Eternal Lands Official Forums
_A_

New update Problems & Flaws

Well, I've discussed this with some people and I thought it was flawed to begin with and now I'm getting more sure.

Firstly, Economy. Or lack thereof rather, this makes EVERY high level fighter rich since the rare monster drops sell for a lot of gold to the book store person, fighters become rich, everyone else goes flat broke.

Secondly, a lot of players aren't going to want to play because of this, and not many new players are going to stick with the game because the knowledges they need to get resources for alchemy, manufacturing, and every skill besides harvesting are too expensive for them to buy.

And err, oh yeah!The new players/people without monster magnetism or high defence can't get to said book sellers and thus can't level any skills, except very slowly.

My 2 cents..

_A_

There is always getting the book through community and friends, that enhances the RPG angle. It can sometimes be a good thing to not always be able to do everything yourself.

The book prices are high. I'm not sure if they're going to permanently remain this high or not.

I like the update, though. I agree with what Learner said about them having to try to work with other people to aquire the books. I think the teamwork aspect of it is really neat ^_^

Also, books were way to easy to get as it was. This way, people that are researching advanced alchemy and how to make weapons have to actually risk something to go get the books that will aid them in their crafts.

Or actually, once you have enough money to buy the books now, most people will have a MM cape at least.

Everyone else won't go flat broke if they know what they're doing, either. It's gonna be hard to get up the GC for those first few books, but the fact that making things is going to be harder now should create a better specialty system. That way, alchemists will get more money for what they make because it'll slowly become rarer. Same with manufacturers and such. If there's less people coming into the market selling things because of it being harder to get books, then there's gonna be more freedom for people to set prices where they won't sell at losses. It might take a while to see this come into being, but it should *eventually* happen.

Anyways, that's my one cents =3 With the players now taking a more active role in the way they want the economy and game and the EL team listening and trying to help, I'm confident that everything will work out for the better. :D

Edited by Lady_Eika

1. Locations: I don't see anything wrong with locations of book sellers, actually, I agree with Learner here.

2. Prices:

Eh! Prices are messed. As some of you probably know I'm sitting most of the time on newbie channel and it seems some of new players have just resigned of playing Eternal Lands, because of new book prices. New prices will not affect old players, most of them have read all books they needed or just can earn any amount of money when they need, but newbies are being killed with that.

I don't think this side effect was planned, but it happened. I have heard also some voices of average experienced players about leaving EL!

I know that the new prices are one of the means to take out some money out of market, but I don't think it was really good idea. Good idea would be discuss the new prices with community (opinion is obvious) and find a consensus - the point where the prices will not be so ridiculous.

Regards

vanyel

Well, I've discussed this with some people and I thought it was flawed to begin with and now I'm getting more sure.

Firstly, Economy. Or lack thereof rather, this makes EVERY high level fighter rich since the rare monster drops sell for a lot of gold to the book store person, fighters become rich, everyone else goes flat broke.

169192[/snapback]

lol man dont know what game your playing but i and many fighters are far from rich =P

Edited by GreenGanjaKing

lol man dont know what game your playing but i and many fighters are far from rich =P

169323[/snapback]

Heh, I heard that discussion somewhere else, so maybe just stay on 'book topic' here?

And so true, fighters are not very rich, just not poor:P

Secondly, a lot of players aren't going to want to play because of this, and not many new players are going to stick with the game because the knowledges they need to get resources for alchemy, manufacturing, and every skill besides harvesting are too expensive for them to buy.

And err, oh yeah!The new players/people without monster magnetism or high defence can't get to said book sellers and thus can't level any skills, except very slowly.

My 2 cents..

_A_

169192[/snapback]

and who are you? :rolleyes:

the prices are really out of match to what they were, which is indicative of another problem; too much in drops. upping the price of those dropped items may make things worse (unless they reduced the drops, but I went out and killed 3 monsters after the change, got myself a tit chain book (well, page) and a mirror cloak)

those who have already purchased/read books at a lower cost have a huge advantage over the others; I'm hoping there will be new books coming soon which will reduce this (hint hint?)

as for making things harder... no kidding. plate should only really ever be used by those who can fight fluffy and chim (and other players of similar level) but plate items (I'm not counting helm and shield, natch) are bought for use by some people who might not even be able to kill goblins.

I say... make the game harder! not harder to play, but harder to do the best stuff. else what happens? you get there in a month or two, then what?

(unless they reduced the drops, but I went out and killed 3 monsters after the change, got myself a tit chain book (well, page) and a mirror cloak)

169347[/snapback]

the book drop ratio seems to be the same but the capes and damage rings (on fluffy) drop a lot more since the last update, i got 5 mm capes in two days while i got like 1 per two weeks before, and i got 3 times more damage rings in two days than i got before in a month

as for making things harder... no kidding. plate should only really ever be used by those who can fight fluffy and chim (and other players of similar level) but plate items (I'm not counting helm and shield, natch) are bought for use by some people who might not even be able to kill goblins.

I say... make the game harder! not harder to play, but harder to do the best stuff. else what happens? you get there in a month or two, then what?

