Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
giannis

This Is Weird...

What does google.com doing in our online members list?

And if it is a member why can't we see google's stats?

wtf.JPG

if the picture does not load clicketh here.

weird just plain weird.

yay im a celebrity!! lol :lol:

:huh:

165003[/snapback]

me too yay and yes i noticed this as well

All it is is a nice feature of Invision board which instead of just coutnign the google bots as guests it displays the google bot as if it were a member. Google is just doing its rutine index of the forums.

On phpbb boards you dont see this since it dosen't have that feature (plus google bot dosent' index or rarely indexes forums...thou my forums are optimized for search egines so google is on my forums all the time, but that is another story :huh: )

No, they make copies of the different forums and topics so they show up on google searches.

weird...but how come we cant use it and why is it a member

No, they make copies of the different forums and topics so they show up on google searches.

165028[/snapback]

ah i see

All it is is a nice feature of Invision board which instead of just coutnign the google bots as guests it displays the google bot as if it were a member.  Google is just doing its rutine index of the forums.

On phpbb boards you dont see this since it dosen't have that feature (plus google bot dosent' index or rarely indexes forums...thou my forums are optimized for search egines so google is on my forums all the time, but that is another story :rolleyes: )

165014[/snapback]

holy cow! i really am a tech idiot!..can ya say that slowly using non-computer related words? i don't even know why i'm postin here.. eek!

OK, now my head hurts from tryin ta figure it out..

OK, since I am bored I will tyr to explain this to you all...lol...

OK, google sends out bots, which are more commonly known as spiders to web pages to index them. this means the spider collects page information, maybe chaches it, etc. Now, as for why it is called a spider, it will "crawl" though the whole site by going to every link (even offsite links). By the spider in a way just browsing the site, it is able to add all those page to its index...so when you try to search for something you can fidn somethign related to your search term.

Also, since the spider goes off the site, it finds new sites to add to its index. That's pretty much how it works. When you see the google.com thing all the invision board software is telling you is that the google bot is "browsing" the forums. It realy isen't a member...it just looks like it. Also, there may be many bots on the same site at a time (I have had like 10 before on my forums and site all at once).

Hope that clears some things up. :rolleyes:

Also, there may be many bots on the same site at a time (I have had like 10 before on my forums and site all at once).

165046[/snapback]

would the bots be like: yahoo.com and msn.com?

If you try to trace the IPs they are usualy some subdomain of the site...so yes.

If you are realy that interested...I went and copied the domain of one of the googlebots that were on my forums a secound ago...

TraceRoute to 66.249.66.16 [crawl-66-249-66-16.googlebot.com]

so there you go...lol..now back to watching anime :rolleyes: