seems more likely that EL is trying to write log/error files in a directory for which you don't have write permissions.

It might be that the Limited User Account doesn't have write premissions to the file EL wants to write to? I've seen lots of games where that is an issue.

I have a complete EL on an USB stick, and I played from most windows variants with that one...might be worth a try.

Dont NT user accounts limit access to direct hardware rendering?

174638[/snapback]

Dont think that is an issue, in fact that is the big problem in Windows. If that was true then all the silly windows screensaver would crash as well as al the gl based programs.

It seems more likely that EL is trying to write log/error files in a directory for which you don't have write permissions.

174683[/snapback]

It might be that the Limited User Account doesn't have write premissions to the file EL wants to write to? I've seen lots of games where that is an issue.

174708[/snapback]

Yes, seems the like. Remember that users with limited priviledges are not allowed to write anything into c:\Program files\ by default. If I were you I would copy the el directory into your user account directory. Dont forget to edit the el.ini file to reflect the path change for that concrete copy of the client. I dont know if for windows there is such feature like the ~/.elc/el.ini under posix-like OSs, if that is present in anyway then it would be a matter of putting that file and the logs under your home dir. But I think that is not possible.

Dont think that is an issue, in fact that is the big problem in Windows. If that was true then all the silly windows screensaver would crash as well as al the gl based programs.

Yes, seems the like. Remember that users with limited priviledges are not allowed to write anything into c:\Program files\ by default. If I were you I would copy the el directory into your user account directory. Dont forget to edit the el.ini file to reflect the path change for that concrete copy of the client. I dont know if for windows there is such feature like the ~/.elc/el.ini under posix-like OSs, if that is present in anyway then it would be a matter of putting that file and the logs under your home dir. But I think that is not possible.

174832[/snapback]

Under WinXP, there is an Application Data folder for each user that is intended for programs to save there used specific data for programs to. But, that folder doesn't exists in earlier Windows so some intelligence should be added.

I have a complete EL on an USB stick, and I played from most windows variants with that one...might be worth a try.

174730[/snapback]

most usb drives use FAT/FAT32 -> no need to worry about file access premissions and such since only NTFS supports that so yeah a USB drive with EL might actualyl work him well...

~C

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll try running it from a different directory and see if that works.

It'd be great if (in a future release) EL used the "Application Data" directory associated with the user, as opposed to the "Program Files" directory if this is the issue.

Stay tuned for news on the outcome of my testing.

--------

Just tried moving the Eternal Lands folder to a variety of places including:

My "Application Data" Directory - not allowed to execute the program

My "My Documents" Directory - not allowed to execute the program

The root of C drive - not allowed to execute the program

The "Shared Documents" Directory - same error as previously, program loads by crashes

In all of these locations I was able to successfully run EL as a priveledged user.

So basically I'm still no wiser as to the cause of this issue or how to get around it, short of perhaps trying a custom compile of the program :(

Edited by nibynool