Eternal Lands Official Forums
Lyanna

What Is An Mmorpg?

Question: What is an MMORPG, and why is EL called one?

-Lyn-

P.S. Think carefully. It's a deeper question than what it appears to be. I'm obviously not just asking what the acronym MMORPG stands for.

Guest Narayan

:P I'm not sure I understand the question. Does MMORPG have some secret meaning that I'm not aware of? :P I always kinda thought it was called that because

a) It's an ORPG (online roleplaying game)

and

b)It's "massively" multiplayer, meaning a lot of people can play it.

I'm sure this isn't the response you're looking for, but it's been awhile since I experimented with hallucinogenic drugs so my right brain is shriveled and useless.

MMORPG

The visual representation of a fictional fantasy world, in which its inhabitants embark on quests/adventures to further their knowledge or effectiveness within the game. Said advancements were in 'skills' - certain actions that allowed the player to perform role/game based gestures; such as fighting, wizardry and the manufacturing of items or weaponry for use by the forger, or other inhabitants.

The inhabitants of such worlds are the players - the people who enjoy the rich and absorbing affect of a game.

The origins of ORP (online roleplaying games) stemmed from the original 'text' adventure games, in which the player would type commands to navigate and perform actions.

The visual representation of said fantasy worlds arrived when technology had advanced enough to create an array of pleasing and absorbing creatures, surroundings and sounds. This technology has advanced in such away as to allow multiple users to play the same 'world' at the same time. It also allows these players (or inhabitants) to interact and help each other, either in communication or by advancing in ones 'ing-game' skills.

I'm going to go with the community issue, helping other people and relying on other people.

without this, you may as well be playing a single-player game and have an instant messenger open in another window.

In EL, there is community, and few players are entirely self-reliant. It's the player to player interaction.

A MMORPG is a a group of likeminded people from diverse backgrounds and geographic locations meeting in a graphical representation of a world forming a community which allows for supporting and occasion combat situations.

Many

Organization

Really

Playing

a

Game

Or, In Grum's Case...

Massively

Mutated

Organism

Randomly

Perpetuated

by the

Government

Edited by Quinticus

MMORPG is, technically, a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But I see it as more of a meeting place with a purpose. It could be the mall or a park or a bar in real life. But via the computer and internet, it is a virtual environment with a theme. And like a park or a bar, there are various sub-games and activities that people can decide to join in. Community is one part of the equation. A "game board" with stats is another. And evolution (of community, skills and the "game" itself) is a third.

In the case of Eternal Lands, the theme is a fantasy realm. The activities are our skills, our guilds and the various quests and contests. And we evolve. Many of us have seen the game change tremendously. And everyone, I believe, is changed a bit by the interaction itself. In fact, I may go so far as to suggest that if a player does not evolve by the experience, then they were not, despite any stats they may have, actually playing the same game as the rest of us.

*agrees with Learner*

I've often been asked why I spend so much time playing games on the computer, specifically why I spend so much time playing this game (which no one around here has ever heard of [they all play WOW or Half-Life online]).

When I gave one of the non-computer people my answer, I had to explain some things that he didn't understand.

The fact that this particular game has such a close nit community, it really has become a second entity from the "real life" society to me. I mean honestly, of the average 300-400 players online, how many names do you know? you might not know the actual people, but you see those names on a regular basis... save the 50 or so people who play for about a week then leave to be replaced by someone else on the list, it's a fairly static display... Looking at the list right now, I know/have talked to/have seen almost every capitalized name on there (stupid bots won't talk to me :-S). I consider the people in our community as much friends as I do anyone around me in real life.

And so, I consider this game and MMORPG's in general and this one in particular to be an escape from the hectic schedule of my real life, a place where I can go to be among friends and leasurly sit around a camp fire and chat (or on the days when real life hasn't been so enjoyable bash the crap out of some ugly monster that reminds me of my boss....).

2 cents,

Swiss