Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reciproque

Iraqi Information Minister

' [player name] is completely healthy. - Iraqi information minister'

Hello, I discovered EL three days ago - and find it really great so far! - but the above line reporting the death of a character had me perplexed.

What does real life politics have to do with EL storyline at all? Does every EL player have to share the political convictions this statement allude to? Is it really funny?

Personally, I like it when rpgs aren't politically colored, plus I don't think this line is really witty, so I wanted to suggest to have it removed. Hope it's the right place to do so.

Keep up the great work!

Ciao.

there are other real-life tie-ins as well, as jokes.

vesine in the vinyards talks about mulder and scully

personally, I agree, it's more realistic if the EL universe is closed off from RL issues

I think its very very funny. and it makes the game more interesting when you can tie in a few RL situations. I say keep the line :D

JaneMuffin

Iraqi players can feel offended about that :)

167202[/snapback]

An what, Short people may be offended by cause we use "Dwarves"?

Tread Lightly in approaching everything from a Politically Correct View point. Otherwise we're going to all end up with our characters looking all the same and having our Words Censured! ...... Opps, Too Late.

reciproque, It's a joke.

Some may get it, Some may not.

Some think it's funny, Some do not.

Just Chill! It ain't hurting anything and I think it's funny to break the 4th Wall a few times! Just get over it.

Edited by Kami

It may or may not be whitty but it makes sence considering the Iraqi information minister has been known to say the opposite of things. The only thing that makes it "political" is the fact that the Iraqi information minister happens to be in politics. Other than that it doesn't seem to make any political stands. I think it's funny. If I was a member of his fan club I might not think it's funny but I'm not so oh well.

I am ofended by the line too......lalalalla death to america!!!

as well as this all the female characters should be wearing berkas.

It's funny dude get over it. who the hell really sees something like that and cares? It has nothing to do with policits the guy was full of crap and it's just a reference to that.

Edited by ChangeYourName

I am ofended by the line too......lalalalla death to america!!!

as well as this all the female characters should be wearing berkas.

167269[/snapback]

Actually that's my point, I'm just a black and white sighted that way.

who the hell really sees something like that and cares?  It has nothing to do with policits the guy was full of crap and it's just a reference to that.

167269[/snapback]

You're right, it doesn't relate to any political issues at all, and since no one cares I suggest replacement with:

' Number of casualties in EL today hasn't increased. [player name] doesn't exist. - CNN report'

:P

It's not big deal but still I don't think it's funny or on target. Plus, references to X-files is fine, even if it s obscure, the Mulder/Scully plotline is what it is and will remain so; but some witticism about a RL government is bound to become just plain obscure since someday it won't relate to any RL reality anymore (does it even now?).

I personally don't like having these RL political messages in the game at all..but i'm not the only one who has control over the game so... ;)

One of the owners wanted to express his contempt at the war, so he put those messages in, that's why :D

that isn't a bad one I'd rather see more like this

Let's hope (player name) voted for bush so he didn't go to hell...Fox News.

167581[/snapback]

ROTFL!

' [player name] is completely healthy. - Iraqi information minister'

Hello, I discovered EL three days ago - and find it really great so far! - but the above line reporting the death of a character had me perplexed.

What does real life politics have to do with EL storyline at all? Does every EL player have to share the political convictions this statement allude to? Is it really funny?

Personally, I like it when rpgs aren't politically colored, plus I don't think this line is really witty, so I wanted to suggest to have it removed. Hope it's the right place to do so.

Keep up the great work!

Ciao.

166977[/snapback]

lol....it is there to lighten the mood of dying...dont be whiny about it, i mean come on what about the one [player] was liberated the american way.....i could say it is offencive but i know it is there all in good fun..