Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quinticus

Judging The Contest

Hi Lyanna,

I've been trying to think of some people that would be good judges. I need to send out the invitation to judge pretty soon as the contest ends wednesday. Can you think of anyone other than yourself and roja? You two are the only ones i have down for an invitation. :D

I tried putting this through your PM but your box is full. Hopefully you'll see this.

:D

Hey, I just found a handy-dandy option. :) The "Set Invisible" topic... only forum mods and admin can see this, I'm guessing.

Anyway, Quint... Obviously, all contestants who have taken part cannot be judges, which is not good, because I did sorta want Derin and CK in. Okay, anyway... you can ask hmm... Try Placid, Lachesis, Lord Vermor, Kirianthis, Hazor, Wytter... Don't forget yourself.

Um... Ideally, people like Grum and Korhil would be even better, but I think they're too busy. Worth a shot, though. I don't know if Aisllinn and Soldus read this particular forum regularly (offhand, I don't think so), but if they do, you might want to try them too.

As for the judging, I suggest 4 areas:

5 marks - Spelling/Grammar/Punctuation, etc.

5 marks - Originality/Creativity

5 marks - Style/Skill-at-writing

5 marks - Judge's Bias/personal liking.

That means each judge ranks a story/poem out of a total of 5 points for each area... leading to a total of 20 points overall.

If you have 5 judges, that leads to exactly 100%. Divide by 2 to get the 50% Judges' vote, then open the other 50% for the Players' Vote.

Poll options only allow for 10 options maximum, so I think there's going to be a problem since we have too many entries. What we can do is ask the players to vote specifically for a winner (player), and if that writer has submitted more than one story, ask the voters to say which story they specifically voted for.

After that, it's in your hands. :) Ideally, I would like to remove myself from judging, so if you get more than 4 people willing to judge, then take me off the list. I don't have much time nowadays to work on EL, so the pace of development is going to slow down, I'm afraid. Got a mountain of work to do on all levels - short stories, integration work, player-submitted quests, larger world issues, quest developmental procedures, etc. And I can only spend 2 hours a day, max, on EL from now on. :(

-Lyn-

Ah, you can use this to contact me anytime my PM box is full. :) We can also use this for Storylines DevChat, since no one else can see it.

Lyanna's Massively-Huge To-Do List

Larger Storylines/Quest Development Issues

- Approve Derin's proposal for rewriting the God Quests. (Yes, they're going to be included in the new version...). Let LV know about this as well, so maybe they can work together. [done]

- Go through Roja's notes on summoning (and other-skill-I'm-not-allowed-to-mention-yet). [done]

- Compile and post Official Format for writing and submitting quests.

- Compile complete Wikipedia for EL writer's resources including NPC database, place names, historical figures, place histories, geography, historical events, etc. This can eventually replace the Historical Timeline.

- Support Gunslingers' Live Events and Roleplaying team

- Ask around about Bard bots... are they still active?

Small Quest Issues

- Finish writing new script for Tutorial NPC. [done]

- Read through and comment on LV's and Wildcard's quests

- Work on improving shasso's quests.

- Contact Galarandel about his idea for a quest.

- Keep tabs on the development of Ember's quest.

- Jezebelle/Crannog's second quest (following Mrs Lorpak) coming out soon.

- ttlanhil's (and group) quest coming out soon.

Storylines Issues

(Quint, if you can, help me out with these)

- Go through all stories submitted for contest and allocate them to different media for publication. Add them to Storylines Status.

- Convert stories into XML format for books.

- Contact Lachesis to ask about additional book graphics (stains, torn pages, cracks, diagrams, etc.)

- Proofreading and editing of all stories slotted for them under Storylines Status.

- Work on descriptions for Races and Cultures.

- Finish off Historical Timeline, and add links to the different stories (for each event) to it. Still a bunch of inconsistencies there, esp. WSC gates, Naralik Cat. elves, Fingolfin's Elven Palace location, foundings of major cities.

- Remind Chance to write his story. [done]

- Remind Grum to write his Dragon stories. [done]

- Organise a little reward for all Storylines Contest participants: Start topic on naming the EL celestial/heavenly bodies, and each participant gets to name a star/comet/heavenly body. Also, talk about the names and number of Draia's sun(s) and moon(s). Maybe delve into constellations and possible astrology/nomy. Is Draia itself a planet, or a moon orbiting a larger gas giant)? *

*Quint, you handle this. Just have fun. :) Serves to keep Storylines active while I'm away working on quests.

