Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
crannog

The Rules

i was under the impression that the latest rules, listed in this forum - were the current rules:

Eternal Lands Game Rules.

General

1. Use Appropriate language.

Do not use language which is sexually explicit, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise offensive.This includes both clear and implied language, images, or links to websites with such content. This includes purposeful variances upon the spelling of such content for the purpose of bypassing the filters.

2. No Harassment.

Harassment is not limited to the type of language used; it encompasses the intent. This includes both clear and implied language or actions that are systematically and/or continually unwanted and annoying. This further includes the distribution, release or discussion of any real-life, personal, or private information about other players, moderators or volunteers of Eternal Lands. Repeatedly targeting a specific player or persons with harassment will result in severe consequences.

3. Respect Others.

You must respect the rights of others and their rights to enjoy this game.

In order to show proper respect, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, insult, name call, or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other members, moderators, volunteers, or developers.

Do not advocate, start or participate in any discussions that are racist, sexist, anti-religious, anti-ethnic, anti-gay or other hatemongering philosophies, or anything that is sexually explicit in public. Do not organize nor be a part of any guilds or groups within Eternal Lands or their forums that do so.

Do not patronize, mislead, or take advantage of people as they become acquainted with the environment and make beginner's mistakes.

4. Do Not Give Out Your Password.

Once you give your password out to anyone, even for the purpose of character sharing, you relinquish all rights to that character. Eternal Lands is not responsible for the return of your character or account, or for the actions of your character once you have disclosed your password.

5. Do not cheat.

Cheating in the game means AFK* fighting, AFK leveling in any skill, AFK harvesting, illegal bots, creating illegal clients, macroing, automating, exploiting bugs, muling.

To use a bot, it must be registered and approved; it must adhere to the rules of the client's lisence and all your code open source. If you find a bug in the game, you must tell the owners of Eternal Lands immediately.

*AFK = Away From Keyboard.

6. Use Appropriate Names.

Please do not create a name that is obscene, vulgar, profane, offensive, contains more than 3 numbers, is utterly senseless and stupid(e.g. dfjritq47fa), or is made with the intent of impersonation.

Take into consideration that the name you choose does affect the atmosphere of the game. Inappropriate names can and will be locked no matter how much time you have spent in the game.

7. No Impersonations.

Do not impersonate any Eternal Lands owners, developers, moderators, players, bots, npc's, or guild. This includes creating similar variances upon names in order to deceive, misrepresent or post false information to others. Also do not pretend to be a bot.

8. No Character Creation Spamming.

Do not attempt to spam character creation by creating numerous characters with similar names (i.e. Player1, Player2, Player3…) or by creating numerous characters in a short period of time.

9. No Linking To Inappropriate Websites.

Do not post URLs to sexually explicit, obscene, or vulgar sites. These would be considered "X rated". If the site contains questionable material, something that would be considered "R rated", then you must give a warning before posting it. Do not post or discuss links to cheats, illegal clients, hacks, or malicious viruses or programs, or any sites that would themselves be illegal or promote illegal activites.

10. Sell And Trade At Your Own Risk.

Eternal Lands will not be held responsible for any transactions dealing with real monetary currency/items or in game money/items. No selling of character accounts or guilds is to be made in any in game public chat or channels. You take full responsibilty for your actions and their consequences. Eternal Lands will assume none of that responsibility.

11. Stay On Topic In Named Channels.

Conversations may stray a little from the general purpose of the channel, but should not do so to the extent that such conversations derail the purpose of the channel. Such limitations and extents are at the discretion of the moderator in the channel.

12. No Improper Advertising.

Do not market, promote, advertise or solicit within the Eternal Lands any non-Eternal Lands related businesses, organizations or websites.

13. No Spamming.

Spamming is excessively communicating the same post, phrase, similar phrases, or posting purposefully irrelevant messages.

14. No Bag Spamming.

Do not drop large numbers of bags for any purpose as this may lead to the bags of others to disappear and cause people to lose the items they’ve temporarily placed at their feet.

15. No Summoning Near Populated Areas.

Do not attempt to summon or bring your previously summoned creatures with you near populated areas (i.e. storages, Wraith, “beamâ€). In addition do not summon high level monsters (i.e. Fluffy) on Isla Prima.

16. Do Not Block Resources.

Resources include, but are not limited to, ships, doors, bridges, and archways. If you are asked to move, please let people pass.

17. No Hacking.

Do not attempt to interfere with or hack into any transmissions to or from the servers. Do not attempt to hack into someone else's account or convince them to give you or others their passwords.

18. No Exploiting Bugs.

Do not exploit any bug in Eternal Lands and do not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting. This information should be immediately communicated to the Eternal Lands' owners privately.

19. No Illegal Clients.

When modifying the Eternal Lands client you must abide to the license given, and may not distribute copies of illegally made clients. All patches or unofficial clients must first be approved by an Eternal Lands owner (namely Entropy) before use.

20. No Macroing or Automation.

Do not use illegal automated programs, scripts or computers. The use of any illegal automated program or system, devices, computers or scripts will result in an immediate ban from the game.

21. Bots must be declared.

To use a bot in Eternal Lands, the bot must be registered, approved, and obey the rules. You can register your bot and read the rules here: http://el.tfm.ro/bots/

If you do not declare your bot it may be banned from the game.

22. Obey Contest Rules.

The moderators may create and enforce rules and consequences for contests and other events, which you agree to abide and be bound by through the act of participating and/or attending.

23. No Skirting Punishments.

Do not attempt to create additional accounts if you have been banned or suspended. Seeking loopholes to any punishment can result in permanent bans from both the Eternal Lands Forums and game.

24. Don’t be a troublemaker.

Don't cause problems on purpose that require the attentions of the moderators.

Moderation

25. Moderation is never a topic for public discussion.

Issues and questions regarding in game policies and procedures should be addressed to the game administrators (namely Roja or Entropy) or the specific moderator via private message. Issues and problems concerning other game moderators should also be addressed privately with Entropy or Roja. All private messages will remain classified unless otherwise agreed upon.

All rules here may be subject to change or addition at any given time.

The moderators of Eternal Lands have the authority to use their discretion on a case by case basis in/while moderating these forums and punishments for violating any of these rules.

Repeatedly violating any area of the Eternal Lands Terms of Use or Forum Code of Conduct, including the areas detailed above, will often result in permanent banishment from the forums and game.

Breaking these rules or the spirit of the rules (not just the letter of the law) is punishable. Usually there will be given a warning first. This does not apply for repeat offenders or severe offenses that require immediate action. If this warning does not work and the infraction continues, players can be muted, kicked, booted, even banned (in no specific order) depending on the crime, the severity of the crime and the judgment of any of the moderators. The higher the level a mod is that has to deal with you, the higher your punishment can be.

also...these are quite different to the ones viewed In-Game with F5.

also the rule about "same IP" was removed, now it says not to mule under the "no cheating" heading. This however has problems. It was my understanding that this was not the case if both chars were properly leveled (not just a mule) because time had been spent building that character.

Also it does not take into consideration that other things can be done, like 2 chars from 1 IP fighting someone.

Perhaps some clarification on what are the rules for ppl from 1 IP address are.

This will stop the mods booting ppl, when the player has no idea that he/she is breaking any rules.

Good point Crannog. That particular issue is being looked at.

Basically: No muling means that you shouldn't create a character for the sole purpose of carrying stuff for you that you find inconvenient to do yourself.

Regarding the multi attack thing... you will get an answer soon :huh:

One problem is that as the rules keep getting clarified we also have to deal with people that are pushing the envelope on purpose just to cause troubles or see how far then they can go to get people to react, and then will often cry mod abuse are say they what they did wasn't against the rules. In my personal opinion (not a rule), the rules do need to be taken as guidelines be everyone, mods and players, and players shouldn't try to squirm out by trying to skirt the issue based on the letter of the law.

and i agree learner...but there should also but SOME rule governing what can/cant happen from one IP address...

at the moment there is nothing

IMO, there should also be public guildlines for mods to follow as to what punishments are given for breaking certain rules. Then no one can cry "mod abuse".

IMO, there should also be public guildlines for mods to follow as to what punishments are given for breaking certain rules.  Then no one can cry "mod abuse".

169445[/snapback]

The problem with this and adding more rules and clarification is that there are the trouble makers who will do everything they can to cause problems. Moderator discretions is required and calls of mod abuse should not be posted or discussed.

There is an appeal system in place with Roja and Entropy to help ensure fairness. Without enough freedom on the mods to make decisions if something should be permitted or not, you'll end up without any mods and RS!

i think you missunderstand what i am asking...

guidelines is what i want...not hard and fast rules - because without them, the PLAYERS will be booted, and they wont know why..

(which happened recently - its no use booting everyone, then have them appeal, its better NOT to have them booted in the first place by having the guidelinds)

If there is any vagueness in a rule, there will be people abusing it. If there is any vagueness in a guidline for punishment, there will be mods abusing it. That is a guarantee.

I say that keeping things specific is the best way. And if someone finds a clever way around your rule, change it or add to it.

I know you don't agree with this, but that's how laws are made in the US (and probably why there are so many of them).

No matter what you do, you'll get cut, both players and mods.

Look at the posts about why someone was muted one time and someone else wasn't. Or people posting about mod abuse when it was obvious from their own posts that they were trying to cause trouble top begin with!

I think we can agree that the people who are purposely pushing the envelope for the very purpose of getiing punished are a problem, and just having rules is too much for them.

However, for those of us who respect the rules, knowing what we need to respect is a good thing. We already know we're allowed to have multiple chars. We also know they aren't supposed to help each other, but as to how far they "can't help each other", that's vague. We know they can't "mule". Maybe we can sit down and figure out if any interaction is allowed, and how far that interaction can go, and then writing it down?

I'm not currently playing two characters, but the main rule everyone here is interested in seems to be playing from the same IP and the restrictions regarding that. I'd like some clarification on that myself, because I'd like to have another character in the future =D

I personally don't support making the rules extremely strict. If someone is going to go to all the trouble of re-reading rules and finding an excuse to get out of them, they're going to keep doing it no matter how specific the rule is. Even if there's no way around accepting responsibility, they're still going to argue. I trust the mods with their decisions regarding these type of people--since the problem isn't the rules, it's the attitude towards the rules.

We don't need to make our rules as strict and tight as the US law or anything. =S It's a game and it's for fun, there's going to be some rule breakers no matter what you do. If we focus too much on the rules, we might wind up accidentally punishing everyone ^_^

Edited by Lady_Eika

I don't want the rules to be strict. but in some cases they could be better defined, even with only examples. the multi-char interaction is a good one here.

I mean, if you help a lot of people on one char, then start a new one and have people help you on that because they know the player has helped them before... that's help from another character you made even if the two are never on at the same time.

or for a more direct example, what about having two chars (in the same guild) helping with guild activities? even without being on the same map, they could be gaining from it.

I think it should be adjusted a bit to any direct interaction (such as trading, healing, etc) even through a proxy (such as giving stuff to a friend on one char, getting it back with the other)

anything indirect can then be allowed, leaving only the more problematic issues to be moderated

that said; I'm pretty happy with most of the rules, and haven't had many problems with mods.

Most of the time, the spirit of the rules is good enough, people generally know what the rules are meant to cover