Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kl4Uz

The messenger bots

The messenger bots seem to be something semi-official and many guilds are using them.

I suggest to replace them with a hardcoded gamefeature to reduce the server traffic caused by the bots that are logged in all around the time and occupy player slots. I know we don't have that many active players atm, but the server often lags. If we could reduce some of the bots that would be good.

Since the guildsystem needs to be reworked anyways, I think this is a good point to add something similar to the messengerbots as a guild feature.

with regards,

kl4Uz

The messenger bots seem to be something semi-official and many guilds are using them.

I suggest to replace them with a hardcoded gamefeature to reduce the server traffic caused by the bots that are logged in all around the time and occupy player slots. I know we don't have that many active players atm, but the server often lags. If we could reduce some of the bots that would be good.

Since the guildsystem needs to be reworked anyways, I think this is a good point to add something similar to the messengerbots as a guild feature.

with regards,

kl4Uz

172908[/snapback]

Those bots have insignificant effect on the server, it's no where close to any network or cpu limiting. If you are noticing lags sometimes, it is probably related to the network path between you and the server or your system itself.

I also think it would be a good idea as an in game feature. I'm not a programmer though so i dont know if it'd be worth it. But since every guild uses one practically..why not?

I also think it would be a good idea as an in game feature. I'm not a programmer though so i dont know if it'd be worth it. But since every guild uses one practically..why not?

172927[/snapback]

I do agree that it would be good as an ingame feature, I was more concerned that he thought it caused lag.

Why not - the code is already in place with the bots, and it is far easier for the bots to screen a person or guild than it is to chase a dev down to amend the code server side, and then have the server restarted.

The same type of problems occur when a new guild is recreated, it takes hardly any time at all to add the new bots to the existing _messengers, and I know the code as well as the_antiroot does, so if he ever got too busy I could (with his explicit permission) add the new data and restart them.

<which reminds me, I need to fix Nelson :D>

LRNR, i didn't say the messenger bots cause the lag :D Me and others notice heavy lags a few times a day, at the SAME time, while we live in different parts of the world. You can notice that in the market channel sometimes, suddenly everyone screams "laaaag", I don't think it's the network path between me and the french server (of course sometimes it is, but only for me)

My conclusion was to reduce server traffic where it's imho unnecessary and possible to reduce :blink:

I'm sure you could ask anti to fix up the programming so its from guild to guild rather than from guild to bot to bot to guild. It would be a great feature to have as long as there is a way to block other guilds form communicating :D

Personally I believe moving interguild messaging into the server would be a great move.

At the moment they have suffered from power cuts, and my isp's increasing temprementality.

Given theyve broken the 60 guild mark, their event loop is getting dangerously long, and I have to look at learning multithreading to rewrite them (that will be version 3)

High latency in particular causes a problem to them.

My coding skills are much lesser than any dev on the team, but I will happily provide my source to the team and help making this a server side feature any way I can if this path is chosen.

Failing that, if anyoue can give me a little space on a colo server then it will aliviate most of the current concerns with them. (they use negligable bandwidth).

I am totaly for using this as a server-side feature. Why not? It gives guild a great way of communicating (modertaion is not really a problem, server-side could be used if so). It makes so much sense to do this.

Otherwise, if this wont be implemented, I may have server space soon.

Well if they carnt become server side, Hows about adding a network API so we can connect our own bots to the system, So we can take some of the load away from anti?

Possibly make it like a switch style relay. Have a primary and secondaru hub, Were all the bots who want access to it can connect etc.

Edited by Zep

I don't wamt to implement that in the server for the time being, because that would eman we'd have to deal with extra abuse reports (interguild messages) and we are already busy as we are with this kind of shit.

We could always have an ignore option for a certain guild for people with level 10 and up in the guild

We could always have an ignore option for a certain guild for people with level 10 and up in the guild

174466[/snapback]

I like that idea but think it needs to be higher than rank 10...more like 18 up

I think the ranks need mroe use. Besides, this isn't an option that effects much and lower leveled guild members wouldn't have to deal with spam.

Oh you mean each person would individually ignore the guild messengers? I was thinking you meant one command for the entire guild.

But I would rather have the ability to ignore just specific guilds than an all or nothing ignore command.

Oh you mean each person would individually ignore the guild messengers?  I was thinking you meant one command for the entire guild.

But I would rather have the ability to ignore just specific guilds than an all or nothing ignore command.

174537[/snapback]

Actually I think he was saying, if there's no high ranked member online and a guild get's spammed, guildies with a lower rank could set an ignore option for the messengers aswell, for the whole guild.