169347[/snapback]

YES... bring back level ranged items - 50+ def for plate for example - and maybe for the capes too

YES... bring back level ranged items - 50+ def for plate for example - and maybe for the capes too

169358[/snapback]

Capes? Defence 50+ - hmmm.... what the sense would be then in having mm cape? And how could newbies make some quests? For plate - agree, for capes - never!

regards

vanyel

Capes? Defence 50+ - hmmm.... what the sense would be then in having mm cape? And how could newbies make some quests? For plate - agree, for capes - never!

regards

vanyel

169552[/snapback]

erm... not 50... MM maybe from level 5 any skill or OA (since it's for non-fighters too)

combat capes could of course have a higher skill level

CYN, didn't have to insult me there.

Brain, I'm _A_..Who else would I be..

Bah, hell with this post obviously my views aren't excactly relavent so never mind.

_A_

Bah, hell with this post obviously my views aren't excactly relavent so never mind.

169565[/snapback]

Your views are relevant, and there's a lot of people that share your views as equally as people share the view that the pricechange is good.

Some people are just more passionate when they share, I guess ^_^

Oh, as for the level for things to get dropped.. Capes, defiantly not level-ranged unless it was a really focused-on fighting cape. Other items should be regulated better with the new price changes.

Edited by Lady_Eika

CYN, didn't have to insult me there.

Brain, I'm _A_..Who else would I be..

_A_... there is nothing wrong with anyone's views, including yours! People can agree or disagree. It's just a shame that people don't know how to disagree without being insulting!

There seems to be a LOT of that in the forums. I don't know why people think it's ok to be rude/insulting, just because they have a different opinion.

169358[/snapback]

yes nice :D level req for everything like it used to be once :ph34r: :lol:

Heh, I heard that discussion somewhere else, so maybe just stay on 'book topic' here?

And so true, fighters are not very rich, just not poor:P

169326[/snapback]

I'm a Fighter, and I'm poor :S

There is always getting the book through community and friends, that enhances the RPG angle. It can sometimes be a good thing to not always be able to do everything yourself.

169195[/snapback]

Sorry to tell you this, but being a long-time roleplayer, both with pen&paper and Live, and having GM'ed quite a bit, I have learned the following:

You can't force people to role play!

And since EL is not primarily played as an RPG, it can give some real trouble, with persons totaly unknown to roleplaying being forced to play along on something they don't know how to do.

I would guess that the goal with this game is to make it accessible to everyone, and I've got to say that I don't think this is the way.

Alternatively combinig the new booksellers with the old ones, might be something that could work.

Have some NPC's selling some of the most basic books, at reasonable prices (prices that new players can afford relatively easy), and make them easily accessible, like in the libraries, and then keep the more special books at the current prices, and in more dangerous areas, so that people that really want to focus on a certain skill will have to work a bit for it.

Just my thoughts on the matter

I gotta agree with salun on this.

There is always getting the book through community and friends

It can sometimes be a good thing to not always be able to do everything yourself.

169195[/snapback]

I agree with what Learner said about them having to try to work with other people to aquire the books. I think the teamwork aspect of it is really neat

169239[/snapback]

Here's the thing...the current trend for encouraging the community aspect and team work is all very well...HOWEVER, the average new player is fortunate to find this from a fairly measurable proportion of experienced EL players.

Lets face it, the reason most of the n00bs get healed at beam is coz people want to get their magic levels up using remote heal. (Ok there are SOME players who have a genuine commitment to help new players, but they are significantly outnumbered by the ones who dont).

Which straight away reduces the chances of the new player getting the kind of help and teamwork they require to keep them interested in the game.

As for the friends arguement above...this is also all well and good IF YOU HAVE FRIENDS WHO ALREADY PLAY...it unfortunately excludes players who do not have friends who play EL, who like myself have merely stumbled across the EL website on a random google gamesearch and decided to give the game a try. And excluding ANY player upon the basis of making the game too difficult to get anywhere without frequent help to learn the mere harvesting basics is detrimental to the community AND the game itself.

To be perfectly honest, if I had joined since the new update, I doubt very much if I would have stuck it out. The difficulty to get to even mining stage for the various ingredients needed to pursue any one single trade is just too high. I am just glad I got into the game a lot earlier, and am now a little bit of a more established n00b.

I think the thing I find most annoying in all this, is that although it has now become MUCH MUCH harder to acquire the basic harvesting skills in all the various ingredients, the harvesting experience cap has not been altered/increased to reflect this difficulty. This is flawed, imo, as you are basically saying that the skills should be harder to acquire by making the books harder to pruchase (either through price or location of sellers) AND still as difficult to gain exp from the harvest skill once you have acheived the required skill research.

Surely if the harvest skill has now become a much harder research topic, it should also benefit from a greatly experience potential?

Ok...let rip, where have I gone wrong on this? I get the feeling I may have missed something out somewhere here....

Oh yeah...that was it...it isnt just the harvest exp that is wrong...if the research is that much harder to aquire for the various skills, then the exp for using those skills should be boosted to reflect the difference between the apprentice and the master of each given skill. A degrading system of exp would have to be introduced for that though, and this isnt the proper thread, so I will stop right there.