Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jimmythesaint

Afk Auto-boot

Do you think there should be an auto-boot for AFK after a set time?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be an auto-boot for AFK after a set time?

• Yes, there should be a disconnect for excessive AFK.
    • No, there should NOT be a disconnect for excessive AFK.
    • Indifferent - dont care either way.
    • Make them PK!

well, i saw 'the beam', so i figured it was the current one.

going to a chat-only type of area sounds great to me though

Well no, because I afk in isolated places so I don't get the local chatter. I don't want my screen filling up with that. I just don't think it's anybody else's business if somebody chooses to afk, there are many reasons to do so. I only think there should be restrictions on where they are allowed to do so for extended lengths of time. Hence the auto-tp away suggestion.

Booting if afk at Storages, Beam or other populated areas sounds a very good idea (think of those AFK'ing in VoTD!).

I also like the idea of 'limbo', or in the MUDS I used to play (years ago), it was called a Void, where you went if you'd been away to long.

I'd rather they get tp'd away, like in harvesting, than booted. That just doesn't seem fair.

And I still want to see my char, so I don't like the limbo/chat only idea.

no.....the point of goin afk is to be online...not to just forget....... i.e. i mostly know when im afk... or maybe its a emergency... and for a emergency get punished???? thats cruel......see if i go afk knowling i will go into some house or somthing most of the time....but i shouldnt get punished for going afk...thats really cruel... ;)  <_<

161063[/snapback]

We arent talking about emergencies here... well I guess we are if the emergency takes longer than an hour. And how is it punishing anyone for making them log back in? If anything its you punishing the other players by being on and not interacting or actually doing anything, making others game suffer.

Well no, because I afk in isolated places so I don't get the local chatter.  I don't want my screen filling up with that.  I just don't think it's anybody else's business if somebody chooses to afk, there are many reasons to do so.  I only think there should be restrictions on where they are allowed to do so for extended lengths of time.  Hence the auto-tp away suggestion.

161193[/snapback]

It doesnt really matter how "isolated" you are... you are still connected to the server. As pointed out before you are still using bandwidth that you dont pay for. Its only courteous to other players (not to mention the people that pay the bill every month for the bandwidth) that you log off to conserve bandwidth. Besides, people arent going afk in isolated places. Otherswise I wouldnt be noticing at them all the time.

You say there are many reasons for someone to go afk, but you only offer one (chatlogs). And its the best (only) reason Ive heard. Some sugestions are for you to have a friend who is actually playing email you a copy of the chatlog. That way you still get what you want and the rest of the community doesnt have to suffer for anyones selfishness.

I'd rather they get tp'd away, like in harvesting, than booted. That just doesn't seem fair.

And I still want to see my char, so I don't like the limbo/chat only idea.

161063[/snapback]

You have GOT to be kidding. You are leaving the game afk and you are still worried about being able to SEE your character? You arent even there!! What do you want to see? You want to see your character just sitting there "isolated" with absoultly nothing going on around at all? That seems lik you are just reaching for excuses now.

I actually like the limbo idea, but it would require much more work on the developers end than just a time out disconnect. Plus it doesnt really solve the problem of these people slowing the game down because they are still connected.

It may not seem like you are hurting the game at all. And at this point in the game with the relativly small user base you are generally right. But when this game, say doubles the active users, and there are 100 or so people going afk it will be very noticeable to the people trying to actually play.

The only other reason I can imagine someone actually being away from their computer and still having the game running is for Macroing. Which is what I naturally assume many people I see are doing. But I guess thats a little different subject.

Edited by jimmythesaint

You say there are many reasons for someone to go afk, but you only offer one (chatlogs).  And its the best (only) reason Ive heard.  Some sugestions are for you to have a friend who is actually playing email you a copy of the chatlog.  That way you still get what you want and the rest of the community doesnt have to suffer for anyones selfishness.

just having a semi-offline system like the void suggestion allows this without the rest of the issues.

I actually like the limbo idea, but it would require much more work on the developers end than just a time out disconnect.  Plus it doesnt really solve the problem of these people slowing the game down because they are still connected.

not really, have them go most of the way offline, but still hear guild and channel messages, it'd be a bit or work, but not a lot. and the messages are a small part of bandwidth, compared to the character/animal move events and all similar.

The only other reason I can imagine someone actually being away from their computer and still having the game running is for Macroing.  Which is what I naturally assume many people I see are doing.  But I guess thats a little different subject.

161236[/snapback]

no, that doesn't count, if they're macro-ing, then the server won't see them as idle

@jimmythesaint: Never assume, you make an ass of u and only u <_<

No, my remaining afk has nothing to do with macroing, and the mods can tell that anyway. Not even worth your mentioning.

I really don't have to offer you any reasons or explanations. I gave the most easily understandable one, there are others that I am quite sure you would NOT understand. Nor do I choose to get into it with you.

Obviously there is a problem with afkers in crowded areas, that is something we want to do something about, and has been discussed.

@jimmythesaint:  Never assume, you make an ass of u and only u  <_<

No, my remaining afk has nothing to do with macroing, and the mods can tell that anyway.  Not even worth your mentioning. 

I really don't have to offer you any reasons or explanations.  I gave the most easily understandable one, there are others that I am quite sure you would NOT understand.  Nor do I choose to get into it with you. 

Obviously there is a problem with afkers in crowded areas, that is something we want to do something about, and has been discussed.

161247[/snapback]

Dont get me wrong.. I wasnt accusing anyone of Macroing at all. I just said that I assume that many of the people I see are doing that. Simple misunderstanding .. thats all.

You are right you dont have to offer any reasons... but I did ask that if there was something I was missing for people to please let me know. That way I could make an informed opinion.. instead of just assuming people are afking for no reason. Otherwise you have no grounds for your argument and it appears like you are just blindly defending your opinion for no reason.

Perhaps my solution isnt the best one out there? There have been two other solutions mentioned here that have atleast allowed me to think of the AFK issue differently.

And an update... Solodus just gave me a reason for Mods to be on to get logs and I can certainly see where their logs are important.

:) OMG!! I made this suggestion ages ago, I said that people who AFK at storage areas should be teleported for a couple of reasons......

1.They cause lag in those areas

2. When storage areas become busy,it can be hard to actually get to the storage bot

Theres no need to disconnect people who are AFK, as its been pointed out, people remain online so they can recieve messages from people, this can come in handy when someone has something important to tell you, but isn`t going to be around when you are. I do hope the make them PKable was added for a joke :)

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...1&st=&p=entry

Edited by WiLdCaRd

lol stupid to d/c a few noobs that r afk.... doesnt make much diffrent..

lol stupid to d/c a few noobs that r afk.... doesnt make much diffrent..

161516[/snapback]

*cough**cough*Who are you calling noob???!!!*cough**cough* :)

*cough**cough*Who are you calling noob???!!!*cough**cough* :)

161544[/snapback]

Since Shivar goes AFK too, he's probably admitting his n00bness :P

Wildcard has a point, I remember the thread. The fact that has been pointed out is that AFK'ing at storages or busy areas does pose a problem, therefore, something could be done about teleporting people away from these storages (using similar methods to harvesting teleports, except on a wider range).

A lot of people seem to refuse that afk is a problem! I have a 1 MB connection and I get severe lag at storages, therefore it is a problem. As pointed out, imagine if it you had a dial up connection!

Dis/Advantages of AFK:

Any advantage to afk is negated after 45 minutes. The only reason to stay connected after this is so people can peruse chat logs and messages. Some people also 'like' the idea of the character staying in EL. El also seems to be more populated (although this is just an illusion). All very self indulgent reasons.

Dis/Advantages of not allowing AFK:

Lag improves at storage areas for all, particularly those with slow connections. Players can target the storage bot more easily. All very practicle reasons.

Obviously the main issue is to ensure fairness for all - players who afk, particularly near storages, ARE degrading the game experience for others.

In my opinion, Jimmythesaint, Wildcard and Placid are quite correct, this is a problem. How to solve it? I like the idea of 'porting afk players away from storage. I'm not sure if being connected, but away from storage, is as serious an issue as going afk at storage areas? Maybe this could work?

Edited by MarantZ

Have you thought about the powersaving perk? Just came into my mind

Forgot about that!! Never had it though. What exactly does it do?

Edited by MarantZ

Ah! I knew food level didn't decrease, but I wasn't sure how research affected it. I can see it is indeed worthless.

Edited by MarantZ

Do you know why i voted no.

it is very simple.

bandwidth is cheap.

unless you live in africa .

didnt bother reading past pking? something like that why...cause im lazy..you should know that by now anywayzzzzz, ive stayed afk for like 5-6hours or so why..not sure..maybe that way i could get a message so my meek and pathetic life would be brightened..oh ya pm me :P lol but actually ya i know a fewpeople that stay afk for long periods of time..oh hiya asgnny, there sohuld be a disconnect after like 8 hours ..if ur not back in 8 hours ..why'd u leave the game on..agian didnt read the other stuff cause ..see above

Do you know why i voted no.

it is very simple.

bandwidth is cheap.

unless you live in africa .

As has been said, it isn't actually the bandwidth that is the problem - it's the fact you are connected. Your connection means that there is another character that everyone else's pc has to process. It is this graphical processing of all the characters at storage that causes the problem at storages for everyone's pc's! If you aren't connected, there are less character models to process, therefore that jerkiness that everyone experiences in vastly improved.

Additionally, your statement of 'bandwidth is cheap' infers that everyone should pay for bandwidth so that they can cater for people who want to be self indulgent and not log off. Not what I'd call 'fair'.

As has been said, it isn't actually the bandwidth that is the problem - it's the fact you are connected. Your connection means that there is another character that everyone else's pc has to process. It is this graphical processing of all the characters at storage that causes the problem at storages for everyone's pc's! If you aren't connected, there are less character models to process, therefore that jerkiness that everyone experiences in vastly improved.

161822[/snapback]

Exectly! Nothing to add.

It's really annoying when one's FPS is falling down to one-digit values and there are mostly players being afk around. I think that uplugging them is, maybe, too drastic, but I think they should be teleported to other area (still think Hell is best place for them :P).

Edited by vanyel

Aaargh lol, nobody is arguing the point that afking at public places is bad. I totally agree. I think everybody here does. :P