Eternal Lands Official Forums

There was an incident today where i was supposedly off topic. I didnt think so, but someone said something about it, and when i sorta related it back to the topic, (but not entirely,) i got warned. If I had known that person was a mod, I would have taken their topic request more seriously, and just dropped what i was talking about. (Note: I intentionally didn't say the name of the mod because I don't want this to seem like I'm attacking them. It could have happened with any mod.)

This situation could have been entirely prevented if I had known the person was a mod. If there was some kind of distinction on the name in the chat (such as "[turtleman (mod)]: w00t" or "[turtleman (M)]: w00t") everyone would have known. Also, there should be some kind of distinction over the head of the mod, so you know when you see them, like how police cars say "POLICE" on the side, and cops wear distinct uniforms. Maybe the names could be a different color, like npcs are blue, bots are purple, mods could be orange. Or they could be underlined.

Well the specifics aren't important, the point is that people should be able to tell who is a mod.

EDIT: By the way, I appreciate what the mods do. I understand that it is inevitable that people will dissagree with some decisions they make, but I know they're not evil and are just doing what they think is best, even if I dissagree.

Edited by turtleman

Any topic request should be taken seriously, mod or non mod.

167285[/snapback]

well I thought i was on topic, and I trust my own judgement over that of another non-mod.

There was an incident today where i was supposedly off topic. I didnt think so, but someone said something about it, and when i sorta related it back to the topic, (but not entirely,) i got warned.

If you didn't think you were off topic, then how could you "sorta related it back to the topic, (but not entirely,)"? Obviously even you know you were off topic.

Which isn't the point. Topic is topic, rules are rules, whether or not there is a mod there. You shouldn't only follow the rules when a "policeman" is there.

If you didn't think you were off topic, then how could you "sorta related it back to the topic, (but not entirely,)"?  Obviously even you know you were off topic.

Which isn't the point.  Topic is topic, rules are rules, whether or not there is a mod there.  You shouldn't only follow the rules when a "policeman" is there.

167287[/snapback]

That's not the point. I know NOW that it COULD HAVE BEEN INTERPRETED as still off topic. Personally, I think I was on topic.

And you missed the point entirely. The rules are VERY broad and open to interpretation. A mod's interpretation obviously means more than a non-mod's interpretation, as a mod can enforce his/her interpretation. Saying "Topic is topic, rules are rules," is just plain rediculous. It's not black and white, there is a lot of interpretation involved.

I'm not saying you should follow the rules only when a "policeman" is there. I'm saying if a "policeman" says you're breaking the law, you know he knows what he's talking about, whereas when someone else tells you, they might be wrong or lying.

Maybe if you weren't so defensive you could see that. The mod who this happened with discussed it with me on pm and got me to understand why i was warned (even if I didn't entirely agree) and we dropped it on good terms. So maybe you can let your guard down for a minute and actually consider the idea I'm proposing, as it's the TOPIC of this post.

Edited by turtleman

Defensive? :)

Topic in channel 1 is newbie help. If the topic goes elsewhere, and somebody complains, the topic needs to go back to newbie help. Same applies to market. It doesn't matter if it is a mod or a regular player. Nothing to do with defensive. Nothing to do with broad and open to interpretation rules.

I agree with topic but but what ever happened to the the first thing rule #11 says? "conversations may stray a little from the general purpose...."

167292[/snapback]

11. Stay On Topic In Named Channels.

Conversations may stray a little from the general purpose of the channel, but should not do so to the extent that such conversations derail the purpose of the channel. Such limitations and extents are at the discretion of the moderator in the channel.

Yes but you forgot a part. And the purpose of the channel is newbie help. So if somebody wants topic to go back to newbie help, that's the priority, whether it be a mod or a regular player.

Defensive?  :)

Topic in channel 1 is newbie help.  If the topic goes elsewhere, and somebody complains, the topic needs to go back to newbie help.  Same applies to market.  It doesn't matter if it is a mod or a regular player.  Nothing to do with defensive.  Nothing to do with broad and open to interpretation rules.

167291[/snapback]

Oh really?

7: No offtopic chat in the newbie and trade channel

Only SOME offtopic chat in the newbie channel and marketing channel will be allowed.  Marketing channel is much stricter than the newbie channel.  The general chat is channel 4.

"SOME offtopic chat"...seems broad to me.

And your tone was extremely defensive. I made a suggestion, which is the topic of this forum, and you turned it around to attack me. If you want to do that, take it to the designated flaming section. I made a suggestion here and I don't want it lost in this rediculous argument.

1.You are quoting old rules.

2.We don't have a flames section anymore.

Again, you are not reading what I am saying. I said "IF" the conversation strays (not saying this will never happen or can't happen, I know it does) "AND" somebody complains and wants it back on topic, then that trumps the "some off topic allowed". Not defensive, but a fact.

WHY should people be able to tell who is a mod? After all, there are undercover police too :)

1.You are quoting old rules.

2.We don't have a flames section anymore.

Again, you are not reading what I am saying.  I said "IF" the conversation strays (not saying this will never happen or can't happen, I know it does) "AND" somebody complains and wants it back on topic, then that trumps  the "some off topic allowed".  Not defensive, but a fact.

WHY should people be able to tell who is a mod?  After all, there are undercover police too :)

167295[/snapback]

1.That's the rule that was red when I was warned, so I don't have any idea what you're talking about.

2.THEN DROP IT!

I'm not going to reply to you anymore unless you have something to say about my suggestion.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the last line of your post...

Well you wouldn't send an under cover cop to direct traffic, would you? They both serve different purposes, and I think undercover mod's could be useful, but one's who are clearly mods are more important. And the way things are now, they are hardly undercover, since many (even most) people know who they are.

Edited by turtleman

WHY should people be able to tell who is a mod?  After all, there are undercover police too :)

167295[/snapback]

Not to be argumentative because I know you might be joking as indicated by your smiley, but even undercover cops identify themselves when it comes time for them to lay down the law.

My point with all of this is that a player has the right to call for topic just as much as a mod does. Which leads us to your suggestion, which I do not feel is necessary in this situation and can hurt other situations. We have other ways to "prove" we are a mod if the need arises. As you have said, enough people do know we are mods so that if someone really does need to know, they can be directed to us.

My point with all of this is that a player has the right to call for topic just as much as a mod does.  Which leads us to your suggestion, which I do not feel is necessary in this situation and can hurt other situations.  We have other ways to "prove" we are a mod if the need arises.  As you have said, enough people do know we are mods so that if someone really does need to know,  they can be directed to us.

167299[/snapback]

In which situations would this hurt any more than people just knowing who the mods are?

In which situations would this hurt any more than people just knowing who the mods are?

167300[/snapback]

Here you can see which mod is online.

http://eternal-lands.solexine.fr/~radu/mods.php

Altho, it might be a good idea to make a post on these forums where the moderators and newbie helpers of this game introduce themselves to the public.

Theres been alot of talk about moderators lately and not all very positive.

This might be a chance for them to let the players know who and what they are..given them a 'face' so to speak, make them look 'human' if at all posible :)

Moderators are here to enforce the rules and are therefore loved and hated by the players. But, like each and everyone of us, they started out as 'normal' players.

Leveling and enjoying the game. After becoming a moderator, they put alot of time and efford into their 'job' The problem is, being a moderator, can do funny things to ppl. You have to enforce the law..wich places you above the players..you also wanna play the game..wich needs your 2 feet on the ground..amongst the same players who you lay the law on..

That can be hard..very hard and for some too hard. Still..I ask you mods all to mingle with the crowd and show them your 'just' as much a player as they are.

It will make the players respect you and your job even more :)

And..make that introduction post, show the community you are living, breathing creatures as much as anyone else here :)

Jez

Edit: I dont think tagging the mods in anyway is a good idea, it would make them even more 'outstanding' then they allready are..and again..they are in the first place..'just' players like all of us :)

Edited by Jezebelle

I like Jezebelle idea. Some people consider mods being just something between bot and god. The introduction post would make them more like us - grey players.

Mods have their capes - so if they are taking some actions in game you know who they are - there could be something like this on channel too, but I'm not sure if it's really essencial. If you get warned you know it was mod who warn you - there is no way to warn you (i'm not sure if it's #rule command or not) for other players.

Aislinn has a point, if you would be asked by players to stay on topic it is same as mod ask you to do it, next step is usually #abuse note - it's really not nice for nobody - sender, mod and 'object' of note.

vanyel

The rules of the game are there for a reason. Try to act mature and listen to your fellow players, then you will not, usually, have to wonder if you are off-topic or not.

Having a mod-tag "might" serve some purpose, but it is not really needed that bad if you ask me.

The "broad" scope of the rules are not there to be exploited. They are there to allow some smoothness of the gameflow. It is virtually impossible to make exact rules for any given situation.

Moderators to interpret the rules. But this does not mean it's a free-for-all if a moderator is not present (in a channel or a local area).

If the channel tag or colored text or however it was decided to be done was optional, I wouldn't mind it... #modtag on/off or #color on/off....There are times when it just wouldn't be appropriate.

I don't like that idea.

167385[/snapback]

Can you tell us why? and is that the opinion of all the mods?

Jez

First of all, there are many times that mods need to be anonymous, having the mods online page is bad enough, announcing themselves automatically makes it worse. If anything like this went int, it would have to be something that can be turned on/off at will.

Also, it shouldn't matter if the person telling you to get back on topic is a mod or not. People should pay attention. As for being ruled, that doesn't hurt you either and is a sure fire way of knowing that a mod has paid attention and you need to as well.

Can you tell us why? and is that the opinion of all the mods?

Jez

167395[/snapback]

What?! No, I speak for myself, and only myself.

Learner, I have to agree. However, a channel notification isnt so bad, it's just another way to make the channel aware.

Here you can see which mod is online.

http://eternal-lands.solexine.fr/~radu/mods.php

Altho, it might be a good idea to make a post on these forums where the moderators and newbie helpers of this game introduce themselves to the public.

Theres been alot of talk about moderators lately and not all very positive.

This might be a chance for them to let the players know who and what they are..given them a 'face' so to speak, make them look 'human' if at all posible :)

Moderators are here to enforce the rules and are therefore loved and hated by the players. But, like each and everyone of us, they started out as 'normal' players.

Leveling and enjoying the game. After becoming a moderator, they put alot of time and efford into their 'job' The problem is, being a moderator, can do funny things to ppl. You have to enforce the law..wich places you above the players..you also wanna play the game..wich needs your 2 feet on the ground..amongst the same players who you lay the law on..

That can be hard..very hard and for some too hard. Still..I ask you mods all to mingle with the crowd and show them your 'just' as much a player as they are.

It will make the players respect you and your job even more :)

And..make that introduction post, show the community you are living, breathing creatures as much as anyone else here :)

Jez

Edit: I dont think tagging the mods in anyway is a good idea, it would make them even more 'outstanding' then they allready are..and again..they are in the first place..'just' players like all of us :)

167306[/snapback]

I like the idea of the mods introducing themselves. People are always complaining that the mods are abusive, power hungry, teh ebul, etc. Maybe if they got to know the mods as regular people, they might realize they're wrong (and stop flooding the abuse forum with it...that's really annoying.)

If the channel tag or colored text or however it was decided to be done was optional, I wouldn't mind it...  #modtag on/off or #color on/off....There are times when it just wouldn't be appropriate.

167375[/snapback]

I think that would be a good idea, based on what jez said. You could take it off when you wanted to just play el, and you could turn it on to "flash your badge" if you needed to. That would definitly be better than something permanent, now that you mention it.

I like the mod-colour on/off option, it's like them wearing the cape

as for listening to mods vs non-mods... yes, you should listen to both the same when told to stay on topic. but as to what is and isn't on topic, you probably listen to mods a lot more

I like the idea of the mods introducing themselves.  People are always complaining that the mods are abusive, power hungry, teh ebul, etc.  Maybe if they got to know the mods as regular people, they might realize they're wrong (and stop flooding the abuse forum with it...that's really annoying.)

I think that would be a good idea, based on what jez said.  You could take it off when you wanted to just play el, and you could turn it on to "flash your badge" if you needed to.  That would definitly be better than something permanent, now that you mention it.

167423[/snapback]

Mods are always on duty, when active..comes with the job :)

You cant say 'hey i wanna play now, i dont mod"You can however let a collegea mod take over IF another one is online.

Again, I do not like the idea of having tags mods, it will only increase the gap between players and moderators.

Jez