Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Placid

Rendering Lag

Ok....

The latest CVS seems to cause some serious rendering lag when changing maps.

For instance, if I use a TP ring or #beam me to change a map, once the map is loaded, I begin to resync and all animation and movement (both command and raw text wise) is extremely slow. I get constant 'Low framerate detected, disabling shadows' and then I have to quit.

The earliest CVS snapshot that has this problem (that I can think of, as im using this now) is 26th May, but it's more than likely earlier than that.

System Specs

Proc: AMD64 3000+

Ram: 512MB

GPU: nVidia GeForce 440 Go (laptop) [Drivers ARE up-to-date]

OS: SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro (32 Bit pre-install kernel [2.6.8-14], although i'm about to upgrade to 2.6.11)

FPS: Anything from 10-120

This does not happen with 1.0.1, nor does restarting the CVS client help. It's strange, if I cause the lag, close and load 1.0.1 it runs fine, but loading the CVS shot just lags again. Memory problem?

Any ideas, comments or slaps you can give me?

It's caused by the change I made to detecting FPS. I think I better adjust it some more :)

It's caused by the change I made to detecting FPS. I think I better adjust it some more :)

165885[/snapback]

Phew, glad its not me B)

Do you know a CVS timestamp I can use in the meantime? (As said, 26th May is the earliest i've tried)

[EDIT]

I got a client working fine. Using CVS from the 20th May at 0500. Works fine, no lag.

Actually it's re-applying shadows automagically when the fps average becomes > 5 so... It's more of a beauty fix...

Edited by Wytter

Actually it's re-applying shadows automagically when the fps average becomes > 5 so... It's more of a beauty fix...

165955[/snapback]

Is it necessary?

Also, why does it continue even after the client has been closed? I do know that my client lags (rendering wise) when I start it until it disables shadows, so perhaps the lag just continues because of low FPS from execution?

Eh? Yes, it's necissary to adjust the shadows (you can use no_adjust_shadows = 1 for now if you don't want it to) to improve performance on machines where the player does not know about the possibility of lowering the quality/detail level.

What continues after the client has been closed? When the client is closed, the process doesn't exist any more...

It shouldn't lag... Doesn't happen here . Provide more info.

Ok:

I load CVS > 20th May.

I change a map (#beam, TP ring, whatever). The client then struggles, and complains. I get several 'Resyncs' and 'Low framerate detected...' and all animation is severely affected. I obviously have to close the client. When I open it again, the 'rendering lag' continues, which is actually quite weird - except its probably strugling with the fact that whenever I start my client, I lag until shadows are disabled.

Does that explain it?

Chances are that it's disabling, then re-enabling shadows all the time. I'll fix the bug tomorrow.

Chances are that it's disabling, then re-enabling shadows all the time. I'll fix the bug tomorrow.

166364[/snapback]

Top banana :(

Lemme know and I can test it if need be (unless its not commited to CVS)

Guess what, its back.

The rendering on latest CVS is appauling. My specs are the same as above, yet I cannot even move after shadows are disabled...

Much changed? (apart from the new cursor, which I doubt causes serious lag).

:unsure: