Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lyanna

The Heavens of EL

Hello everybody. :) As you know, this forum is currently fairly quiet while we're awaiting the judges and players to finalise their votes. So, to liven things up again, I've decided to start off the mapping of the EL skies project in advance. :D

Right now, I would like your input on the names and numbers of sun(s) and moon(s) that you think Draia (our planet) should have. Also, as an added bonus and thank-you to all the people who have helped out or taken part in Storylines over the course of our history, I'm awarding Star Points.

What are Star Points? Simply this: Each person with 1 Star Point gets to name a star to be included in the star maps of EL. Of course, these stars are invisible - you will never see them in the game - but we can refer to them in stories, and maybe even draw out pictures of the night skies to put into in-game maps (if I can get a decent artist to work on it). So, in some way, you can be remembered for your contributions to Storylines. :) Of course, the more you help out, the more Star Points you get. :(

For every Star Point you get, you can submit a name or idea for a particular phenomenon in the sky of EL - it doesn't have to be stars alone. There could be things like meteorite showers, comets that come around every XX years or so, other planets, other planets' moons, some weird hovering (natural) satellites, any sort of astronomical or astrological events. If you like, you could band together your star names and create a constellation too. :) Who knows - maybe there might be EL horoscopes one day...

But for now, here's the outline:

Every person who has taken part in the Storylines Contest has one Star Point (that means they can name one heavenly body) for each entry that they have submitted. So someone who submitted 5 entries will have 5 Star Points.

In addition, the Storylines Staff (Quinticus, Brom, freeone3000) get an additional 5 Star Points. Other partners with Storylines (Lord_Vermor, Derin, ttlanhil, Lachesis, crusadingKNIGHT, Placid, Grum, etc.) get 2 Star Points each.

And all of my old regulars (Saii, Tumaros, Kayliana, Aira, Geelef, Master_Templar) get 5 Star Points. All other writers who have submitted a story to this forum before (but do not fall into the above categories) get 1 Star Point each.

But leave the Sun(s) and Moon(s) of Draia out of your Star Points... we'll discuss that together, and all have a say in it. Every other heavenly body is free for you to name, though. :) I'll leave it mostly to Quinticus to handle the discussion, since I'll be busy with quests. Have fun! :D

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

I suggest 3 moons for Draia

The moon ALTARIEL. This is the biggest moon

and therefore regarded as the "real" moon.

Altariel represents the night and the need for a guiding light. Most seafarers pay respect to Altariel, by offerings from their ships.

full to full = 30 days

The moon LYRI is the 2nd biggest moon. It is the "fastest" moon, and is regarded as a messenger from the gods by common folk in Draia.

"Lyri see it all" and similar comments are often heard in farmsteads and markets.

full to full = 22 days

The moon ORMAL, the smallest moon. Ormal is the moon with the longest cycle and it always bear tidings of bad things. Commoners will rarely initiate anything important when Ormal is full.

full to full = 48 days

The three moons takes an important role in religion and everyday life, not because of themselves but because the three moons (Lyri, Altariel and Ormal) will be full the same night once every seven years, causing strange things to man and beast.

Every 4th time this happens (each 28 years) something terrible happens to Draia, not only causes this a terrible "Night of the howling wolves", but also havoc at the Great Seas around the world. Most of the religious orders claims that it is the god Mortos who is trying to free his creation Jig-Bejir (the Walls of the World) and all the other gods are trying to stop him. When this occurs the three moons appear in an equilateral triangle.

On horoscopes

Astronomical devices for solving problems relating to the position of the Sun, the moons and stars in the sky, are known to the world. The most commonly known device is the Astrolabe.

It is believed that the elves told the gnomes about celestial time and that the gnomes then invented a time keeping device - the Astrolabe.

The knowledge has spread since, but it is still uncommon to encounter a astrolabe, not to mention to find a person who can actually operate such a device.

The astronomers are motivated to measure the positions of the stars and planets and to keep track of eclipses for astrological reasons (the word "horoscope" is from dwarven Har-sko-par which, in turn, is from the elven words for "boundary" (the horizon) and "target" (object of observation).

Quite a few astrolabes have astrological features that would allow the user to determine horoscopes.

Don't use the phrase 'heavenly bodies' in the public forums or you'll get a bunch of sexual references back from the players.

Actually, I was thinking it might cause an initial attraction towards the topic (in the same way that a lot of advertisements nowadays feature semi-nude women)... but on reflection, I think you're right - it's safer to just change the title. :)

Heh, sounds interesting so far, Derin.

-Lyn-

LOL Learner....I actually did NOT think of that until you mentioned it :)

What about having the constellations in shapes of some of the legends/myths? Or even the gods? have a constellation for each deity.

I suggest 3 moons for Draia

168438[/snapback]

one point on that, the moons would likely affect each others' orbits some; so the lunar cycles won't be constant

What about having the constellations in shapes of some of the legends/myths? Or even the gods? have a constellation for each deity.

168538[/snapback]

followers of some gods will refuse to record other gods as constelations; myths and legends sounds good though.

I think a binary star system would be cool for the suns, though that would likely mean another sort of seasons, depending on the suns' orbits around each other

as for naming stars, I may come up with a few ideas and suggest a constellation for them later

one point on that, the moons would likely affect each others' orbits some; so the lunar cycles won't be constant

168633[/snapback]

I know, but for convenience in the game, I suggest constant cycles.

Maybe the moons are moved by the gods, like a giant chess game in the sky......

Maybe the moons are moved by the gods, like a giant chess game in the sky......

