Eternal Lands Official Forums
JohnnyWrath

RESET get rid of it

Could the reset option possibly be more abused?

Please remove it from the game. People reset at high A/D then start over getting tons of XPs from low level creatures with high A/D and low P/C...we all know it goes on, and it's a loophole being abused.........how many top 50 have reset?

Also, it's a beta, so many changes have occured, please consider getting it into peoples minds that everyone will restart at 0 again......I hope this will happen, and the reset option will be removed.

In case you don't know, it is passed around word of mouth in many guilds and around EL that reset is the way to go......this is a real problem because it's true. I don't know why this function exists, but please remove it.

When we switch over to the new stuff, please just restart everyone at 0. too many changes have occurred not to I think.

If the game would make more monsters for evry a/d level .. people dont have to reset!

when you start the game, you don't know where put your pp, and some negative perks like mm perk can be good at low level but handicap at high level, that's why reset exist

when you start the game, you don't know where put your pp, and some negative perks like mm perk can be good at low level but handicap at high level, that's why reset exist

169677[/snapback]

I personally don't like the reset option, but I understand that it can help new players who may make mistakes early on.

So, allow reset only upto some overall level; high enough that players should by then know what they are doing, but low enough so that it doesn't work as an exploit. Between level 10 and 20?

It may be useful to allow negative perks (perks which cost negative pick points) to be bought-off, for more points than they originally gave; say +1 point. Similarly, positive perks (for example Monster Magnetism) could be discarded for a small cost (1 pick point).

I personally don't like the reset option, but I understand that it can help new players who may make mistakes early on.

So, allow reset only upto some overall level; high enough that players should by then know what they are doing, but low enough so that it doesn't work as an exploit.  Between level 10 and 20?

It may be useful to allow negative perks (perks which cost negative pick points) to be bought-off, for more points than they originally gave; say +1 point.  Similarly, positive perks (for example Monster Magnetism) could be discarded for a small cost (1 pick point).

169680[/snapback]

If you reset with a higher OA, you lose more EXP. It is fair.. -_-

Could the reset option possibly be more abused?

Please remove it from the game. People reset at high A/D then start over getting tons of XPs from low level creatures with high A/D and low P/C...we all know it goes on, and it's a loophole being abused.........how many top 50 have reset?

169668[/snapback]

But why is it a problem? It's their experience. Why do you care?

If you reset with a higher OA, you lose more EXP. It is fair.. -_-

169683[/snapback]

Measuring purely in experience points is misleading -- you don't lost your skill levels, so reset has limited effect on experience point gain (attribute levels aside for the moment).

A better, though not perfect, analysis is to consider what your OA level would have been without reset, when you reach your pre-reset level. This "level loss" is surprisingly constance at 10 levels lost for OA in the range 40-80 (loss is less below, slightly more above). (Ref: Fred Penner EL pages)

Attribute loss has mixed effects, mostly benfiting fighter types (counter argument?), but with high-level experience gaining still intact you will cover the first dozen levels in an hour in the titanium mine.

Yeah lossing you OA level isn't a big deal if you gain twice as much exp, or even more than that, maybe it you reset you also loss 5-10% of all your other skills to, that way people would thing :blink:

If you think that loosin 80 levels oa is nothing I hope to see you doing it, and testing how easy is to get those 16000000+ points back.

I did it and it's really not big fun and I can't say I enjoyed that time. Think twice, or even more.

With regards

vanyel

Yeah lossing you OA level isn't a big deal if you gain twice as much exp, or even more than that, maybe it you reset you also loss 5-10% of all your other skills to, that way people would thing :P

169719[/snapback]

I like that. you're losing life experiences anyway, why would your skills be untouched?

books, on the other hand, I think should be left alone. I'm taking the fact that they dissapear after reading as that they become part of your personal library, so you can refer to them when needed. so you still have all the knowledge at your fingertips (plus, if it's random, what if you take out somethign that's a prerequisite? or take gen axe from one person and crystal tech from another?)

but this could be set so it only happens after OA 8, so the newbies can play with #reset, etc... I've heard of newbies getting like 8 human nexus because they're told "more is better" without being told that they only need a maximum of 3 for any of the items they'll be using for a looong time(tit long,serp,chain, plate items, and a few axen are all that requires higher... what newbie should even be considering these items? none. so why are they being given the impression they should get a lot of human nexus?)

I like that. you're losing life experiences anyway, why would your skills be untouched? {If you want to 'touch' skill you have to 'touch' book knowledge as well - vanyel}

books, on the other hand, I think should be left alone. I'm taking the fact that they dissapear after reading as that they become part of your personal library, so you can refer to them when needed. so you still have all the knowledge at your fingertips (plus, if it's random, what if you take out somethign that's a prerequisite? or take gen axe from one person and crystal tech from another?)

Hmmm.... logic would be then forcing players to spend time reading them again - well, you have the book in your library, but you have 'forgotten' everything. Nah, stupid idea. Can't agree for that - never.

With best regards

vanyel

Edited by vanyel

If you think that loosin 80 levels oa is nothing I hope to see you doing it, and testing how easy is to get those 16000000+ points back.

I did it and it's really not big fun and I can't say I enjoyed that time. Think twice, or even more.

169724[/snapback]

It'd take a long time. but also a lot less than the first time. and if you spend your PP wisely the second time, you may only need to get to 60 or 70 to get the same benefits as before

Hmmm.... logic would be then forcing players to spend time reading them again - well, you have the book in your library, but you have 'forgotten' everything. Nah, stupid idea. Can't agree for that - never.

169728[/snapback]

hmm... losing the knowledge and having the book(s) return to inv/storage could work... but then... they may decide they don't want the knowledge anymore and sell the book...

but quite possibly a good part of the dangers of a #reset (wanna read that book with 25k pages again? now that your rationality is 4 again? :P )

Edited by ttlanhil

Yah, yah, it's always easy to speak about something you haven't experienced. It's really not so easy to recover your levels. I'm one month after reset and I'm only on level 54 (or 56?). And the best fun is still waiting for me.

I will stay with contemporary system of reset. It's working and it's working good. You have to remember that some people are reseting not to make their p/c lower, but to get rid of some negative/positive perks they were told are awsome, but appeared to be useless/not worth pps they costed/gave.

with regards

vanyel

well you would notice the neg perks by about the time you get to level 30 or 40 at the last which is easy to get back(well not easy but not rlly to hard) so they would reest and loss a little bit of the other skill which wouldn't be to bad, whereas people who reset at higher levels to gain exp quicker would get affected alot by lossing some exp from there other skills to.

Also we cant just make it so reset is bad for fighters who abuse it to get quick exp, we have to make it for everyone else that abuses it to read book quicker to, so all knowgle should go to. If you think about it by the time you relise the neg perks is really bad you haven't really read that many books, so this want bother people that way

I like that. you're losing life experiences anyway, why would your skills be untouched?

169726[/snapback]

Simple. I think you can compare resetting to losing your body (attributes, levels)and keeping your mind (also knowledge and experience).

When you reset don't you lose those 3 or 5 pp you get at creation? If your character ever got to like +100 oa I think those extra pp are pretty important. Especially for serious pk'ers. I think that makes reset pretty balanced.

If you want to stop people from resetting because they are getting low a/d experience, then they should just change it so that each monster gives a certain amount a/d experience no matter how long you fight it. This would also make weapons actually USEFULL outside of pk maps. And the more you use them, the bigger the chance they have to break, which means people would have to buy more of them and put more money into the economy.

When you reset don't you lose those 3 or 5 pp you get at creation? If your character ever got to like +100 oa I think those extra pp are pretty important. Especially for serious pk'ers. I think that makes reset pretty balanced.

169919[/snapback]

Yes, you will loose those intital 5 PPs.

The #reset command is useful for players who made the wrong choices at some point in time. And I think it's a good option (not a very attractive one, but still...)

I woundn't get of the reset feature, but I would really implent it to really "reset" you character, which includes experience and readings. It is so easy to take tons of negative perks, read all books in the world while you harvest to pay them and then reset your character.

My opinion. If this is not accomplished even I will take three or four new characters and do that. :D

People, if reset would mean loosing all skills, book knowledge what would be difference between reset and sequence like that:

#killme

#killme

create new character with the same name

ha? I will answer - no diference. In that situation I don't see any sense in keeping #reset function at all.

Now imagine other situtation: you're high-level player (high=80s+) and devs just have another 'great' idea and created nexus required to cast spells, let's call it arcanum nexus - you will say wow, great idea, we always dreamt about it. And then you will think that to cast simple restoration (magic level 21) you need arcanum nexus at 3. It's not your fault, but you need about 3000000 xp to get it, and it's not easy for anybody, even with really high skills. You could say 'Ha! I will reset, it would be easier and I will lead my character differently'. Thinking about it you wrote #reset #reset and you woke up with nice and absolutely clean character. And now, do you still think reset should clean all your knowledge? Be sure that the situation above is not so impossible - EL is still being developing (and there are people with levels at 110+ - I could imagine donpedro's first tousand words after such change - just before he would stopping playig EL and starting 'R'game).

I really like Mireille's explanation!

regards

vanyel

It makes sense since in a game like this a name and a reputation is a important thing. Some people would like to reset, but keep the character and the name. :P

169919[/snapback]

Those five pickpoints at creation come from you having 3/3 a/d. The experience from those two combined gives you the 5 OA.

When you reset, you don't lose those 5 OAs. You just have to regain something around 500-600 exp to get those back.