Eternal Lands Official Forums

I am not in any way trying to get involved in this, but what about a client-side patch that identifies mods, something along the line of a text file that is stored on the EL server with a list of all the mods and NHelpers in there, or a new server variable eg SEND_MODS_LIST followed by a byte identifying the current mods list number, which the client sends at startup and, if the server version is different, will send a new packet back to the client, eg HERE_MODS_LIST:

at start of client, client checks for mods list file

if it exists, get client's last version number from file

SEND_MODS_LIST,[client's last version number] ->server

otherwise

SEND_MODS_LIST,[0] ->server

[server checks, server is on version 1]

if(client version of list differs from server version of list)

{

HERE_MODS_LIST,[byte showing current server version],[byte identifying number of mods/NH],[... null-terminated names]

client saves server version as client's last version number and mods list to a file

}

otherwise ignore request, the client already has the latest list version.

All that is left to do then is go through the chat as and when it arrives, and check for the name, highlight it client side, job is done.

I know I have pseudocoded that, but the code itself on both ends would be incredibly simple, and if the Upper Echelon like the idea, I can code it in a few minutes, if not I promise not to lose any sleep over it, and nor should you guys.

I have no views on this issue one way or the other, but I play regularly, and quite often forget I am talking with a mod (no bad thing, except I tend to be less inclined to see a different point of view with regular players, whereas with mods I do actually try to see it from their side, whether this is a reflection on me I don't know)

I am not in any way trying to get involved in this, but what about a client-side patch that identifies mods, something along the line of a text file that is stored on the EL server with a list of all the mods and NHelpers in there.

167480[/snapback]

Not saying I agree or disagree, but it certainly would be simple to transmit admin.lst from the server to the client.

This isnt a matter of whether it can be done or not, its whether it SHOULD be done, and if it would be relevant and helpful.

It's a hard line to walk IMHO. Sometimes we have to call "topic" not because any ONE thing is out of line, but collectively the conversation is straying to far beyond the purpose of the channel.

In my case, people I don't think are purposely or abusively off topic, I try to PM warn. Others I will Rule.

A tag for modness? That could go the other way and make us stand out to the point that people fear us. Which is not the point of being a mod.

Why are my posts being ignored by almost all the mods here?

To remind you..I suggested instead of tagging the mods, wich will make em even more 'above' the players, they should make a post introducing them selves. That way they would get a face etc..read my posts in this thread about that..

Jez

The idea of opsting a greeting just because we're mods is I think two-edged. It can't hurt to let people know we're mods and human, but then again, people already know that. The mods online list is available for all to see. As are the forums. The problem is, not everyone looks at them. If you are warned by a mod that you didn't know was a mod, then you'll soon learn who is and who isn't a moderator.

What should we say? Should we give out personal info that no one else does, just because we're moderators? Should we just say who our character is and what they do? more often than not people will learn quickly who is and who is not a moderator, if they care to take the time to look at the list available to them already. Then when you know who the moderators are, you can get to know us like you get to know any other character in the game. We are more often than not, quite approachable people. We rarely bite. (harder than you want us to...)

In my opinion, nothing extra should be done to make the mods any different from other players. The #@ command has been suggested for a mod colour flag already, and as far as I know, nothing has come of it.

The idea of opsting a greeting just because we're mods is I think two-edged. It can't hurt to let people know we're mods and human, but then again, people already know that.

167605[/snapback]

Thats the problem..ppl DONT know that..they see moderators as nosey, anoying and topic-yelling chars that spoil their fun in game..well..lol..alot think that..:P

This is a chance to let the ppl see who they are and give them a personality.

Mods ARE different from players..theres no denying in that, but at least show the community you all are human too, not some bot-like char yelling topic and sending random warnings, mutes and boots..;)

I made my point quit clear here, and if im just being ignored, that will only prove my point WHY i think its important to give the mods a face....

Jez

You want a good reason to not have special tags for mods talking on channel? Ok, here's one:

I often moderate channel 3. For the most part, I have to do very little. Despite claims of mass abuse, etc, most players in game know the rules and respect them (thank you). I typically just have to sit back and glance at what is going on (which is the buying/selling/trading of EL items.) In some cases people get out of hand or argue (whatever). And I'm guessing that at these times you believe that the Mod Tag would be appropriate so that everyone takes me serious? Right?

Well, what then when the channel is working as it should and I want to be a normal player and sell somet things? Should I have this mod tag that gets me more notice than the other players? Wouldn't that be unfair to other sellers, sellers who may be competing with me?

When I first played this game, I pretty much ignored the mods. I knew that they existed (I did need some help on #jc 1). But for the most part, I only knew who 1 or 2 of them were. And I didn't NEED to know who they were. Players who can respect the rules and just want to have fun, don't need mods. Mods are only needed to babysit those players who think they have some right to ruin the fun time of others.

Now, Jezebelle, are you happy that someone has responded? In the future, I would appreciate it if you didn't take such slight offense that someone has responded to your posts. We are busy and (despite rumors to the contrary) we don't have an opinion on everything everyone says. And, sometimes by keeping our mouths shut, we allow other players to voice their opinions without them thinking that "a mod has spoken and now it is official".

(Edited to stay on topic)

Edited by Kit

Oh please!  You're not being ignored.  People can read but that doesn't neccesitate that they have to reply.

But you want a good reason to not have special tags for mods talking on channel?

167641[/snapback]

No Kit, thats NOT what I asked for..geesh!! Read my post!

And get off that high horse..it dont suit you.

Jez

Why are my posts being ignored by almost all the mods here?

167593[/snapback]

Am I missing something here?

High horse? Why do you have to make accusations that make mods seem that they are irresponsible or high-n-mighty?

If you want to post a suggestion, post it. If it doesn't get attention, don't stand up and shout for more attention. It makes you look needy.

Edited by Kit

Am I missing something here?

High horse?  Why do you have to make accusations that make mods seem that they are irresponsible or high-n-mighty?

If you want to post a suggestion, post it.  If it doesn't get attention, don't stand up and shout for more attention.  It makes you look needy.

167655[/snapback]

Its often the tone of voice that one uses to make em seem on a high horse.

Heres my first post in this tread: you might wanna read this treat from the start bwt, before you jump to conclusions.

Here you can see which mod is online.

http://eternal-lands.solexine.fr/~radu/mods.php

Altho, it might be a good idea to make a post on these forums where the moderators and newbie helpers of this game introduce themselves to the public.

Theres been alot of talk about moderators lately and not all very positive.

This might be a chance for them to let the players know who and what they are..given them a 'face' so to speak, make them look 'human' if at all posible

Moderators are here to enforce the rules and are therefore loved and hated by the players. But, like each and everyone of us, they started out as 'normal' players.

Leveling and enjoying the game. After becoming a moderator, they put alot of time and efford into their 'job' The problem is, being a moderator, can do funny things to ppl. You have to enforce the law..wich places you above the players..you also wanna play the game..wich needs your 2 feet on the ground..amongst the same players who you lay the law on..

That can be hard..very hard and for some too hard. Still..I ask you mods all to mingle with the crowd and show them your 'just' as much a player as they are.

It will make the players respect you and your job even more

And..make that introduction post, show the community you are living, breathing creatures as much as anyone else here

Jez

Edit: I dont think tagging the mods in anyway is a good idea, it would make them even more 'outstanding' then they allready are..and again..they are in the first place..'just' players like all of us

The tone is one that is tired of people who want attention. You made a post. Thank you. But making follow-up posts with "why doesn't anyone respond"?? Ok, now that I've responded to you 2-3 times, I hope this need of yours is fulfilled.

BTW, it's only a matter of time before most of these are deleted or edit since we do seem to have strayed off the original topic.

I made my point quit clear here, and if im just being ignored, that will only prove my point WHY i think its important to give the mods a face....

Jez

167612[/snapback]

And yes..deleting posts is a radical and onece-and-for all method to shut the players up ;)

I rest my case...

Jez

Edited by Jezebelle

What I'm afraid of is the following:

Currently, the situation can be like this:

Channel 1

Newbie: Can anyone answer my question!

#Message from Moderator: Welcome to Eternal Lands! If you have any questions about the game, please join the Newbie Channel by typing #jc 1, and use @ to talk in it. eg. @hello I'm new.

[Newbie]: How do I do that blue message thingy?

[Player]: You can't, only mods can.

[Newbie]: Oh, cool. I wanna become a mod.

With the possible different kind of colour:

[Player1]: Yeah, and I think Arsenal should have won the last match.

[Player2]: No way, they sucked.

[Player3]: Topic please.

[Player1]: STFU, n00b. And you, player2, are you crazy?

[Player2]: Man U so totally deserved to win.

[Moderator]: Guys, get back to topic.

[Newbie]: How do I speak in a different colour?

[Player2]: You can't, only mods can.

[Player3]: *sigh* I wish I was a mod... people listen to them more.

[Newbie]: Oh cool, I wanna become a mod.

[Player4]: Yeah, some people don't pay attention to topic requests unless they're in orange.

Meanwhile, in #modchat:

#Mod1: Hey, if the conversation gets a little too offtopic, do you think I should go orange on them, or just ask for topic on regular colour?

#Mod2: I personally think you should jump to orange straightaway.

#Mod3: But won't that scare people off the first time?

#Mod1: Lol, I went orange and asked for topic, now I've got five people PMing me how to talk in that colour.

#Mod2: Yeah, I get that too.

#Mod3: The last time I tried it, some guy took it as a personal attack on him, and flamed me for half an hour about making his offtopicness so visible while allowing others to get off scot-free.

#Mod4: Yeah, apparently getting orange warnings is starting to be a real reputation-builder or destroyer.

Go figure. :S

-Lyn-

What I'm afraid of is the following:

Currently, the situation can be like this:

<edit>

Channel 1

With the possible different kind of colour:

<edit>

Meanwhile, in #modchat:

<edit>

Go figure. :S

-Lyn-

167674[/snapback]

Yes, that's a likely scenario Lyanna. And therefore I think we are pretty set as it is.

ok forgive me if i restate something but in a matter of moments this topic became alot shorter than when i started reading.....but have you thought of some of the new players....they just start the game and got no clue of rules or who is who or what is what...this is an instance where having some sort of chat tag on mods can come in handy....and hell there are mods that even i after playing 2 year had no idea were mods...whatever....now as far as the gap between player and mod IT CANT GET ANY BIGGER...no matter what you do you are a mod which gives you abilities regular players cant use....and no matter what you do your gonna have that one going hey i wanna be a mod and the choice to use power is that of the mod as is the level of off topic that is allowed...i fail to see any cons and from what i read all the objections to it have no reason.....i dont know about you but when a suggestion is made and no cons are pointed out it becomes pointless to bicker...

jeze did make a good suggestion too as did labrat...since some cant always switch and check the mod list while playing it would help to beable to access the list on the client itself...on my desktop the game starts fullscreen and should i try to change that it craps out on me where as my laptop it isnt a problem...

but hey what do i know im just one of the hundreds that play and usually stay quiet...

ok forgive me if i restate something but in a matter of moments this topic became alot shorter than when i started reading.....but have you thought of some of the new players....they just start the game and got no clue of rules or who is who or what is what...this is an instance where having some sort of chat tag on mods can come in handy....and hell there are mods that even i after playing 2 year had no idea were mods...whatever....now as far as the gap between player and mod IT CANT GET ANY BIGGER...no matter what you do you are a mod which gives you abilities regular players cant use....and no matter what you do your gonna have that one going hey i wanna be a mod and the choice to use power is that of the mod as is the level of off topic that is allowed...i fail to see any cons and from what i read all the objections to it have no reason.....i dont know about you but when a suggestion is made and no cons are pointed out it becomes pointless to bicker...

jeze did make a good suggestion too as did labrat...since some cant always switch and check the mod list while playing it would help to beable to access the list on the client itself...on my desktop the game starts fullscreen and should i try to change that it craps out on me where as my laptop it isnt a problem...

but hey what do i know im just one of the hundreds that play and usually stay quiet...

167686[/snapback]

exactly.

I'm one of the hundreds who play and usually stay quiet, too...which is why when we have something to say, it should be taken seriously. The way I've been treated in this thread is appalling. You (mods) have a VERY high-and-mighty tone whenever you type. You need to learn how to accept criticism and learn from it. In fact, the only mod I've encountered who DIDN'T have that tone was the one who warned me!!! He's the only mod who has earned my respect, and he did it when he said to me in pm that he may have "jumped the gun" but it was a "call I had to make."

If you want others to respect you, treat others with respect.

I'm done with this. I've made my suggestion, and I'm just plain tired of this. I'm not comming back to this post again, it's just not worth dealing with you people.

And thanks GGK, but I think they're beyond hope.