Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Learner

When Ants Go Bad!

Would it be hard to change the maps location as soon as it became well known?

I am thinking it might be alot of work but I figure it take at least a month for evryoen to know about a secret cave, so an update every month or so would be needed.  Is that alot of work?  (I dont know anything about adding maps to the game.)

JaneMuffin

167164[/snapback]

Good and bad

It wouldn't be a lot of work to make several hundred possible entrances, and to have the server automatically switch which one was being used. I'd want it at least weekly or more often.

The bad is that it would REALLY confuse the ants everytime a critical path to the anthill was changed, it might take them a long time for even the ants to find it would lots of special work. Currently, everytime I move the anthill have to wipe all knowledge of the location of the anthill, and then walk one ant from the anthill all the way to beam to leave a trail. Without that initial trail it would take ants forever to discover where the anthill is.

So the ants use the ant pathfinding/floodfill algorithm (except, of course, they don't spawn new ants :D )?... is it too much to ask to get them to go to the CO Cave to "Visit" corpus and myself? :D (Yeah, I know, they would just ignore the flower).

So the ants use the ant pathfinding/floodfill algorithm (except, of course, they don't spawn new ants :D )?... is it too much to ask to get them to go to the CO Cave to "Visit" corpus and myself? :D (Yeah, I know, they would just ignore the flower).

167170[/snapback]

They have already visited that cave, and according to my logs they made it back out safely, CO must have been asleep at the time or the Ant just got lucky.

The ants path finding is based only on the trails the see in the area around them (about what you can see on a normal client zoomed back as far as it will go). This was done on purpose to simulate the real ants methods of going places. I avoided traditional pathfinding on purpose. When they go to something currently, unless they can 'see' it, they have no idea where it is, only about how far the walk would be ... it might even be on another map. For example the exit from the underworld is currently about 715 steps away from the anthill, in the future if shorter paths are discovered, that will drop.

They have already visited that cave, and according to my logs they made it back out safely, CO must have been asleep at the time or the Ant just got lucky.

167173[/snapback]

That's weird... corpus reports never having seen an ant. :D

The entrance is 510 steps from the anthill via what ever route was found. But checking the map information it looks like the ant did not stay there very long at all.

Looking farther back in the logs I do see that Corpus killed Ant_3 and the ant got no att or def exp as well. So the cave has been found at least twice.

Hidden ant hill...

I guess that although the client needs a copy of the map data, the links between maps (teleport or doors) are controlled server-side. So...

The Ant hill could be continually evolving and changing. Its actual map consists of lots of segments; chambers, corridors, junctions, etc. These are connected by teleport-like points (unmarked), to form a maze like map. Every so often, these teleport points are changed, so that the layout of the Ant hill changes.

So, players could create a map from the map-file, but it wouldn't be much help to them in finding their way around it!

There could also be an entrance to the Ant hill from several maps, hidden in various places and moving as well.

Anyway, just a thought...

:D

(this was to follow JaneMuffin's post, but got delayed)

Edited by trollson

I cant go back to nordcarn now. :D This image has been burned into my head.

How bout when you are made PKable for doing a bad deed we program the ants to swoop on you and attack :P Now thats punishment specially on a multi map :D

That would be VERY easy to do, but I won't do it unless the players and the devs think it is a good idea.

hehe .... put the anthill in the underworld at the bottom of the steps, and run about 40 ants at once.

That's weird... corpus reports never having seen an ant.  :D

167175[/snapback]

So, does this mean you want to see if I can have the Ants kill Corpus?

So, does this mean you want to see if I can have the Ants kill Corpus?

167207[/snapback]

Just let me rig her up cast harm, and we'll see what we can do. :D

Actually, that might be an interesting activity, over a 2hour period... have betting, etc. :) Maybe we can use that as an event someday. (BTW... corpus auto-heals, eats, etc... she's not exactly an easy target... then again... 100 ants at one time would pose a bit of a challenge, even to her.)

Edited by crusadingknight

I figured a smaller numbet of ants over a longer period of time ... and I'll get them several Perks first :D From my experiance running Hera, having 40 Ants coming at you with mirror skin will be challange for, and then they just keep coming at you! But, I'd have to do some setup first for their perks and so they won't get distracted by things like anthills

I figured a smaller numbet of ants over a longer period of time ... and I'll get them several Perks first :) From my experiance running Hera, having 40 Ants coming at you with mirror skin will be challange for, and then they just keep coming at you! But, I'd have to do some setup first for their perks and so they won't get distracted by things like anthills

167251[/snapback]

Thank god corpus knows Restore. ;)

Hrm... the ants would need to do > 60 damage per hour to actually require restore... restore takes 4 HE and and 25 EP... corpus has 8 PP left, which could be used to boost will by 8...

Hrm, ... it wouldn't work at all for corpus unless I created a swarm of red_knight's to protect her ;), unless she suddenly procured 2 SR's off each ant who dies.

Hrm... the ants would need to do > 60 damage per hour to actually require restore... restore takes 4 HE and and 25 EP... corpus has 8 PP left, which could be used to boost will by 8...

Hrm, ... it wouldn't work at all for corpus unless I created a swarm of red_knight's to protect her ;), unless she suddenly procured 2 SR's off each ant who dies.

167384[/snapback]

Mirror skin perk, 10% chance to reflect your 200+ points of damage back to you plus adding in Self Destruct. If corpus was 800 seconds from the spawn in hell, with 40 ants, that is one ant every 20 seconds, so on average Corpus would lose 250-350 pts every 200 seconds.

The strength of Corpus's own attack would be his undoing!

Still want to try without guards or players around???

hmmmm we could use a few Ants to kill Corpus or just put them on the bridge.

I hate the ants but they can be usef lsometimes also im gonna create a book of the Ants

The Army Of Learner&Co

i'm picking roja's side :)

she'll just make a nice big magic fence n lock them out! :)

So many ants... I wish I had been at the ant hill then, but don't they attract grues?

:bow_arrow: Dunian :battleaxe:

So many ants... I wish I had been at the ant hill then, but don't they attract grues?

;) Dunian :battleaxe:

187509[/snapback]

That's why the anthill is picked carefully. Furthermore, you rarely see ALL 20 ants in the same place.