168701[/snapback]

Ooh... or 3 moons and 2 suns, as the chariots (well, y'know) of the Gods... ocassionally clashing in the heavens (eclipses, effects of suns orbiting each other, the moons passing near each other, etc)

There could be quite a few legends told about something like this :o

Ooh... or 3 moons and 2 suns, as the chariots (well, y'know) of the Gods... ocassionally clashing in the heavens (eclipses, effects of suns orbiting each other, the moons passing near each other, etc)

There could be quite a few legends told about something like this  :D

168718[/snapback]

Two suns?? Need to change the shadows on the client when outside then!

There could be quite a few legends told about something like this  :D

168718[/snapback]

I love that idea, and there are indefinite possiblities to tie this to a lot of stories and events. maybe certain spells can only be cast under certain conditions, or the manufacturing of titanium items will be easier when the moons/stars are in a certain position etc etc.

I will think about this some more.

Well I think the moons not having the exact same orbit every night is just fine. That way you can have special moon eclipses that only happen like once/century and on that special night something special will happen. :D

Well Derin said it above too :)

Two suns?? Need to change the shadows on the client when outside then!

168721[/snapback]

well, not really. binary stars are generally pretty close together... from the ground it'd probably look like the sun grows and shrinks every few days (wouldn't that be something to see? and cause for the superstitious to make many religious answers) so the lighting level might be tweaked, but shadows (unless we have an eclipse) can probably stay unchanged

With the eclipse/moon cycle/sun cycle/etc... that and planetary alignment could have an effect on magic as well

ooh! and if we get tides, then maybe only at a time when all moons are all in the same phase would you be able to get to a certain very-low-tide place on a map

well, not really. binary stars are generally pretty close together... from the ground it'd probably look like the sun grows and shrinks every few days (wouldn't that be something to see? and cause for the superstitious to make many religious answers) so the lighting level might be tweaked, but shadows (unless we have an eclipse) can probably stay unchanged

With the eclipse/moon cycle/sun cycle/etc... that and planetary alignment could have an effect on magic as well

ooh! and if we get tides, then maybe only at a time when all moons are all in the same phase would you be able to get to a certain very-low-tide place on a map

168734[/snapback]

Just don't be in the low spot when it switches to a very high tide :D

Heh, we could get some better water animation and add tieds and waves, then we could kill Crabs :D

Heh, we could get some better water animation and add tieds and waves, then we could kill Crabs :D

168762[/snapback]

make the crabs short enough and the water deep enough, and they sneak up on you before you nkow they are there!!

And clamp onto your toes, causing fire damage, they are Fire crabs after all....ok a little offtopic, but the point is If we want to put a lot into it, we can get a lot in return :D

hmm... should things like sun/moon/stars medallions be affected by something celestial? :D

Ok, I'll spend one of my star points....

I would like a sister planet to this called Valens. Its a derivation of the latin term meaning to be powerful.

hehe... finally, someone starts using Star Points... :P (I was beginning to wonder if that was a bad idea!)

Two suns and three moons... I think we're going to need a God of the Skies to keep track of them all. :ph34r: (Something like a Chess Master, by the looks of it... or maybe that was Dvar's job, before he disappeared.)

-Lyn-

1. The 'Granted' Star: Much like our own North star, this was placed in the sky by Glydoc to help his Draegoni navigate the world.

2. Zarin's Light: A curious phenomenon to be found just off the coast of Isla Prima. Said to be created by the souls of the past, scientist believe it to be made of balls of lightning which dance throughout the night.

3. Footfall of Dvar: A once-yearly day in which a rainbow, seemingly from nowhere (for it is not dependent on rainfall), covers every inch of the sky. Dvar once took credit in the early days of the world, saying with a smile 'It is not merely the earth that holds great beauty. Potential is everywhere.'

4. White Stone's glory: Above the city, on summer evenings, can be seen the most spectacular sunsets in the land. Whether this was designed, or merely a lucky coincidence is not known, but the clouds, the wind and the horizon put on a never-ending stream of gala performances.

5. Lyanna's quill: (Well, she does a good job :ph34r:) A constellation of stars in the east of the night sky. The stength of its sparkle is said to be an indicator of when history is to be made.

Edited by Saii

Cursor, or the Runner: a comet that appears every... EL year, perhaps? and then again on its way out, a few weeks to a month later. This comet does not follow the plane of the eliptic (how the planets, moons, etc are roughly on a disc around the sun), but travels on a very flat orbit perpendicular to Draia. This causes passage over the planetary poles.

A number of the people fear the coming of the Runner, beleiving it to be a messenger of Mortos, a far smaller number (largely followers of Mortos) celebrate when the Runner is due

The Snakes: a constellation viewed as two snakes fighting. Could also be seen as two seperate constellations; Reus Serpens and Insignis Serpens.

These are made of 3 stars each.

Bellun Serpens: a supernova that appeared between where the Snakes' heads are commonly drawn on starcharts (which is generally a very small gap).

Gadril: the greatest Archer of legend, Every year the comet "Cursor, or the Runner" comes along its course from poll to poll directly accross where Gadril's silver bow "lightbringer" lays, essentially shooting the comet at the north star or "The 'Granted' Star"

Note: I wish to redeem my 5 Star points into the silver bow. Shaped as a recurve bow, one for each end, one for the spot closest to the archer on both ends and one for the middle. The rest of the archer may or may not be in the constalations. Assuming Archery eventually comes into the game, Ill but the stars up now.

I may name the rest of the stars at a later date, but the center star in the bow I would like to name: "Climas" (subject to change)

The comet might has its origins from Mortos but in a strange twist it is said the archers bow was from Aluwen, though she already gets too much fame, lets make it Glilin: The god of Craftsmanship and Skill.

Edited by Brom