Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jimmythesaint

Afk Auto-boot

Do you think there should be an auto-boot for AFK after a set time?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be an auto-boot for AFK after a set time?

• Yes, there should be a disconnect for excessive AFK.
    • No, there should NOT be a disconnect for excessive AFK.
    • Indifferent - dont care either way.
    • Make them PK!

I notice this a lot. People will go AFK for hours on end... in some cases a whole 24 hours or more.

I constantly see people in the EXACT same place they were hours or even a day before. These are not bots we are talking about and Im sure there would be some exception to the rule for them.

Im suggesting that if you go AFK for say, an hour, you should get automaticly disconnected from the server.

I suggest this for two reasons:

1. Why would you sit AFK for multiple hours? Once you run out of food you arent researching anymore. That takes what... 40 minutes?

2. The people who are AFK are still connected to the games server which does use bandwidth which ultimatly slows the game for everyone else. Granted its not much, but if you have 50 people all AFK; then thats 50 other people that are having a laggy game and cant enjoy the game fully.

Maybe Im missing something here that is a good reason for these people to AFK for days at a time? Please vote in the poll and if you have something constructive to offer, pease do.

Nah, just make them PK'able after 1 hr until their first death.

160863[/snapback]

LOL, I think thats slightly drastic :P

Jimmy, i've suggested this before, in a different thread (I think about macroing mainly). However, within your suggestions, the only real advantage is that it would save bandwidth (certainly a worthy reason!), however, I don't actually know whether people are affected that much by people sitting afk. The only badnwidth they use is a quick 'ping' to the server to tell it their still alive (which is every 15 seconds when not doing anything). Depending on the size of these packets, it COULD save bandwidth, but is that really worth it?

the ping only would only count if they're in an area with no activity though... AFK at storage will get a lot of traffic, if my network conneciton light is any indiciation :P

Ok so the only pro is to save bandwidth... so where is the con? :P

Also, it does cause lag from FPS going down with extra people on the screen... esp in storage.

Edited by jimmythesaint

the ping only would only count if they're in an area with no activity though... AFK at storage will get a lot of traffic, if my network conneciton light is any indiciation :P

160875[/snapback]

Good point. Then perhaps there should be some sort of afk auto boot, i'll vote yes...for now :)

I think the server should kick the players that are 'AFK' for a long time, like maybe 1-2 hours, no less..

But only if they have the AFK status for that many hours...

No, there should not be auto disconnect.

People stay afk for various reasons, I don't think they should be punished. I DO agree they shouldn't afk at storages or beam or populated areas. Those people should be tp'd to another remote area perhaps. But I don't think it's for somebody else to decide if somebody has a worthy reason for sitting afk.

But if they are not at the computer for two hours or longer, why should they still be on? after that long, it's unlikely that even chatlogs would be all read. you can save resources simply by logging them off

When there comes a time when the server is sometimes full up this afk kick would probably need to be implemented as it would be unfair if there was competition to access the server. So in the long run it would probably be neccessary.

There are the messenger bots for guilds that currently probably go afk for large stretches of time. As they are programmed all the they need to get around a kick would be a #ping or #storage every so many minutes.

Why do players stay afk?

I stay AFK while at work and sleep, and connected to the game 24 hours a day.

Why? for one it makes the game look more populated and not so barren at certain times, and two, people can PM me and leave messages, and three, it doesn't seem right to just pop in and out of the EL world......my guy sleeps........I do wish I could make him lay down and go to sleep though.

doesn't seem like a big deal to me......I have a cable connection that never shuts down for various reasons, so I am logged in 24/7.

I do sit near beam at night........kind of like I am camped out around the fire with others after a long day of fighting.......

Edited by JohnnyWrath

I think that only people AFK near storages should be disconnected or TP-ed. Players should have the option to go AFK if they want to, but they should only do so in sparsely populated ares.

The main issue is that many people experience a lot of lag and low framerates near storages due to the large number of people. Removing AFK people from storages would reduce the problem.

Also, AFK people at storage use more bandwidth because they receive more local chat messages and packets saying people/animals are moving around and entering/leaving their field of view.

What about people reading books? I think booting or any other idea for "AFK" people is ridiculous.  ;)

160925[/snapback]

after 45minutes, max, they're not researching anymore.

well, with the client im using, if i am not actually pressing keys on the keyboard, i go afk, i usually am afk while crafting because im only clicking and not typing...

No because what if the are helping their mom or dad or somone and theye are afk...after 1hr if you make em PKable and they die ...

What if they have there fav pair of plate on and a thermil sword??

not to fair eh?

I like the tp idea. Teleport them to Underworld (especially ppl being afk near resources, storages, beam and other places like those). It would be really crowded in very short time.

no.....the point of goin afk is to be online...not to just forget....... i.e. i mostly know when im afk... or maybe its a emergency... and for a emergency get punished???? thats cruel......see if i go afk knowling i will go into some house or somthing most of the time....but i shouldnt get punished for going afk...thats really cruel... :o <_<

Definitely, I don't like the PK idea, I sometimes have gone AFK cause I fell asleep while playing! I don't wanna die in my sleep!

If the booting is necessary, or a tp, I wouldn't be too against that.

Lets Add the MUD idea in this. In my MUD game when people dont respond we send them to "Limbo" as soon as they are not afk anymore they come back to wherever they were, or Beam would not be a bad idea. If the player is idle long enough, the server logs them out and sends them back to the login screen. Its not hard to just type your username and password back in and log back in.

So I purpose a "Limbo" area with just a simple teleport out to the beam or if possible back to where they were before.

Note: this "Limbo" would be a great spot for afk'ers :)

what's with the people who think being disconnected is a punishment? getting PKable would be, but disconnected? you're not playing anyway, so all that happens is you don't get messages...

the 'limbo' idea would work for this too, actually, semi-offline, you're in chat mode only so you get messages, but no need for the locational information

but beam would be a bad idea, that's where a lot of traffic is already

I WANT to stay connected, I don't want to be told I can't. I get many messages this way and can follow chatlogs of specific channels I do not want to miss. (Do not tell me I won't read them when I come back, I do.) I could say "what's with the people who think they know what's best for everybody else?" <_<

I don't think you understood what we meant by "beam"...we mean teleport people AWAY from beam or storage or wraith, anyplace that is populated if they afk there.