Main Story Issues

- Get Tumaros to answer me! No Great War = no proper historical setting for the curse. Have to rewrite to fit. [done]

- Work on quest scenarios to deal with the issues being raised by lack of death.

- Rewrite Lasud/Atekel's Past quest to reflect different Historical Eras of EL.

- Rewrite information given out by Luxin, Drial, Lasud, Bais, and other quest NPCs to more medieval form, and to make it consistent with EL's new story.

** Assign/delegate as much work as possible, so I can actually be able to DO all of these things**

**Compile Notes for My Successor, so that he/she can take over easily, if I have to leave at any time.** [started]

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

Bah, apparently Quinticus can't see this. Making it visible again. :)

Besides, I don't think there are any spoilers in what I posted, so it should be fine.

-Lyn-

Ok thanks lyanna for setting visable. I believe roja's working on getting me up to par on seeing invisable topics.

Your ideas on the judging system work very well. The mark system is very good, i'll use that. I was thinking the exact same for the public voting. My conundrum comes into where to place the voting thread. Since it is storylines i'm inclined to have the thread here. However, it is also an event and can be place in the events thread which has more posts which leads me to think that more people will participate. Yet, anyone that reads the storylines forum is more inclined to have better knowledge of such things.

What's your take on it?

Also i'm all for the constellations/suns thing. Sounds like a good time. I can also help as much as i can in transferring things into XML, ttlanhil i think can help with this as well. I'll talk to him about it. I'll do everything i can to help out in the storylines issues as i can. So worry as little as possible on those things.

Hey, I just found a handy-dandy option. :) The "Set Invisible" topic... only forum mods and admin can see this, I'm guessing.

Anyway, Quint... Obviously, all contestants who have taken part cannot be judges, which is not good, because I did sorta want Derin and CK in. Okay, anyway... you can ask hmm... Try Placid, Lachesis, Lord Vermor, Kirianthis, Hazor, Wytter... Don't forget yourself.

164192[/snapback]

Hrm... set as invisible actually just causes a board error, lol.

Anyway, I'm not sure about Derin, but I don't really care to judge my own work... it's just in there as background filler. Also, I'm thinking, to lighten the load, get several judges, but only have (4? 5?) judge each story.

Anyway... if I were you Quint, I'd post in Events, and then move it to Storylines, just setting it up so the "Moved ... ->" Link stays. :)

Lyanna, read my quest when you get a chance, I'm looking for your critism and such on it :-D

Hrm... set as invisible actually just causes a board error, lol.

Anyway, I'm not sure about Derin, but I don't really care to judge my own work... it's just in there as background filler. Also, I'm thinking, to lighten the load, get several judges, but only have (4? 5?) judge each story.

Anyway... if I were you Quint, I'd post in Events, and then move it to Storylines, just setting it up so the "Moved ... ->" Link stays. :)

164229[/snapback]

Great idea CK! i'll keep that in mind thursday when i'm stumbling through the set up process.

Depending on when the judging will occur I will judge is no one else is willing. Im not the best proofreader, but I can decide on the 4 topics posted and Lyanna's marking system. We are holding seperate categories for poety and stories right? Let me know if I can help!

- Brom the Storyteller

meh, if you make Hazor a judge he will give me a horrible score, just cuz he hates me :ph34r:

uh... maybe you can have judges only people not related to people in the contest? :D

Well, I'd offer to be a judge, but I already submitted entries

Then again, If you go with the judge pool idea, and have the judges mixed between entries, I could do that.

You could have the core group reviewing them to make sure the general pool of judges is fair,and require justification on points given or not given.

Being a contestant, I'm probably not a great choice, but hey, I'm available if yawl want me

As i have it, The judges currently are:

Roja

Aisllinn

Lord_Vermor

Quinticus

EQW222

However, i have had personal contact with each contestant. I have also accepted donations from a few as well. So i would like to remove myself from this list to ensure impartiality. Also Lyanna is overworked as it is, she would like to be removed as well. I would like to fill her position first as to keep things light for her.

If there are any volunteers that have not made any entries, please let me know on this thread or by way of forum PM.

Barring any last minute entries by new people, i have 9 people who wrote stories and 10 people who wrote poems. So, this is still within the restrictions of 10 options per poll if i am correct. So what i will do is have 2 separate polls for Poems/Songs and Short Stories in the public voting.

As far as the judges, i will use Lyanna's instructions as to the best way to go about it by the mark system. I've tried to get in touch with Grum in game, he's in my guild and i still can't get a hold of him. :ph34r: poor busy guy. But any volunteers having not posted entries are most certainly welcome.

Also has the invisible thing been squared away? I'm just wondering if i can set things as invisible and see them now.

Edited by Quinticus

164192[/snapback]

wouldnt this creat an unfair advantage to those who are friends with the judges?

Only if the judges don't judge fair.

Lyanna/Quinticus, did you move my poll? Where has it gone? :ph34r:

With regards

Lachesis

how could the jugdes judge fair in that situation? they could know some contestants, and like them, so give them a high score on that, but what about the contestants they dont know?

Edited by Alderan

As for the judging, I suggest 4 areas:

5 marks - Spelling/Grammar/Punctuation, etc.

5 marks - Originality/Creativity

5 marks - Style/Skill-at-writing

Are you referring to the last item in this list? I took that to mean a judge's "bias/personal liking" as to the story itself, not the person. Sometimes an overall feel to a story can be great, even though the grammar may be bad and their style of writing might not be so great. At least that's how I took that last one.

Oh, I see there is some misunderstanding. This axis is intended to reflect how much the judge likes the poem, not the author. You see? Of course the any result will depend on the judges personal taste, but I am convinced that any judge will attempt to be as fair as at all possible.

Edit: Hehe Aisllinn, you shared my thoughts. I need to make a red cross on my calendar :ph34r:

Edited by Lachesis

Why let moderators judge this contest? This is about the Eternal lands..I suggest pick a few players and add Roja and Entropy to the jury :ph34r:

Jez

Looking at Lyanna's list, it's not moderators that are chosen as judges. I'd even dare to suppose that she named people which she thought would have the right feeling for language. Of course she could only mention people she already knows a little.

I'm not sure about the following list, but I think not all named people are moderators:

Derin[/color] and CK in. Okay, anyway... you can ask hmm... Try Placid, Lachesis, Lord Vermor, Kirianthis, Hazor, Wytter... Don't forget yourself [Quinticus].

Um... Ideally, people like Grum and Korhil

red: moderators, orange: developers, green: neither.

And if I'm not mistaken, Quint is not a mod yet :ph34r:

Anyway, Id be happy to judge if need be, but I think it'd be good to have some "normal" players in the jury as well.

how could the jugdes judge fair in that situation? they could know some contestants, and like them, so give them a high score on that, but what about the contestants they dont know?

164412[/snapback]

Are you referring to the last item in this list?  I took that to mean a judge's "bias/personal liking" as to the story itself, not the person.  Sometimes an overall feel to a story can be great, even though the grammar may be bad and their style of writing might not be so great.  At least that's how I took that last one.

164413[/snapback]

Indeed, this option is not based on the judges personal liking to the person. In fact, I am asking that judges remain as impartial as they can and not let their opinion of the author reflect on their opinion of the individual work.

Why let moderators judge this contest? This is about the Eternal lands..I suggest pick a few players and add Roja and Entropy to the jury :ph34r:

Jez

164415[/snapback]

I agree with you, Jez, and i believe we have a system set up to reflect both what the players want and what the developers/people with more intimate knowledge of the Storylines efforts are looking for. We are going to be holding 2 separate votings. One will be for the general public to express their likes and dislikes, and the other will before those who have more intimate knowledge of SL endeavors to cast thier opinion.

There will be a 50/50 split in voting. The judges decision marks coupled with the percentage of those who voted in general vote will determine the winner.

Thus both sides are represented.

As far as the rewards and prizes are concerned. In actuality, no one is a loser in this contest. As it requires quite a bit of time and effort to write, i decided that it would be best to come up with great prizes for everyone. On top of the prizes listed Here, I have a magic sword, Rostogal Stones, and more EFEs coming from the developement team. The Top prizes go to those who "Win". However, i can promise a great prize to everyone who entered.

Edited by Quinticus